It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Indoor tanning ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
    AngelLeigh

AngelLeigh HB User
    Question Indoor tanning ?

Does anyone have a recommended duration and frequency for indoor tanning, especially for someone who hasn't done it in over a year? I used to try it and I guess I was doing it wrong then because I barely saw results even though I'd gradually increase the amount of time in the bed and I'd go 1-2 times per week for about 3-4 months. Maybe I just chose a bad tanning salon though. How would you choose a good one? Anyway, any tanning recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not trying to be super dark year round, but I'd like a little color since I tend to get pretty pale during the colder months.

Thanks for your help!
    Erin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User
    Re: Indoor tanning ?

I'd recommend saving your skin and using a sunless tanner instead.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
    rubydoo63
    (female)

rubydoo63 HB User

Hi Erin:

Definitely take it slow. If you are looking for a quick tan, then go for the sunless lotion.

When I use indoor tanning salons, I start at 6 minutes for about 3 sessions, then up it to 9 minutes, with a maxium of 15 when I have a tan.

I usually tan March-April-May. Just enough to get a starter tan.

Ruby.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I manage a tanning salon and the beds do make a big difference, the beds that allow you to tan for 20-30 minutes are low intensity so they don't tan as deep or longer lasting as the higher intensity beds, so you need to tan more often to maintain your tan. The 10-12 minute beds are high intensity and tan you darker, faster and longer lasting. Jojo is right that you want to protect your skin, so ask your sales associate to recommend a high quality tanning lotion. Dry skin can repel up to 50% of the rays which means you could be getting only half the results. These lotions are specially formulated to prepare your skin for tanning, put moisture in your skin that you would otherwise lose during the tanning process, and help maintain your tan for longer, these lotions help slow down the aging process as any uv exposure...even the exposure you get from walking outdoors, is damaging if proper care isn't taken. Also if the bulbs are not changed on a regular basis and if the beds are not maintained by cleaning the fans and bulbs it affects the bulbs negatively and you don't get as good results as you should. I use a high quality lotion and tan in the high intensity beds and once I reached as dark as I wanted to be for my base tan, I only need to tan once every week to maintain it. Over the summer when I had less time I tanned once a month and used a sunless tanning spray to maintain my color. The lower quality lotions may require you to tan a little more. Also, I'm quoting this,"controlled exposure to UV may minimize some health risks that simply can't be controlled when sunbathing outdoors. There are many documented medical studies that support the idea that moderate eposure to UV light can be therapeutic for the body, it's organs, and the mind. We further know that UV is our primary source of Vitamin D." sunless tanning products don't give you any vitamin D. I would say as long as you use a good quality lotion and tan at a reputable salon on a moderate basis you are perfectly fine. Tanning indoors is more controlled than tanning outdoors, as you have a time limit, and there are not as many risks as in tanning outdoors. Our beds (at this salon) only emit UVA and UVB which your body needs to tan, UVC which is in outdoor sunlight, is the cancer causing ray and the most damaging. I would go to a few salons, most should allow you a trial tan to see what you think of it, and ask questions, the more knowlegable they are the better. Our salons are all Smart Tanned Certified, and we also complete an online training program educating us on anything and everything to do with tanning. I recently went out of town and tried out a no name tanning salon, when they let YOU choose how long to tan for that is a big red flag, they didn't have me fill out any paperwork and allowed me to tan for the maximun amount no questions asked, not very educated. Here we have all new clients fill out a skin analysis that helps us determine their skin type based on their skins characteristics and tanning history, we then base how long to tan them for based on their results...I don't know how many times I've had customers appreciate how we actually care about them and don't allow them to abuse thier skin, I always say, it's better to start off at a low time tan and gradually increase your skins resistance than it is to start off at the maximum tan time and damage it. Your skin can take up to 24 hours to show the full effects of the UV exposure, so we only allow you to tan once every 24 hours, you never want to have redness after 24 hours still, if you do, you have overexposed and need to wait until that redness dissapears before tanning again and even then ,decrease your tan time appropriately to prevent recurrance. Sorry I didn't mean to write a book about it, I guess being very knowlegable kept making things pop into my head that I wanted you to know. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
    Blitzjade
    (male)

Blitzjade HB User

Kierrasmommy, I'm sorry but you REALLY need to check on your facts.

You stated that your beds only emit UVA and UVB rays. UVB rays are the rays associated with sunburn and UVA rays are the rays associated with skin cancer and premature aging (According to pretty much all respectable Dermatologists). UVC is not even in outdoor light as it is filtered by the ozone layer.

Although it was nice of you to respond so thoroughly, it is completely unprofessional to disregard widely accepted scientific facts.

