It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• 6-12 Shampoo Wash-Out Hairdye- Does it damage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question 6-12 Shampoo Wash-Out Hairdye- Does it damage?

First of all, I want to say that I have a REALLY terrible hair history. It's been every color known to man, color on top of color, bleach on bleach, relaxer on relaxer. I had a friend in Hair School, and I was the guinea pig as a teenager. Growing up, my hair was wavy, fine, and dark blonde. After the first bleaching and Sun-In mess up, it grew in coarse, dry, frizzy, super-curly, poofy, completely unmanageable, light brown and fried. I was teased all throughout school for having the worst hair. When I was 17, I just cut off all of my hair to start over. I left about an inch and had a very short pixie haircut. Since then, it's been growing out, and I have only dyed it once since then, at the age of 18, with Level 2 Semi-Permanent haircolor, which also added to the damage quite a bit, to my surprise. Now, I'm almost 21, and my hair is just below my bra strap. I've never cut it since age 17, the pixie haircut, except for maybe an inch once or twice. Now, my hair is still curly, still has a tendency to frizz, but is back to being rather fine-medium textured, and a mixture of waves and curls, and is actually in moderate health. Now, I'm getting the urge to dye again. I saw NO AMMONIA NO PEROXIDE dye that washes out in 6-12 shampoos in the drugstore, and I just wanted to do it for a fast, very temporary fun change, but I'm not so sure if I'll damage or ruin my hair that's finally getting long and becoming healthy. Does anyone have any information on whether or not that completely temporary hair dye is damaging at all? Oh, also, I heard even henna can damage hair. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Thanks,
    Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Question Re: 6-12 Shampoo Wash-Out Hairdye- Does it damage?

Does anyone know?

Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
    Carina
    (female)

Carina HB User
    Smile Re: 6-12 Shampoo Wash-Out Hairdye- Does it damage?

I am not sure. I am going to be doing my sister's hair soon so we can test highlight colors before she gets done. Ill let you know how it turns out. I dont believe it will really hurt or damage your hair, it may just casue your hair to be a slightly different color.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
    nailchick2000
    (female)

nailchick2000 HB User
    Re: 6-12 Shampoo Wash-Out Hairdye- Does it damage?

If there is no ammonia or peroxide, I'm betting that you are pretty safe experimenting with this one! Have Fun!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Have you tried any of the Clairol Natural Instincts hair color? I use them sometimes, the color lasts through 28 hair washes and it makes my hair very manageable. I've been doing that since they first came on the market, I change my hair color about three times a year. I've never used any hair product with ammonia or peroxide and it hasnt' damaged my hair yet and I'm 57.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

NancyH,

A long time ago I used Clairol Natural Instincts (back when I didn't care if I damaged my hair) and I hadn't even thought about using it now, but since it doesn't contain ammonia or peroxide, I think I'm going to give it a try. I just don't want to ruin the nice hair I didn't know I had! And it grows soooo S....L...O....W....
    Thanks,
    Katalina

Old 03-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
    luvtocamp
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Natural Instincts has no amnonia and low peroxide. I use it every 2 months to get rid of grey roots. It doesn't seem to damamge my hair- but everyones different. I would think itd be better than permanent dye.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Not to mention it's so easy to use and fun colors to try. In my youth I wouldn't be caught dead in some of the colors that NOW are acceptable to wear, so it is fun to play with hair color once in awhile even at my age. I'm a natural blonde, still no grey, even my mom has no grey at 76, a gene blessing I guess. But I do get bored with blonde and will go auburn or light brown from time to time.

Closed Thread