It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Highlights

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
    tryin2getfit
    (female)

tryin2getfit HB User
    Highlights

Does anyone have any tips to make highlight application easier? I read somewhere that if you put your hair in a bunch of braids, and then saturate the braids with hair color, rinse out, and then they will be highlighted. But if you put your hair in braids you would have to tie the bottoms with a band, so what would you do about the ends?? I've tried highlighting kits with the brushes, but they came out really bad. Any tips?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tryin2getfit; 04-07-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
    marcy_25

marcy_25 HB User
    Re: Highlights

dont think i can be any help. i always do my highlights at home with the head thing, where you polk the hair thru the holes like in the salon. its a bit of a pain, but the more you do it, the better it gets. i am a pro doing it now, and it works great.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
    veggigoddess
    Veteran
    (female)

veggigoddess HB User

I guess it depends on how many highlights you want? I do my own at home just free style so to speak. I like about 5 or so highlights on each side of my head and a few near my face so I just take whisps of the hair I want to highlight and saturate my fingers in the dye and work in through the whisps and lay them gentally back down and go onto the next. You can also use a a semi-thin makeup brush for this. Other then that you can do what marcy 25 does and through somethign like a tight shower cap and do it that way if you want more random highlights everywhere.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
    lil_miss_bad
    (female)

lil_miss_bad HB User

go to a professional.

I've tried it all and it ALWAYS came out horribly.

I went to my stylist last week and got a cut and highlight/colour and I'm in LOVE with it and have had SO many amazing comments (I went from dark brown to dark blonde/strawberry blonde/light blonde and got my VERY fine hair chopped off in long layers around my chin and I'm on cloud nine about it!)

AND the added incentive for a professional visit is that most will fix it if you don't like it AND I find the professional hair dyes are not as harsh on your hair -- I had mine bleached and it actually feels healthier than befroe (my hair has been dyed at home many times).

Hope this helps!

Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
    tryin2getfit
    (female)

tryin2getfit HB User

Thanks for the replys. Does any one color their hair AND have highlights?? I color my hair at home (red) and would like to get some highlights, but I'm not sure how that would work when it comes time to touch up my roots. It seems like when I go to do my roots, I'd be covering up the highlights with hair color when I touch up the rest of my hair. Maybe I do just have to go to a professional.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:16 AM   #6
    miper
    Inactive
    (female)

miper HB User

I've always done mine at home too, but like you just said, I would start off just doing my roots, but by the time I got done, it was all over my head because of wshing it out. I have been going to a professional now for about 8 months and love it. I went from dark brown to medium auburn with blonde highlites (actually streaks) and it looks amazing. I have to have my roots done every 5-6 weeks and they put conditioner on the rest of your hair before they rinse so that it doesn't spread. I wouldn't go back to doing it myself....it's worth the money.

Closed Thread