It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Curly hair--mousse or gel?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
    Arrow Curly hair--mousse or gel?

Hello all,
    I've been using gel in my curly hair for years. When I first learned how to love my curls (when I was little I hated them because my mom didn't really style my hair with anything, and it was pretty much just FUZZY), I tried using mousse, but I found that my hair was still quite frizzy, after it had air dried. Now, my regular "hair doing" routine is--spray in conditioner, then I use about a toonie sized amount (I'm Canadian ) of gel (I think it's Dippity Doo--I'm kind of broke lately so I can't splurge on expensive gels--especially if I don't know if it'll work on my hair--but anyway, it says it's for curls). Sometimes I blow dry it with a diffuser, and sometimes I let it air dry. It works okay for me, but sometimes I find that the curls turn out crunchy because of the gel, and I was just wondering if a mousse would make them softer, or am I better off using something that is stronger? I'm really opposed to using mousse if it won't define the curls, and just make my hair look frizzy. Does anybody know of any great mousses (or gels) for my curls?? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User
    Re: Curly hair--mousse or gel?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiskersOnKittens
    Hello all,
    I've been using gel in my curly hair for years. When I first learned how to love my curls (when I was little I hated them because my mom didn't really style my hair with anything, and it was pretty much just FUZZY), I tried using mousse, but I found that my hair was still quite frizzy, after it had air dried. Now, my regular "hair doing" routine is--spray in conditioner, then I use about a toonie sized amount (I'm Canadian ) of gel (I think it's Dippity Doo--I'm kind of broke lately so I can't splurge on expensive gels--especially if I don't know if it'll work on my hair--but anyway, it says it's for curls). Sometimes I blow dry it with a diffuser, and sometimes I let it air dry. It works okay for me, but sometimes I find that the curls turn out crunchy because of the gel, and I was just wondering if a mousse would make them softer, or am I better off using something that is stronger? I'm really opposed to using mousse if it won't define the curls, and just make my hair look frizzy. Does anybody know of any great mousses (or gels) for my curls?? Thanks!!

Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

I also have curly hair that will look "fuzzy" if I don't use anything like gel or mousse on it. The best one I've found is "Slick Works" in the Paul Mitchell line. However, it's not cheap! Also, it's hard to find in the States unless you get it at a beauty shop. The best price I could find for it was at Drug Emporium, but I don't know if you have those in Canada. Then, when the price went up there, I found some on Ebay, which turned out to be the very best place. I now have 5 tubes of it which will last me about two years, and that's using it every day. My hair is short, so if yours is long, it wouldn't last as long, obviously. Anyway, you might try checking on Ebay for it. Since you don't have to use so much of it, I find the expense is not so bad.

Carole

Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
    lindao1
    Veteran
    (female)

lindao1 HB User

Hi!

I don't have curly hair but a friend does. What she swears by is Infusion 23 leave in conditioner. It gives her beautiful curls without one bit of frizz. She always says that without the Infusion leave-in product, she would be one mophead of frizz. And her hair is really curly. I've never seen curls this gorgeous on anyone else!

As for a gel or mousse, I find a mousse tends to make my hair softer. Gels always seem to get sticky if I don't blowdry my hair. Biolage makes a hydrating mousse that may help you. I know you're on a budget, so Tresemme (sp?) also makes a moisture mousse which is really good. My concern is volume so I use products for that but just wanted to let you know what my curly-haired friend uses.

Hope this helps! Linda

Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
    WhiskersOnKittens
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the responses guys! I will try some of those out.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
    wyliemase

wyliemase HB User

I have really curly hair and use Biosilk glazing gel. I have spent so much money trying things out and this is the only thing I find that works. I personally hate mousse. I just put some in after towel drying it and go. No frizz

Old 05-20-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
    melanie in mary
    Veteran
    (female)

melanie in mary HB User

INFUSIUM LEAVE IN TREATMENT. i ALSO LIKE FINESSE CURL DEFINING MOUSSE. Has anyone read the book by Lorainne Massey, Curly Girl? Basically you only use conditioner on your hair, it has tranfrormed my hair into soft, silky hair...trust me it used to be a big frizz ball. Try it.

Closed Thread