HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Beauty & Cosmetics (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/beauty-cosmetics/)
-   -   wavy hair (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/beauty-cosmetics/253912-wavy-hair.html)

Girlie19 02-17-2005 04:33 AM

wavy hair

anyone know what the best haircut for long wavy hair is? one lenth, layers...? :confused:

perkinssl 02-17-2005 07:28 AM

Re: wavy hair

I have wavy hair and throughout my childhood until about 20 I had my hair long and all one length. I think that having it one length makes it easy to deal with and easier to style if you are not making it straight. About 2 years ago, I got all my hair cut off and it is just below my ears now..I have to straighten it every morning but after I straighten it, it's fine. So depending on how wavy your hair is, you could probably have any hair cut if you straighten it.

jazzyE 02-17-2005 07:47 AM

I have long wavy hair...the best cut for me has always been long layers. If I keep it one length, it requires way too much prep time. If I go too short, I look like a big puff ball. Long layers help keep it tame and it looks really nice.

Girlie19 02-17-2005 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=jazzyE]I have long wavy hair...the best cut for me has always been long layers. If I keep it one length, it requires way too much prep time. If I go too short, I look like a big puff ball. Long layers help keep it tame and it looks really nice.[/QUOTE]
do you wear it wavy? and what exactly are long layers? how long do they have to be? i always wear mine straight but i'd like to try to wear it wavy at least some of the time if i can figure it out lol.

perkinssl 02-18-2005 07:43 AM

If you have really wavy hair and it looks bad if you don't straighten it..try to put some gel or something in it to hold the wave or even try to make it curly with come curl gel and a defusser.(sp?) I think hair is so different for everyone that you have to try different cuts until one looks right for you.

Susannah 02-19-2005 09:23 PM

I agree with the long layers. Plus, I just found a product that really makes it look great easily, Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel. It's free after rebate this month at Walgreens, too, if you want to try it for free.

Girlie19 02-20-2005 08:02 AM

Kewl! Thanx for the tips.:)

misery 02-21-2005 07:17 AM

For those of you who have wavy hair I have A question.My 15yr daughter had lovely loose curls when she was a baby.Then it became strait,now it is starting to curl fairly tight around just her face.She hates it,we have tried all the strait gels on the market without much success,she also uses a strait iron.Any tips would be great.Also has anyone had hair curl like this and will the rest of her hair curl as well?It's kindof stange that it just curls right around the temple area.It's worse(curl wise) in the humidity!

Kay33 02-21-2005 07:46 AM

Misery,
How long is her hair?
My hair is fine w/alot of body and curl ...I usually can straighten it, unless it's humid outside..forget it! I've tried a million products that 'resist humidity' --none work...unless I use a ton and my hair looks flat and feels gunky. I just leave it clean and pull it back in a ponytail.
I'll never be able to wear short haircuts :( -- like other posters have said, the weight of longer hair helps to pull out some of the curl.

misery 02-21-2005 07:53 AM

Her hair is past her shoulders with long layers,she wears it a little shorter in the summer b/c shes very active in sports.SO it gets cut shorter but not so short that she can't put it in a ponytail.How about the curl part?Do you think it will curl everywhere at some piont?

Kay33 02-21-2005 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=misery]do you think it will curl everywhere at some piont?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if all of her hair will go curly. I'm guessing if it's curly in the temple area and around her face, it's because it's shorter in those areas, and more apt to curl...or it's cowlicks that can make your hair curl in a weird way.
My hair is past my shoulders, in long layers, too...except the very back is all one length. The back of my hair stays straight, unless it's humid, then it frizz up, some...
Maybe try letting the layers around her face grow a little longer, she might get her more control over the curl. I don't know what else to suggest if she's using straightening tools aready (flat iron, etc)...good luck!

Blue102 02-22-2005 05:26 AM

I have wavy hair, and I like doing the long-layers thing--get a Victoria's Secret catalog and get some ideas from there! Very sexy.

Girlie19 02-22-2005 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Blue102]I have wavy hair, and I like doing the long-layers thing--get a Victoria's Secret catalog and get some ideas from there! Very sexy.[/QUOTE]
I have their catalogs! :cool: But how do you style your hair? Any good products? Any tips? I'm so terrible with my hair. Thank you!

Blue102 02-23-2005 06:18 AM

Hm, well my hair is only wavy when I let it dry naturally, but I have to put something in it or else it frizzes. I use this stuff from Alberto VO5 called "Straight hair" (!) When I put it in my wet hair and let it dry, it waves, and it makes my hair really soft and silky, and not greasy. There's not many products I've tried that don't make my hair gunky and gooey.

rosie72 08-09-2007 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Blue102;1511624]Hm, well my hair is only wavy when I let it dry naturally, but I have to put something in it or else it frizzes. I use this stuff from Alberto VO5 called "Straight hair" (!) When I put it in my wet hair and let it dry, it waves, and it makes my hair really soft and silky, and not greasy. There's not many products I've tried that don't make my hair gunky and gooey.[/QUOTE]

My daughter has wavy hair, plus frizz. If the day outside is humid...I feel so embarrassed for her because her hair poofs up. I try straightening it with a straight iron, but it still frizzes if it's humid. Any suggestions?