Also, people can get Vitamin D in fortified milk, orange juice and through dietary supplements. If not through those, only moderate exposure to sunlight is needed to create the amount of Vitamin D we need.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:41 AM   #6
    kierrasmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Thanks for your point, I checked it out and was in fact wrong about the UVC, it is emitted from the sun but the ozone layer does block it. I had been inaccurately told otherwise. However I do not believe I was disregarding widely scientific facts. I was using alot of information from my Smart Tan book as well as many other sourses that have been given to us in our industry. More info can be found by looking up the International Smart Tan Network or finding them online. A great book to also read is called "The UV Advantage" by Dr. Micheal Hollick who is a professor of medicine, physiology, and biophysics at the Boston University School of Medicine. Quoted from a web explanation of his book: Adequate amounts of vitamin D cannot be achieved by at the current low levels set years ago by the Institute of Medicine 200 IU a day. Consumers should routinely be taking five times that amount, 1000 International Units (IU), a day of vitamin D. It is misleading to suggest that nutritional supplementation is the answer. It is not practical to get our daily 1,000 IU of vitamin D from popping a pill. More importantly, supplements do not provide the same benefits as sunshine, and if taken in too large a dose can cause vitamin D toxicity. Also, it is improper for unenlightened dermatologists, many who know little about human nutrition, to suggest consumers can get all the vitamin D from the diet. It would require drinking 10 glasses of milk or fortified orange juice every day or eat fatty fish in the amounts that would satisfy the body's nutritional requirements.

I did do a bit more research and am quoting what is in my International Smart Tan text book:
    UVA can penetrate the skin to the deeper layers without causing immediate significant damage to the top layers of the skin. It is possible to burn with excessive overexposure to UVA, however, the exposure intensity would have to be very powerful and the duration much longer than normal.
    UVB is often called the "burning ray". Although it is very possible to burn with excessive exposure to ultraviolet light, UVB can better be termed as the "melanin producing ray" or perhaps the "activation ray" because this reflects the effect of controlled rather than uncontrolled exposure.Some UVB is needed to both start the tanning process and keep it going.
    UVC is sometimes referred to as the "germicidal ray" because it is sometimes used to kill germs. It does not come out of the tanning equipment. (although some lamps used in some tanning units do produce UVC light, the lamps are equipped with filters that prevent the UVC from ever reaching the tanner)
    About 5% of the light energy we recieve from the sun is ultraviolet light. Of that small percentage, approx. 95% is UVA and 5% is UVB, although atmospheric and geographic variables change that ratio each time you step outside.
    Today's tanning units utilize a carefully controlled mix of both rays to prevent indoor tanners from burning as easily and quickly as they could by tanning outdoors, and also to create cosmetic tans that minimize the risk of skin damage. Dermatoolgists regularly suggest tanning to cure or minimize many health issues.
    Photoaging is a process in which natural skin aging is accelerated significantly by repeated overexposure to ultraviolet light...(which is why I mentioned a couple of times in my original post that I recommend moderate use. As well as using a high quality indoor tanning certified lotion which will also help prevent the photoaging process.And I also explained how our salon follows several procedures to ensure clients tan properly according to their skin type and do not overexpose)
    Repeated overexposure to ultraviolet light has been linked to the development of certain types of skin cancer in humans. That's why ultraviolet light emmission is carefully monitored in tanning equipment to minimize the risk of overexposure and sunburn. However, research indicates that ultraviolet light is but one of the factors that combine to increase a persons risks for skin cancer. Other factors include heredity, skin type, and nutrition. However, no research at this time clearly explains a link between sun exposure and melanoma, although some anti-sun pundits have promoted that theory. You should be aware that melanoma generally shows up on parts of the body that usually aren't exposed to ultraviolet light,and studies have shown that people whose occupation exposed them to large amounts of UV light are at lower risk for developing melanoma than people whose jobs didn't.
    The above was all quoted from our training manuals, I apologize for the earlier mixup and I still stand by my original advice that moderate tanning- is the smartest way to maximize the potential benefits of sun exposure while minimizing the potential risks associated with either too much or too little sunlight.
    I strongly urge anyone to check up the International Smart Tan Network, and /or read the UV Advantage for further backing of my post.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
    bird73

bird73 HB User

wow!!!! i can see that this is a topic that gets under some peoples skin. I have a friend that manages a salon and let me tell you....she knows her stuff. I am VERY sensitive to the sun and when i go to her salon she NEVER lets me go more than what is SAFE. I think that if someone wants to use an indoor tanning bed....that is their perogative. The facts are going both ways when it comes to cancer. Yes with ALOT of exposer you leave yourself at high risk, but you can get cancer just being in your backyeard too. I have a friend that she has NEVER used a tanning bed and is now going to the hospital for lazer treatments and has cancer. I think that if people are going to use the indoor beds, listen to the people behind the counter....they are professional people that know what they are doing. Be safe and make sure you read up on all the info given to you. If you are looking for a FAST tan....than yes the sunless tanning it the way to go....just to be safe if you are scared. I dont agree with people passing judgment on others for what they do. If someone does not agree with what they do....keep it to yourselves. We are all on here to get opinions not to be lectured.

bird73

Closed Thread