It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Need Advise for Straightening Super Thick, Wavy Hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
    Cora82
    (female)

Cora82 HB User
    Need Advise for Straightening Super Thick, Wavy Hair

Hey everyone,

Thought I would see what you guys think. I'm in my early 20s and have (and always have had) super super thick, wavy hair. It's longish and ridiculous looking unless I straighten it.

I started straightening my hair about 4 1/2 years ago. You guys are gonna laugh when you hear what kind of iron I use, because it's the same one I bought back then and it's still working for me now. It's a $25 Helen of Troy "professional gold series". I got it at a Sally's beauty supply store and it's still going strong! Though I have my suspicions that it may be time to pitch it...

Here is my hair routine: I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner. Right now I'm using Pantene's intensive restoration conditioner. I wash my hair about twice a week and don't use any other products besides those two. If I decide to use good old Helen, I put "Frizz ease" by John Frieda in it to keep the frizz down. And that's pretty much it.

I've never had any side effects from any of this... and I've never colored my hair in my life so I don't have any color damage. But lately I've been noticing a LOT more breakage than ever before. I never worried about it in the past because my hair is so freaking thick... but now I have TONS of ugly fly-a-ways around my face, and when I put my hair up they look terrible. I'm assuming they're from all the straightening I've done over the years.

So from reading about my hair history (and THANKS so much if you actually did!) do you think I definitely need to invest in a new straightener? Or is my Helen just as good as this CHI thing that I see you guys writing about. (not sure if I got that right!) Helen still makes my hair look fine, but maybe a new iron would make it look even better. And should I be using different hair products? My hair is SOOOOOOOOO thick, and sort of coarse feeling when it's not straightened. I'm white, but I've been told that my hair has hints of other ethnicities in it. Just trying to give an idea of its texture.

Thanks so much for your opinions! Hopefully someone can identify with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
    lindyj01
    (female)

lindyj01 HB User
    Re: Need Advise for Straightening Super Thick, Wavy Hair

I too have very thick, long, course hair. My hair, however, is wavy in some places and ringlet curly in others. If I try and wear it straight I look like cousin it. I dye my hair about every three months, so my hair is color damaged. My stylist is my hair godsend. When I started going to her I was in terrible shape, now I can get my hair smooth and silky. I use Alterna hemp seed straighting balm and Alterna hemp seed spray wax (for the flyaways) after I straighten. I bought the straightener my stylist uses and love it, its a Solano Blue Sapphire 2 1/4 flat iron. I love it! I had a Helen of Troy ceramic flat iron but it didn't work on my hair. I hope this helps a little.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
    Cora82
    (female)

Cora82 HB User

Thanks lindy, I'll look into those products.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
    Stacia
    (female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

KMS products which can be purchased at ULTA have a line called "stick straight". Flat irons work good too.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
    Lauren831
    (female)

Lauren831 HB User

that the kind of hair my friend has, she does about the same routine you do then she uses a iron, yes the kind you use on your clothes lol, you wouldnt believe how hot her hair is afterwards its sleek and smooth and straight i have very fine wavy hair so i can just use any ole straightener but it never looks as awesome as hers lol

Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
    AlliethePallie
    (female)

AlliethePallie HB User

Have you thought about using products that are specifically for heat styling? I use Redken Super straight Balm and their Ultimate Blow Dry Lotion. Another idea to try to avioid breakage is blow dry your hair until it's nearly dry and then use good old Helen. This way you are not applying direct heat for extended periods of time on the same areas of hair. Point your blow dryer down so the cuticle lays flat and continuously move the dryer down the shaft. Use the iron to completely close the cuticle and have it all smooth and dreamy!

Your arms may get tired, but your hair will thank you because it gets to stay on your head rather than the bathroom floor behind you. I would recommend a ceramic plate falt iron. Mine is Ba-Balyss and I loooove it! Good luck and hopefully it works.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
    thumbelina123
    (female)

thumbelina123 HB User

Hey.. i disagree with lauren.. straightening your hair with a clothes iron is the worst possible idea that you could do. Please, do not straigthen your hair with a clothes iron!! it will ruin your hair even more.. yeah it will become straight for a day.. but its NOT worth it. It damages your hair soooo much!!

Old 03-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
    Fullfire
    Inactive
    (female)

Fullfire HB User

my 14 year old cousisn decided she would try that and she had very thick and healthy hair. After about a 2 months of doign it she had to get half her hair cut off, it was horrible. MAJOR NO NO!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
    Lauren831
    (female)

Lauren831 HB User

i didnt say she should do it did i? nope i was just saying what my friend does i was commenting not giving advice sorry if it came off that way :X

Last edited by Lauren831; 03-21-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
    Fullfire
    Inactive
    (female)

Fullfire HB User

I was not saying you were I was just speaking from the experience I saw, ans what I know.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
    zetajenn
    (female)

zetajenn HB User

I finally gave in and bought a CHI and it has been the best investment I ever made! I had a cheapo that did no good and then I tried the permanent straightener at a salon and woman burnt my hair. I would say the CHI is definitely the way to go! And, instead of paying full price, you should check ebay. That is where I bought mine and I saved about $80. Now if I could just figure out how to curl it after I straighten it! I mean with the CHI you get totally straight so now I can't figure out how to make my ends hold curl... Guess I'll have to get a CHI curling iron too!

Old 03-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
    Lauren831
    (female)

Lauren831 HB User

fullfire i was not refering to you im sorry i think i should have said who i was refering to, and just so i get this out i am not trying to be rude in anyway nor am i mad if i seem to come off as either of the two, but i dont like when people say they disagree with me when i am commenting on something not giving advice ,i know i should have said dont do what shes doing (although my aunt did it for 20yrs and her hair is still beautiful) but everyone varys and i still dont recomend it, maybe my aunt was just a lucky one, but if two ppl have had the same thing happen chances are greater your hair will get damaged, so thanks for pointing her in the right direction so that she wont do what i mentioned

Old 03-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #13
    Jennee
    (female)

Jennee HB User

My advice would be to get your hair straightened by a professional. I have had my hair straightened by the most wonderful woman 3x in the last 2 years using the Yuko system. It takes 5 hours and cost about $450. But I would pay more!!!I get complements everywhere I go. People honestly can't believe I get my hair chemically straightened. But beware....you have to find someone who is trained extensively in the process and has actual referrals. I have very thick curly out of control hair, but you would never know it. It is a godsend. Do you live in the Los Angeles area? I would be glad to give you her number.

If not, you could find an approved stylist in your area by going to yukosystem.com.

Another thing I love is the T3 blow dryer, I use the one from HAI. Dries hair fast...I know it takes forever to dry thick hair!!!But this does the trick.

Also to keep my hair soft I use Ojon hair treatment, it's really conditioning.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread