It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• A Tanning Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
    LadyoftheLake
    (female)

LadyoftheLake HB User
    A Tanning Question

Well of course this is the time I usually start going back to the tanning beds, I don't do it alot during the summer but I always try to keep a nice even bronze tan. Well my only problem is for the life of me I can't get tan under my eyes. I mean I look like a racoon. A girl I worked with told me she goes in without any eye protection, but she has bad eyesight and I guess doesn't care about the damage she does to them. I on the other hand have good eyes and would like to keep it that way. Anyway, I was considering getting a spray tan before I begin regular tanning, does this help with under my eyes? Also any suggestions on how to fix this when I'm tanning? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
    Lauren831
    (female)

Lauren831 HB User
    Re: A Tanning Question

was this person that you work with doing it with her eyes open? cause yeah that'll cause some damage looking into those lights lol but i have great eyes as well and when i use to tan (i will be starting back up soon after many years of not) i took those eye thingys in with me since it was required but i didnt wear them and i kept my eyes closed and no my lids didnt get burned like some ppl say thats happened to them too. I personally dont think you would have anything to worry about and the spray tan, i heard it works very nicely on your skin but doesnt last very long :/ but this is just my opinion the choice is all yours

Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
    otherworldly
    (female)

otherworldly HB User

I agree. I really dont' think it's gonna hurt your eyesight if you don't wear the goggles and just keep your eyes closed. Now if you stared at the lights the whole time, then you're in for some damage. You will be fine without the goggles. I've been tanning for years and have never worn goggles and my vision is still perfect.

Last edited by otherworldly; 03-09-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

You won't worry about a tan when you have so many wrinkles that they cover your body....I have a friend who has tanned in the sun and beds for years. bless her heart she looks 20 years older than I do and her skin is like so damaged and wrinkled.....think about it...

Last edited by flintrock; 03-10-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
    Sugar64
    (female)

Sugar64 HB User

OMG, DO NOT take the advice given here! I've been taning for years, have friends who work in the indoor tanning industry, and have been educated on smart tanning. DO NOT EVER tan without protective goggles on! It doesn't matter if you keep your eyes closed, cover your face with a towel, or if other people tell you their vision is perfect still after doing this. You WILL sustain damage to your eyes, even if the effects don't show up right away. Please check into this with your tanning salon to confirm what I'm saying, but DO NOT follow the advice given here.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
    kt41577
    (female)

kt41577 HB User

I agree WEAR the goggles- I was a manager at a local tanning bed for years, and you wear them for a reason!!! it does not matter if your eyes are open or closed, you will still get the damage. your eyelid is a very thin layer of skin. the most common eye problem is your night vision...halos, and light bothering you. it effects some people more then others, but wear the goggles!! as for the racoon eyes-try to find a liquid bronzer, or cream bronzer, and using a sponge just dab it on, I have used that and it looks fine. also they have new ******s out that just cover your eyelid, not under your eyes-try to find a smaller pair of goggles. (the ones I use are very small, and are made of rubber, you can't even see a line) so wear the goggles and protect your eyes!!

Old 03-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
    lag_saxet
    (female)

lag_saxet HB User

I tanned for years both in beds and outside...it was like an addiction to me. When out in the sun I would mix my own tanning lotions with NO sun block...instead I would go for the enhancers. I don't recommend tanning of any kind. But if you do go please wear your goggles. Maybe a darker makeup/cover can help. I recently had to have eye implants because my vision had gotten so bad...The eye doc told me my vision loss was from damage to my eyes. I always wore the goggles, but sometimes you open your eyes for just a sec to look at the radio dial or to turn the fan vents....Luckily I havent wrinkled from it...I suppose it was the tons and tons of expensive tanners and lotions I used. But I do have what I call tan freckles...my derm doc says I really have to watch them. If I only knew then what I know now.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
    NeverBeenInLove

NeverBeenInLove HB User

how much does it cost for an average tanning bed? and is it usually 5 sessions? i only have $60 to spare right now, will this be enough? thnxx.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flintrock
    You won't worry about a tan when you have so many wrinkles that they cover your body....I have a friend who has tanned in the sun and beds for years. bless her heart she looks 20 years older than I do and her skin is like so damaged and wrinkled.....think about it...
    Good point flintrock and this is so true! I'd much rather have beautiful, smooth, wrinkle free skin and be Cancer Free. IMO spray tans(with the right solution) look just as good...if not better. And, I won't look like our next door neighbor in twenty years who we call "the leather woman"! I'm only 25, but I already notice a lot of my friends (who are the same age as I am) starting to get wrinkles and LOTS of sun spots from using tanning beds for the last 10 years. I admit I used them as a teenager, but I haven't stepped foot in one for over 5 years. I won't even step outsite without sunblock on.

Think about it, girls!
    Hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 03-13-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
    hobogirl
    (female)

hobogirl HB User

I have the same problems around my eyes too. What I do is turn the goggles upside down and wear them. This seems to work for me. As far as some of the comments on tanning I have been using the tanning beds for years and do not have any wrinkles, because I take care of my skin. I think that alot of wrinkles come from genes. My mil never gets in the sun and she has oily skin too, which is suppose to keep you from getting alot of wrinkles, but she has the wrinkles.

Closed Thread