It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• To the ladies here with clear skin, please respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User
    To the ladies here with clear skin, please respond

To any girl who has healthy skin here (if you get a pimple or two around your period and that's it, that is still clear skin!!), I am wondering if you could share with me your skincare routine. What products do you use (if any) - facewash, moisturizer, etc., how do you wash your face, do you wear makeup?

My acne-prone skin is genetic and hormonal, so I know that can't exactly be helped. BUT, I do think my skin could look better if I treated it properly. I don't get why this always has to be such an ordeal. It's been looking extra bad this past year and I really think that all these products designed for acne-prone skin are doing me more harm than good. What good can come from drying out your skin so badly?? I bet the pH and texture of my skin are messed because of all the unnatural "acne fighters" they make us think we have to smear on our faces twice a day. I noticed my clear-skin friends sometimes don't even wash their faces, or if they do, they use regular soap, or just water! Am I missing something?! I'm beginning to feel that I'm being duped into thinking I should be using products meant to fight pimples.

I want to find a simple, effective skin care routine... I'm thinking Dove soap and a great moisturizer, but I want opinions. I'm so sick of using all these products with Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid....blah. My skin is so dry, on top of being bumpy and broken out. What do people with NORMAL skin use?? Please share, I need some insight on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
    AnitaPita
    (female)

AnitaPita HB User
    Re: To the ladies here with clear skin, please respond

I never broke out until I was 24 years old. I would party like crazy and pass out with makeup still on and never get a pimple. I am now going on 30 and I just got my skin to really clear up in the last year or so. I feel mine is also genetics along with my hormones. Ultimately I think I needed to exfoiliate to get rid of the problem but its hard to find stuff to do that on a regular basis that is not harsh. I have been to the dermatologist and tried antibiotics, Retin A, Differin, Clindmycin...etc etc. Then I did Proactiv for a year with really cleared my up but my skin became tolerant of the Benzol Peroxide...I tried Clinique Acne system and that made my skin worse.....
    Anyways after trying all kinds of other stuff....I tried the Oil of Olay daily facials (clarifying) and my skin is now clear! It took a few months for my skin to completely adjust to it but I did see results right away. Now my routine is so simple...use the cleansing towelette and then swipe Dove toner over my face and I am 99% clear!!!! Except for the occasional one around that time of the month. Now I am trying to deal with the scars from my previous acne. I have had 2 microdermabrasion treatments and they helped alot. I am going to try a glycolic peel next.
    I have also noticed that having a clean diet for me keeps my skin clear along with drinking alot of water. I dont think these last 2 things are a solution for acne but in my case I break out even worse if I am eating alot of junk. I hope this helps...I think everyones solution is different but if you are looking for something simple the cloths might be an option. I even cut them in half because they are big and that does the job fine.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
    mandersBC
    (female)

mandersBC HB User

Hello - I do get a little outbreak around my period, but I can recommend a simple routine for you. Try Purpose face wash made by Johnson & Johnson. It is a clear bottle with a blue label. It is soap free and contains no acne fighting ingredients, it is just a basic cleanser. It will get your face clean and not dry it out. For a moisturizer, try Oil of Olay's Active Hydrating Beauty fluid w/ spf 15. It is oil free, plus w/ sunscreen. I would also suggest you exfoliate gently on occasion, in addition to your daily cleansing.

I've also heard good things about Cetaphil, but never tried it.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2004, 02:22 AM   #4
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi there

I guess that would be me, but I don't really have a good skin care line or anything. I do use dove to wash my face real good. It doesn't take the makeup completely off, so I use "Oxy for sensitve skin" to open up the pores on my face. I have a slightly oily nose.....and this is gross.......but I've always picked at it to take all that yucky stuff out before it formed anything. I then finish it off with a good moisturizer. I use Oil Of Olay. I've been using it since I was 16 and I'm now 34. I also fall asleep with my makeup on most of the time and never had any trouble. I'm not sure if it is what I'm doing or if it is just genes. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I know that most teen girls outgrow this.

Chantel

Old 10-07-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

I have dry skin- always have- so I don't do anything at night, only in the AM. But I rarely get any pimples at all and follow a simple routing using MaryKay Timewise Cleanser in the shower and follow it with the Timewise moisturizer, I also use Revlon Age Defying makeup which contains a sunscreen. Thats it. Been using the MK system since I was about 22- never had any problems. They have a good cleansing / moisturizing line for oily / acne prone skin too- and fairly cheap, about $10 for the cleanser and $8 for the moisturizer. Sometimes even cheaper if bought on E-Bay.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #6
    producttramp
    Veteran

producttramp HB User

I use Nivea cleansing gel. Perfect for combo skin, gets off the day (including eyemakeup) w/o drying.
    3x a week I am still using Epidermx microdermabrasion. Has cleared up my sper stubborn blackheads on my nose and smoothed out my skin for a more even texture.
    I use Silkia Camilla oil on nights I do the Epidermx and Nivea Multiple Results on nights I dont. FOr day I use either Nivea Coq10 with spf or VitaSkin by Banana Boat spf 50 depending on day's activities.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I use a combo of products. I use the following Paula's Choice (PC) products: AHA (glycolic acid), BHA (salicylic acid), BP (Benzoyl Peroxide), Toner, Cleanser, SPF. I also use a CP (copper peptide) serum and DMAE products - these are more for anti-aging than acne, but they don't aggravate my skin or cause acne either. I use a glycolic acid 30% at home peel as well and this helps with both the acne and anti-aging. And I use jojoba oil to moisturize.

Morning-

Wash with PC toner
    apply BHA
    apply either CP or DMAE
    apply SPF
    And I use Aromaleigh mineral makeup for my foundation - this has helped alot I think.

Evening-

Wash with PC cleanser
    apply either AHA or BP (I alternate them each nite)
    apply either CP or DMAE (whichever I did NOT use in the morning)
    apply jojoba oil

Then I do the peel once a week or so.

This routine has cleared me up nicely and has also helped with aging issues.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

My daughter has acne and the only product that has helped her is Proactive.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the responses so far. For those who asked, I'm 22. I've had acne since I was 11, but it's got a lot worse in the last two years. When I think back to when I was 16 and thought my skin was "soooo bad", man I'd kill to have it back now!! For some reason my skin is getting a lot worse now into adulthood.

As for my history with medications, I've used Proactiv for the last 5 years on/off and I did have great success with it for about a year and half...then it stopped working. I've used Minocycline (oral antibiotics) twice, glycolic acid, chemical peels (glycolic and salicylic), microdermabrasion twice, and I've had four sessions of photo-facials. All of the fancy sounding procedures, I swear made my skin worse. I break out now in places on my cheeks I have never had a pimple in my life before!

Anyways, that's my story...thanks for all the replies and product suggestions!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
    desertgirl
    (female)

desertgirl HB User

It's weird for me to reply as a "lady with clear skin" because I had acne for sooo long. I was about 12 when I got it and I'm now 23. I also remember thinking one or two zits was terrible when I was in high school. In college, I noticed that my skin got worse too. I think it's all the changes and stress. Are you in school? Anyway, the only thing to clear my face has been accutane. I don't get pimples anymore; I don't have any blackheads either. <knocking on wood> It took about two weeks for my face to completely clear on accutane and I've been taking the pills for three months. I don't know if you've looked into this, but maybe it'd be an option for you. The side effects sound bad, but they're very rare and as long as you get your blood work done, I think most people are fine. It's the only thing that worked for me; I tried everything.

As far as cleansers go, Noxema Triple Clean is awesome. It kills all the bacteria on your face without drying it out. On big zits, I used to use perxoide on them and they went away really fast. Otherwise, witch hazel is a good (and inexpensive) toner if you feel you need one. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Just remember that even if you skin is oily by nature, it still needs moisture. I have started using something I found on the internet: Victoria Principal's Reclaim series. It consists of a cleanser, exfoliator, weekly mask, eye cream and eye serum along with day and night face cream. For the ocassional ever so popular zit, I just use one of the zit creams out on the market.
    And the sad thing is this: When we are younger we worry about acne. When we get older and think the acne should clear up, we get adult acne and WRINKLES!!!!! AAAHHHHGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
    bm28
    (female)

bm28 HB User

I'm 28 and I've never really gotten acne (knock on wood) and I use St. Ives facial wash with tea tree oil. It does a great job.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #13
    just_imagine

just_imagine HB User

Thanks again everyone!!

Hey Desertgirl, thanks for sharing your experience with Accutane, I really do want to try it. I'm going to make an appointment with my derm and hopefully I will be able to get it. I used to be so afraid to ask for it because of all the horror stories you hear about it. But in acutality, I know a lot of people who have taken Accutane and not only do they say it's not that bad, their skin is absolutely PERFECT now! I can't even imagine them with acne, it's so crazy. At this point, I'm pretty much willing to try anything. So wish me luck!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #14
    4everluvly

4everluvly HB User

Hi

Both my husband and I have tried the Topix Benzoyl Peroxide face wash and it works great. His skin started clearing up after using it. It is also very inexpensive..about $9. I bought them at my Dermatologist office but you can buy online.

4everluvly

Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #15
    kerri67

kerri67 HB User

I've also used accutane--once in my teens and once in my mid-twenties. I too began a new break out pattern in my twenties (lower on my face). I had great results with the accutane both times. I had VERY stubborn acne. It wasn't horribly cystic, just very stubborn. I absolutely loved the results with accutane, despite any side effects.

After my second round of accutane I began slowly using retin-a for years which I also love. The secret is to begin using it very slowly and with moisturizer to avoid irritation. Cetaphil is a great cleanser. My derm recommended it in high school and I've used it since.

You're right about the moisturizing--dry your skin out too much and it may get worse. Accutane is the exception to this, but you'll want to moisturize like crazy while you're on it anyway. Begin using a non-comedogenic moisturizer and your skin will likely begin producing LESS oil. Glycolic acid and regular exfoliation have also always helped me.

Last-birth control pills have also helped my sking enormously!! I've heard some women break out due to their use, but this is somewhat dependent on the brand (estrogen, progestin levels) used.

I do think you'll be pleased with accutane results if yours is as stubborn as mine was!

Closed Thread