It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• skin bleaching creams

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
    bloomingskye

bloomingskye HB User
    skin bleaching creams

have very fair skin yet dark hair and I also suffer from body dysmorphic disorder. I am concerned with my skin mostly on my face and was wondering if bleaching creams are effective on dark freckles. I went to a plastic surgeon to ask to get them removed but he said they were too small and the only thing he could do was discolor them a little bit, so when hearing that I wasn't too happy. I was wondering if anyone has tried the bleaching creams and if anyone has had small freckles deep inside their skin removed, and if so the price range? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
    Sara Dancer
    Inactive

Sara Dancer HB User
    Lightbulb Re: skin bleaching creams

I have used hydroquinone (sp?) and it does work. However, the most effective thing I've done was Obagi. I applied Obagi Clear every morning along with .1% Retin-A every evening for seven weeks and then had a Blue Peel. The products make your face red and peeling, like a sunburn, so I put the product on my chest, neck, and shoulders so that it would look more even. Both products can be bought at your plastic surgeon's office.

You need to use the products for a minimum of 6 weeks before a Blue peel to prevent discoloration or darkening of your skin. The Blue peel makes your face blue and then when it starts coming off it's patchy so you shouldn't leave the house for a week. Afterwards, almost all of my sun damage was gone along with many of my freckles. More importantly, I immediately looked 3-4 years younger!

Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
    vboredatwork
    (female)

vboredatwork HB User
    Re: skin bleaching creams

I agree with Sara Dancer. I've heard great things about the Obagi system. The only thing is it's pricey and the peel has some recovery time. The main thing is to use a high SPF sunscreen to stop your freckles getting darker. All the bleaching creams and peels in the world will be rendered useless if you're not dilligent with sunscreen and that includes on cloudy winter days. I've seen some prescription pill that is supposed to fade freckles but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Try doing a google search.

Old 05-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
    Soar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soar HB User

Hi there!!! I started using the hydroquinone- cream ...does it work on moles too? Just curious. I do not really want to remove them---just fade 'em!! My moles have been checked out and they are not cancerous but dark- Thanks for your replys!

Old 05-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User

I've been using hydroquinone creams on my acne scars for over a month now and yes, they work - but expect a very gradual improvement. I am still nowhere near where I want to be with faded scars. I can notice a slight fading, but trust me, it is not a miracle or anything. Perhaps it works faster with some people, but for me it is taking several weeks... just a warning!

If you have the cash, you should get photo facial treatments at your plastic surgeon's office (some salons also offer it)... I'm getting it done shortly. It is specifically for fading sun spots, age spots, scars, etc. Look it up!

Old 05-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
    TJM

TJM HB User
    What is this Obagi? I've never heard of it before. Where does a person purchase it?

Old 05-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
    Sara Dancer
    Inactive

Sara Dancer HB User

Obagi can be purchased at your local plastic surgeon's office. Obagi Clear costs somewhere around $65 and lasts about a month.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
    TJM

TJM HB User
    Local? I just looked under plastic surgeons in my phone book. It's a 4.5 hour drive to the nearest one.

Can you explain the blue mask in detail for me? It sounds like you put it on and leave it on your face. Within a week it will peel off. Thus you're housebound for a week. Is this correct? Does this hurt?

Old 05-31-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User

Do a search for Obagi and you'll find the official website for their products...if you go to the Acne section, it'll tell you everything about the system. I think it includes several weeks of prepping your skin with their products, leading to your skin being ready for a blue peel. The prepping period is to bring out impurities in your skin as much as possible first, which leads usually to breaking out pretty bad. When you're ready for the blue peel, it's done at the office and left on for a while...I think it burns a little, at least according to the website. It leaves your skin tinted blue, then yes you are housebound for a week or so as your face basically peels off. Supposedly it makes a drastic difference in acne scars. I'd be willing to try it if I could figure out a way to be housebound for a week without my work noticing.. hehe

If anyone's interested, I'll keep an update on my photo facials, to see if they make any difference in discolourations.

Closed Thread