It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Hair Disaster!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
    NDNhuni

NDNhuni HB User
    Hair Disaster!

Ok so this is my dilema. I got my hair highlighted a month ago but the lady did a terrible job and i ended up having thick orange streaks in my dark brown hair. The next week i went to another salon and got my hair done again and the guy highlighted my already orange streaks and then permanantly dyed my hair black. It looked great until i washed my hair, now everytime i wash my hair the highlights turn oranger and oranger each time even though he used permanent hair color. Is it ok to get my hair dyed again and why isnt permanent hair color working for my hair?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
    JanieOlegre

JanieOlegre HB User
    Re: Hair Disaster!

Sometimes you have to speak up for yourself! If you want your highlights lighter, let the stylist know. I've begun doing my own highlights with the Herbal Essences highlighting kit... use the one for the lightest shade of highlights... that way your highlights wont turn out orange. Honest, 9 times out of 10 you will find that you can do your own highlights better than a stylist.

It is okay to dye your hair again... but with all hair colours that aren't actually lightening your hair, the dye will fade. Is your hair is healthy? Healthy hair actually takes colouring worse than damaged, broken hair. Try using a hair colour maintaining shampoo if you plan on dying your hair darker again... a wonderful one is Aveda Colour Conserve shampoo. Give it a whirl.

Last edited by JanieOlegre; 10-27-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
    Peekaboo971

Peekaboo971 HB User

Wow! Sounds like you do have a bit of a hair dilemma going on. What shade were you trying to get the highlights in the first place? Since you had brown hair, were you going for a reddish tone, or did you want blonde? If you were going for blonde, it sounds like they didn't leave the color on long enough to bypass the reddish tone that brown hair turns before blonde.

I agree - make sure your hair is in good shape to begin with. I'd definitely be doing a hot oil treatment or deep conditioning treatment once or twice a week to make sure it can withstand coloring again. And yes, do the color safe shampoo! If you have hard water, it can turn blonde hair brassy. (Speaking from experience here!) Definitely find a color safe shampoo. Aquage is a salon line that's formulated for hard water, and they do have a color safe formula. But you can find several products at the store that are color safe as well. Infusium is awesome to help moisturize dry and damaged hair too.

This could be a real pain, but Artec makes a line of shampoos formulated for different hair colors. (Brown, red and blonde) You could buy the shampoo color for whatever color your trying to achieve, and just use that on the highlighted hair. It sounds like a pain, but it may help take the brassiness out of it and lighten it for you, and get it to your desired shade. Just a thought.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
    NDNhuni

NDNhuni HB User

Thanks for the replies guys.
    JanieOlegre,
    I was going to try the Herbal Essences Highlighting kit but then i thought it would be crazy for me to do it by myself since my hair is very thick and is down to my waist. But im glad its working for u, i would definately do it if i hair was shorter. My hair is healthy i would say, before this i had never put chemicals in it and it wasnt weak. Im going back to the hairdresser on the 12th and gonna get it temporarily colored.
    Peekaboo971,
    I was trying to get light brown highlights but i think she left it in too long. And now the black dye is fading :-( Where do u get the Artec hair products from?

Closed Thread