It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• What's good for the nails?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User
    What's good for the nails?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to get healthy, beautiful nails. For some reason, my nails on both hands and feet started to get these thin vertical grooves on them and they're also dry. I eat a pretty healthy diet, I would say and even stopped putting nail polish on my nails for a few months now, and still no improvement. I also have been taking Evening Primorose oil capsules or the Black currant oil since I heard that they contain GLA which is great for nails and hair, but I still see no results. I've been to a dermatologist and she says it's "normal" to get these "grooves" on the nails and it's not a result of any deficiency, and basically she sent me home with nothing. Basically she said nothing can be done about it. But I know it's not normal. I used to have nice, smooth nails and they started getting dry and getting these grooves on them only a couple of years ago, and it's getting worse with time (started with one groove on one nail, and now it's a lot of them on almost every nail!). Has anyone ever had this problem?? What could be the cause of it, or at least, how do I get my nice nails back???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
    Veronicaberry
    Inactive
    (female)

Veronicaberry HB User
    Re: What's good for the nails?

nail life clear at your local beauty supply.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
    sdejager
    (female)

sdejager HB User

What I really like is the OPI Nail Envy. It's a clear strengthener that you can put on a few times a week...kind of like a clear polish. It's the best thing I've come across! You can get it at [URL=http://www.spiralhaircase.com]Spiral Haircase[/URL] at a cheaper price than the salons.

Last edited by sdejager; 03-13-2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: forgot something....

Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
    deltoro
    Inactive
    (female)

deltoro HB User

I would have to agree any supply house will carry a good nail file that can make your nails look great with or with out polish, but I do very much like the OPI Nail Envy Topcoat, but don't get around to using a lot. Everyone gives me compliments on my nails, they always look freshly maincured. I use the Tropical Shine nail file it has four sides, one for nail edge, on for removing ridges, one for smoothing the surface and one for super shine, you do these in order, it sounds like a pain, but it all on one nail file and doesn't take much and not very expensive either.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
    SophiaM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SophiaM HB User

Thanks for your suggestion, ladies! I'll be sure to try them. Actually, I just bought something probably similar to the Nail Envy, it's by Sally Hansen and it's called "Miracle Growth," or something like that. Hopefully it's just as good. And yes, what my nails started getting on them are ridges, not grooves. Thank you again!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
    vboredatwork
    (female)

vboredatwork HB User

10mg Biotin and 100% RDA calcium made my nails grow much stronger and healthier. Start from the inside out!

Old 03-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
    jazzyE

jazzyE HB User

Gelatin is really good for your nails too. You can soak them in it or just start eating gelatin desserts like jello, but the plain kind is better, like the almond gelatin that's sometimes in asian desserts. Might sound weird, but it's true.

Closed Thread