It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Naval Piercing Rejected :-(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
    euglena
    (female)

euglena HB User
    Naval Piercing Rejected :-(

To those of you who have a bellybutton ring:

I got mine pierced in February of this year, and since then it's never properly healed. It moved more and more towards the surface, and today, while I brushed by a counter, the entire barbel ripped out of my bellybutton, tearing open the thinned piece of flesh that held it in place.

Naturally my shirt got all bloody and my poor bellybutton looks aweful, but at least it doesn't hurt.

Anyways, my question is:

How long did your piercing take to heal?
    How did you treat it during the first year?
    I was told by my piercer to wash it twice daily with sea salt, which for me seemed to have aggravated my piercing even more.
    I have my ears pierced, and they're doing fine - no problemo.

I really want my bellybutton pierced - I have such beautiful jewelry for it too - so I am going to get it repierced in about a year or so after my wound properly heals.

In the meantime I'm interested in proper care. I don't think I"ll go back to the same piercer and do a salt soak.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
    ILikeRats

ILikeRats HB User
    Re: Naval Piercing Rejected :-(

Hi,

It took about 4 months for my piercing to heal completely. What kind of jewelry did you have? Mine was unusual because it was pierced with something called tygon (which is thin flexible tubing) until it was healed. Then I put a titanium barbell in.

I did the sea salt soaks for about a month but then got lazy. After that, I just washed it once a day in the shower with Provon soap.

Sea salt soaks can aggravate your piercing if you use too much salt. I used a quarter (1/4) teaspoon per shot glass full of DISTILLED water. What ratio did you use?

The main reasons a piercing will reject:

1) Your anatomy is not well suited for a piercing and/or the piercer did not pierce correctly based on your anatomy.
    2) The jewelry was a poor quality metal. You most likely have a stainless steel grade 316 ring. Next time, insist on only Stainless Steel 316LVM (not just 316) grade or on titanium. It will be more expensive, but it is worth it. In my opinion, high quality titanium jewelry should be the only type used until the piercing heals. Some people heal barbells better than rings (and vice versa), so maybe you should try a titanium curved barbell next time.
    3) Trauma to the piercing (even just one event) could cause it to start rejecting.
    4) Poor aftercare. I think you tried hard, so unless you never cleaned the piercing, it's not your fault, but you may need to change your sea salt to water ratio for future soaks.

Find someone who has been doing body piercing for several years at least. Don't go to the cheapest shop you can find. In my city, a good quality navel piercing and jewelry runs about $45-$50. Try to find the studio in your town with the highest standards.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
    euglena
    (female)

euglena HB User

Thank you so much. It sounds like I used a waaaay too high sea salt ratio to water. I used about an entire teaspoon in warm water in a shot glass.
    I did clean everyday religiously for 4 months.

I paid a lot for my piercing - like 120$.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
    Saka
    Veteran

Saka HB User

I pretty much did the same cleansing regime as ILikeRats though I just used normal table salt. And I too got lazy after about a month. But mine healed within about 3 months and I had no probs.

My mum's grew out though and she too wants to get it done again. She tried all sorts of things to help it heal but none of it worked. The place we went to was a pretty good place but if she gets it done again she is going to a place called The Piercing Shop that only does piercings, nothing else.

Last edited by Saka; 07-20-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
    monkeygirl777

monkeygirl777 HB User

Mine never healed. I wore it for about 8 months and finally gave up. It was always oozing and grew a keloid scar around it, so it would have been disgusting anyway. Even after I took it out, the scar was left. I cleaned it with alcohol and applied antiseptic cream every few hours. Glad it's gone, I got a nice tattoo to cover up the scar.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Mine was mostly healed within three months, but wasn't *completely* healed until about 6 months.

I was told to only wash it once a day with a mild antibacteria soap & the rest of the time to leave it alone. Not to touch it - not to play with the barbell - nothing. I was told I could do a sea salt soak if I wanted, but it wasn't necessary. I also take 1000mg of Vitamin C daily - this not only helps fight colds & such, but it promotes tissue healing.

I've known a few people who rejected their piercing - in all cases it was the jewelry. I would definitely go with a surgical grade of steel or titanium - less chance for a rejection. I've found that if I wear a *lesser grade* even now, after a year and a half, after a few days, it will irritate my piercing - much like *cheap* earrings used to irritate my ears. I've learned to wear quality jewelry in all my piercings.

