It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• very resistant grey hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
    opal88
    (female)

opal88 HB User
    very resistant grey hair

Hi,

I am 27 years old and I have very resistant grey hair. It's mostly at the root but i dye my hair (revlon 10 min. high dementions box dye) almost every week and they grey is always still there. My hair is dark brown but I want to keep it that color. I've also tried the sticks and wands for in between, because the dye is so damaging, but they make my hair stiff (like a gel). I am wondering if there is a strong hair dye at the drug store. Maybe something specifically for grey hair? I've gone to the salon and paid upwards of 250 on a dye job with the same results, so I REFUSE to pay salon prices anymore.

Any suggestions? My b-day is soon and I think no grey would ease me into 28!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
    HeyKD
    (female)

HeyKD HB User
    Re: very resistant grey hair

I have resistant gray hair too. But because of that I would never do drugstore color because it just wouldn't work at all. There's a lady in my office who does that and two days later she's back to what she was before. And her hair is not resistant!

I can't imagine paying $250 for a color. I changed salons when the color they were using faded on my roots at 2 weeks. I was so irritated with her because she kept going darker and darker. My natural color is just a little darker than chestnut, now it's almost black. I changed salons, they use something in the professional Revlon or Regis line called "Prisms" (I think). Now that color stays! It won't budge yet at the same time I get a lot of blue/red highlights throughout my hair and it looks really nice now. My only regret is that I won't be able to get to my natural hair color unless we completly stripped the color. I can find out what they use if you want me to.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
    young momma
    Veteran
    (female)

young momma HB User

My mom has very resistant gray. She also has dark hair. The only brand we have found that works on her is garnier. She can't just have the roots touched up. It seems like after a month, it starts fading on the rest. She has recently started coloring every 2 weeks. It never fades at all now. She had a tough time finding something that worked. Also, be careful what shampoos you are using. Sometimes the shampoo will strip the color off. I know suave is a huge no, no! lol Unless, your hair ends up too dark! Oh, and we usually leave it on for 45 min. It says 25. That just don't cut it. We have tried going less time. It's okay to leave it on long when you are going darker. It doesn't damage the hair as with going blonde.

Goodluck!

Last edited by young momma; 12-07-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
    opal88
    (female)

opal88 HB User

Thanks!!

My sister is great with hair so we might go to a beauty supply store and get the professional one. Let me know the name if you get a chance!!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User

I got sick of having to touch up my roots after 2 weeks, so I lightened my base color to be closer to the roots (a lighter brown). I now use a semi-permanent color and leave it on 40 min (the box says 20), when it fades there is less of a noticible line. Another thing that helps is color-enhancing conditioner in between colorings.

Closed Thread