It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Best facial exfoliator I've ever used...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2002, 10:00 PM   #1
    DianaElizabeth

DianaElizabeth HB User
    Post Best facial exfoliator I've ever used...

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to give you a simple and cheap alternative to using premade, store-bought exfoliating creams and washes for your face. These treatments can be harsh on your skin because of the difference in the size of the ground up apricot kernels in them, etc. The rough kernel pieces can tug at your skin and make tiny micro tears on the surface of your skin--an easy way to inflame your skin and also to allow bacteria to invade the area and cause blemishes.

What I use is plain old Baking Soda. I keep a little shaker of it in my over-the-sink cabinet and every other night or so, when I'm washing my face, I sprinkle a little bit into my hand and massage it into my face along with my regular face wash. I focus on my nose, forhead and chin, taking extra care to scrub out my pores and get off the flaky skin if I have any.

Doing this removes the dead skin cells, which if left, can clog pores and cause pimples and black heads. This helps my skin stay soft and clear. It's great to prepare your skin for summer and to get off all the "winter skin" dead stuff.

If some of you do try it, let me know how you like it. It's only about .59 a box and will last you a long time. It's a grea remedy for black heads, acne, AND dry, dull, flaky skin.

I first read about this remedy years ago, when I had acne and was doing research on skin care. Since trying it and sticking with it, now my skin is clear and smooth. This is one of the best home remedies I have ever tried!

Hope this helps some of you out there...
    Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User
    Wink

I buy a lot of exfolicaters and im gonna try your way next time good stuff that baking powder http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 05-03-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
    DianaElizabeth

DianaElizabeth HB User
    Good, I hope you do try it! It seriously works very well. The reason is, because each little piece of baking soda is exactly the same size and shape...and since they are cirular, (not rough and irregular like the ground up shards and kernels) the little beads exfolliate gently but effectively with no tiny tears in your skin. It's great. Plus, you can't beat a beauty product that is under a dollar! Especially one that works well!
    Good luck!
    Diana

Old 05-03-2002, 04:33 PM   #4
    nicola76
    Inactive

nicola76 HB User
    Cool

Hello Diana

That sounds like a great idea! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes! Thx!

Nicola

Old 05-04-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I just tried it, after all I use baking soda for my teeth now and then as well as cleaning. It felt refreshing and it really feels like it is exfoliating. I expected it to leave it feeling dry but it isn't and I didn't use my facial cleanser yet as I wanted to try the soda alone. It really is refreshing for a cheap alternative to expensive and not so pure exfoliators. Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-27-2002, 02:42 PM   #6
    DianaElizabeth

DianaElizabeth HB User
    Nancy H
    I am so glad you tried the baking soda remedy! It DOES feel really nice afterwards, doesn't it? I love how soft my face feels right after doing it. I do apply a light oil-free moisturizer afterwards, and my skin stays smooth and clear. I am so glad you actually tried it and liked it! I just love it when a good, basic cheap home remedy performs better than the expensive chemical-filled goop they sell us at stores does.
    Happy exfolliating!
    Diana

Old 05-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #7
    Lucky7s

Lucky7s HB User
    Smile

Good idea, I think I will try it also.

Old 07-28-2002, 01:41 AM   #8
    shirl
    (female)

shirl HB User
    Thumbs up

Baking soda exfoliates dead skin on my face very well. It controls those stubborn blackheads on my nose. Thanks for the tip !

Old 07-29-2002, 12:58 AM   #9
    bluetonic

Diana-

Ive been using baking soda for a very long time.. but i only use it every 3 days or so. Which facial cleanser are u using?

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2002, 03:58 AM   #10
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
    Diana, I'm going to give this a try, I love home remidies too. My name is spelled just like yours. Diana

Closed Thread