Just a few notes on cleaning - you shouldn't use alcohol or peroxide - it's too irritating. Just an antibacterial soap (and I was told to use a clear one - something about the added color being irritating) once a day & sea salt soaks as needed. And never touch the piercing without washing your hands first - better yet - don't touch it at all unless you're cleaning it.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
    euglena
    (female)

euglena HB User

Thank you so much for your replies.

It will probably take a year or more for the scar to heal and fade into a reasonable colour, but I've copied and pasted your advice into a word document and will consult it again when I go for the repiercing.

I will definitely go for mild antibacterial soaps like spectroderm once a day and go easy on the salt soaks.

Thank you, this is a wonderful example (out of thousands I'm sure) of the power of sharing information.

Thank you to the moderators as well for keeping everything in order!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:46 AM   #8
    breiten

breiten HB User

Hi,
    I just got my navelpiercing in germany...only few days. But it looks not bad now...

I use few drops of Kamillen Konzentrat with a bit water to clean it twice a day. Then 2 drops of tree oil. Dont touch it so often. Better no bath.keep the piercing part dry.

Also keep fit. Otherwise u feel the piercing part is streching. en!? not so good feeling

ciao
    breiten

Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

I never used sea salt I just used dial in the shower twice a day and sprayed with Bactine for the first 2 weeks.

It took about 2-3 months before it felt like it had healed. At that time I took it out and put in a another (nicer!) ring.

The first few months it is a bit temperimental - some days it was fine and others it would be all red and sore. When it was hot and humid and stick it seemed to get more infected but over all I had no problem.

With your bellyring, it sounds like they didn't pierce it deep enough. But, luckily for you, the naval area seem to heal up quite quickly (try forgetting to put one in over night and watch how fast the hole heals up!!!)

Old 07-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue-eyedBelle
    I've known a few people who rejected their piercing - in all cases it was the jewelry. I would definitely go with a surgical grade of steel or titanium - less chance for a rejection. I've found that if I wear a *lesser grade* even now, after a year and a half, after a few days, it will irritate my piercing - much like *cheap* earrings used to irritate my ears. I've learned to wear quality jewelry in all my piercings.Good luck!
    Yes, that is SO true. My original ring was fine and then I noticed after I'd changed it it started to itch a lot and then go red and puss coming out. Urgh!!

Once I changed it, it got better.

I don't think its so much money (my new one recently only cost 25 bucks and its fine) but the quality. If it has nickel in it its likely to irritate.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
    problema

problema HB User

I had my belly pierced and I got VERY lucky. I was totally healed and switched bars in only 3 months. Naturally it would take 3-6 months or even a year! Salt water is good for like the first week but after that you should try just using (colorless) anti-bacterial soap. Make sure you dont put the soap directly on it. Water it down in something and just use soapy water. While you are cleaning it move the bar in and out and in circles. Make sure you do the same thing when you rinse because you SHOULD NEVER have anything left underneathe the skin or it will get infected. You should play with it throughout the day so that it wont heal all around the piercing and resort to it not having room to STAY in . You obviously experienced the results in that.

NEVER use peroxide..rubbing alcohol....or any creams. Dont even put a bandage over it TOO often because it needs oxygen to heal properly.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by problema
    You should play with it throughout the day so that it wont heal all around the piercing and resort to it not having room to STAY in
    This is the opposite of what I was told & of what I've always read. I was told to not touch the piercing at all unless I had washed my hands first & was getting ready to clean the piercing. Otherwise there is too great of risk of introducing bacteria to the piercing. Moving it around when you cleanse it is more than enough to keep the piercing *free*.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:38 PM   #13
    problema

problema HB User

Of course you have to wash your hands when you touch it but you need to move it during the day. The skin around it will heal up and become tighter around the piercing. You want it to heal with space so that you can easily insert a new one when you are ready. I did this and I healed up with no problem. I switch piercings all the time and it only took a little less then 3 months.

Last edited by problema; 07-25-2004 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #14
    Blue-eyedBelle
    Senior Veteran

Blue-eyedBelle HB User

Well I'm sure we all had different experiences, but I never moved mine unless I was cleansing it & it never got tight. It was mostly healed at 3 months & I changed the jewelry at that time & have done so on a regular basis since then.

I would just encourage everyone to go to a reputable piercer & then follow the instructions THEY give you. Most will not *stand* behind their work if you don't follow their instructions.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #15
    damaged_tirips
    (female)

damaged_tirips HB User

Wow, $120 sounds way expensive! I paid $45 for mine and it has done pretty good. I washed mine carefully with antibacterial soap, and even the technician said not to, I put hydrogen peroxide to help it, and it worked too, So I guess you just have to try things a little at a time to see what works for your body's chemistry.

Closed Thread