It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Do you use olive oil on your skin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
    siren3

siren3 HB User
    Do you use olive oil on your skin?

Do you use it as a cleanser or a moisturizer? Do you wear it under makeup with no problems? I can only buy the grocery store kind and I think I've already purchased two bad brands that were either rancid or just of poor quality. Would Bertolli be a good grocery brand? Do you have any tips about olive oil? Thank you. =)

p.s. I know I'm supposed to get extra virgin olive oil, but every time I've tried it it seemed acidic. It slightly stung my eyes (only a split second and not badly like a soap or cleanser), and it didn't really moisturize my lips it seemed, again this could be that the brands I bought were rancid. They were stored near sunlight in the grocery store! Any thoughts about this?

Last edited by siren3; 04-28-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User
    Re: Do you use olive oil on your skin?

I don't use it personally, as I find it a little too heavy, but I know a little about carrier oils. You should use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) because it has not been chemically processed & retains all of the benefits. So any grocery brand that says extra virgin is fine.

Olive oil is a very stable oil - it doesn't turn rancid easily at all - and it doesn't need refrigeration (bit it can be refrigerated wtihout any problems). However, it should be stored in a cool, dark place - sunlight can cause it to oxidize & become rancid. So it's best to look for oil that is in dark bottles or light-resistant plastic containers.

I found this tip on the internet: to understand whether your oil is of good quality, try frying a few drops in a pan. If they loose their greenish shine and go dark the oil is not good.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
    Emster

Emster HB User

I use it on my hair when its fried.

Emster

Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
    joche

joche HB User

I used it in the past as a moisturizer. Now I use camellia oil. Camellia oil is lighter weight. I also use camellia to remove make-up and on my hair after shampoo.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
    siren3

siren3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
    I don't use it personally, as I find it a little too heavy, but I know a little about carrier oils. You should use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) because it has not been chemically processed & retains all of the benefits. So any grocery brand that says extra virgin is fine.

Olive oil is a very stable oil - it doesn't turn rancid easily at all - and it doesn't need refrigeration (bit it can be refrigerated wtihout any problems). However, it should be stored in a cool, dark place - sunlight can cause it to oxidize & become rancid. So it's best to look for oil that is in dark bottles or light-resistant plastic containers.

I found this tip on the internet: to understand whether your oil is of good quality, try frying a few drops in a pan. If they loose their greenish shine and go dark the oil is not good.
    Thank you for the info Blue-eyedBelle. I think I will try to fry a few drops in a pan to make sure it isn't rancid. That's a good tip, thanks again! Do you use any oils yourself?

Old 04-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
    siren3

siren3 HB User

Thanks for the other replies.. I might try camellia oil someday, right now it is too pricey for me. Anyone else with some more tips for using olive oil? Know a good brand? How do you wear it under makeup? Thank you!

Old 04-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #7
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Yes - I use emu oil - and a mix of jojoba, hazelnut, evening primrose, & borage seed oils along with some essential oils. Then I also make a body scrub with several different oils in it.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #8
    defdafi
    (male)

defdafi HB User

Hi everyone,
    olive oil is great!!! I use it for my skin and especially between my toes; it's a formidable moisturazer!!!!
    It's also good for hair... I use it instead of gel!!!

I personally use the extra light olive oil, either Bertolli or Star, cuz of the smell!!

I also recommend using olive oil as a dip for bread......especailly with some cream cheese or Brie ...... The best oil for this purpose is Bertolli Robusto..... It's delicious!!!

Old 05-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
    siren3

siren3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
    Yes - I use emu oil - and a mix of jojoba, hazelnut, evening primrose, & borage seed oils along with some essential oils. Then I also make a body scrub with several different oils in it.
    Cool, I might try some of those someday. I don't think my skin likes extra virgin olive oil.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #10
    siren3

siren3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defdafi
    Hi everyone,
    olive oil is great!!! I use it for my skin and especially between my toes; it's a formidable moisturazer!!!!
    It's also good for hair... I use it instead of gel!!!

I personally use the extra light olive oil, either Bertolli or Star, cuz of the smell!!

I also recommend using olive oil as a dip for bread......especailly with some cream cheese or Brie ...... The best oil for this purpose is Bertolli Robusto..... It's delicious!!!
    Thanks, I'm thinking my skin might do better using the light version as well.

Closed Thread