It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Foil Highlights/Hair Color Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
    LeeLee3
    Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User
    Question Foil Highlights/Hair Color Questions

I have a coupon for 10 foil highlights for $1 apiece with the price of a haircut. I've never gotten foil done before, only the cap highlights. How many pieces does it take to do your whole head, or should I only do the front? Also, I just colored my hair today with an at-home boxed hair color (Hydrience). Since I've heard highlights are damaging, how long should I wait after coloring before getting them done? Will they even work on colored hair?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
    Re: Foil Highlights/Hair Color Questions

I color my own hair too- it is red. I also have foil highlights. What I do is the same day I color my hair I make an appointment to my hair stylist and have her put in the highlights. I have them places all over( front and back). It looks funny it you only have them in front. Depending on the look you want, I think ones that are not chunky are best since they look the most natural. Also depends on the color your base coat is and the highlights you have done.
    After I color my hair I wash it out gently only once ( This is what my stylist told me to do) and I let it dry naturally. When I go to her later on, she applies them and washes my hair again when done. They can be drying, so I use lots of conditioner, in the shower and also put some Potion 7 ( or 9- can't remember now) leave in conditioner. So I keep it highly conditioned and avoid heat if possible.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

If you want natural looking highlights you'll be using a lot more than 10. More likely about 20+ to get a Jennifer Anniston look.

The fewer but big chunky ones look very hip and cute and the more but finer strands look more natural and sunkissed.

You should be fine getting the highlights after using hydriance - they're pretty mild hairdyes.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Chunky highlights are not so in anymore, ay least in the city where I live. I use to get chunky ones but now the look is more subtle. I live in Los Angeles/ Beverly Hills area and am exposed to a lot of current fashion- it seems like more women who highlight their hair here are not doing the chunky thing anymore- but I guess it depends on the base color , what look you are trying to achieve, and where you live.
    I agree with veggiegirl- you'll need more but at $1.00 a foil maybe you can afford the extra cost.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
    BJM04
    Veteran
    (female)

BJM04 HB User

Depends on how light u wanna go with your high lights of course the lighter the more damaging nad yes u can highlight colored hair....use professional products...

Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
    LeeLee3
    Inactive

LeeLee3 HB User

I don't want the chunky highlights - I want them to look as natural as possible.

Depends on how light u wanna go with your high lights of course the lighter the more damaging nad yes u can highlight colored hair....use professional products...

My hair is a dark reddish brown color naturally - I've colored it to a light-med. brown using a dark blonde dye. I'd like sandy blonde highlights. I have a picture... I'm a little afraid because the only time I got highlights professionally done, they turned out very light blonde. They lightened my overall color first and that was also lighter than I wanted. I wanted a light brown color with caramelly highlights. I looked like Dolly Parten! This is a different salon though. I trust them a little more - I'm going to be very specific about what I want this time. Thanks for the advice, all. I have another question. I have a product from John Frieda called Sun Streaks. It's a low-peroxide gel that lightens with the heat of the blowdryer. I bought it about a year ago and forgot about it. I tried applying it and sitting in the sun for awhile last summer, but it didn't do anything. My hair is lighter now though, so I wonder if that will make a difference - it says that it's only for med. brown - blonde hair. I wonder if it would be ok to try this, and if it doesn't work out, I'll go ahead with the highlights. Do you think this would be ok? I'm afraid of what all this is going to do to my poor hair!

Old 01-18-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

The really lights blond-platinum highlights you describes sound like they put bleach on- which is the results you got. Be very specific and ask them what colors they are using to get the highlights you want. Show them the picture and talk to the stylist about it first. Bleach will really dry out your hair and usually does not look vey good in my opinion. Good Luck- let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
    BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE
    Veteran

BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE HB User

i have medium brown colored hair.. and i used to get blonde highlights.. my advice is... just dont get them BLEACHED! they would get mine a golden blonde (not brassy or orange) with color, but one time they did them lighter and bleached it.. my hair was so dry! but you should be fine with REGULAR color and highlights. do you ever heat style your hair? just make sure you condition your hair and if you DO heat style to use some kind of protectant, and try not to do it every day! now the question of how many highlights you get.. i get TONS! i have no idea how many.. but with 10 of them maybe you can just very subtle ones on the top layer and it would probably look ok! i really like foil highlights better than the cap.. i used the cap once and didnt like the results as much. good luck!

Old 01-26-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
    Dragonmyarse
    (female)

Dragonmyarse HB User

Am on a tight budget so must cut & dye my own hair. I have a lot of gray & need to use a product that is strong enough to cover the gray. However, you can then end up with a rather flat, artificial-looking color since natural hair color has more depth. Adding highlights helps to create a more natural look depending on how you apply the highlighter. I have been using Revlon's "Colour Experte" with very good results. It is more expensive but you get everything you need in one kit (& being super-cheap I manage to squeeze out 2 applications -- not recommended for the faint of heart ... lol!) If you are careful to apply the highlighter to very thin strands of hair you can get fairly professional results. There is a decent applicator brush included in the kit but I wanted very subtle highlights so tried using a tiny brush designed for cleaning dental braces which worked quite well for me.

Closed Thread