It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Tanning (I'm a guy)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
    mikeryanrebecca
    (male)

mikeryanrebecca HB User
    Tanning (I'm a guy)

Hey everyone. I'm an 18 year old guy and I was just looking for advice on tanning in a salon. Tanning outside isnt really an option because its winter and stuff. I have a few questions. What should I say to the person working at the desk (I'm only looking to get some color, not brown like alot of girls do). Should I do it naked? And, do guys look better with a tan or not?

Any other tips you can think of would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
    froggy123

froggy123 HB User
    Re: Tanning (I'm a guy)

I went to a tanning salon for about a month once. Just so I could get a base tan before I went to mexico. Anyways, If you just want some color to your skin, that's just what you tell the person at the front desk. When I went, I did do it naked, but I went to Hollywood Tans where instead of laying down, you stand up to tan. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable tanning naked on a tanning bed.

I'm 18 too. I think your question about whether guys look better with or without a tan is varied. I have some guy friends who look great with a tan, and others who don't. I don't think anyone can really say that people either do or don't look good with a tan...in a general sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Hi Everyone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
    BeachLvr58
    (female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeryanrebecca
    Hey everyone. I'm an 18 year old guy and I was just looking for advice on tanning in a salon. Tanning outside isnt really an option because its winter and stuff. I have a few questions. What should I say to the person working at the desk (I'm only looking to get some color, not brown like alot of girls do). Should I do it naked? And, do guys look better with a tan or not?

Any other tips you can think of would be great.
    I think everyone looks good/healthier with a nice tan. As for going all natural most people do.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
    ariesgirly
    (female)

ariesgirly HB User

I'm not preaching but I got skin cancer from a tanning salon. I got hooked from age 21-28. Basically I used to go to relax for a half hour before the gym. Well, I never thought it could happen to me, but it did....and you should see the huge 7" scar I have now after the surgery. I'd take being pasty looking over this scar any day. Wish I never did it! Be careful, bro.

Old 12-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
    neflin
    Inactive
    (female)

neflin HB User

Listen to the above poster. Our son was the most beautiful with his blond curly hair and beautiful tan. THis went well for a good looking jock. Tanned outside like no body's business. Never thought to tell him no. At 22 he was found with his first melonoma on his back. That one they dug out with 7 stitches. Next one was on his other shoulder. This one was a bit harder to take out and I believe this was 10 stitches. Five years ago they found another on his stomach and this was quite a few stitches as they had to do internal stitches too. He is a health nut too which is good but so little body fat that they had a hard time keeping the stitches together. Five weeks ago they thought he had some rare skin disease from all of this and would die from it. Now after more consideration and sleepless nights they have said that they do not think he has it. They said that only 300 cases were known in the world.

He lives in constant fear about the next time. The first episode happened 21 years ago but let this be a lesson to you. Even a tanning saloon can be harmful. The sun is the most dangerous planet up there. Hope you think twice on this.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
    halfbreed
    (female)

halfbreed HB User

i'm not preaching either, but if you just look at farrah fawcett's leathery skin now and realize that could be you sporting it in 35 years hopefully you'll change your mind.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
    ariesgirly
    (female)

ariesgirly HB User

Oh my....I am so sorry to hear that! Hope everything works out OK for him. I live in constant fear also. I too am a health nut & can be vain sometimes, so I understand how he feels with all the scars & stitches.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi why dont you just try one of those instant bronzers? by the way dont they also sell soem kind of tanning pills?

Old 12-27-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yeah has anybody tried tanning pills? I wondered about those.. and would LOVE to try them if I hear any positive feedback! I tanned at a salon for a little while but am stopping to try to keep my skin looking good when I'm older!

If you don't want to be BROWN or really dark you just don't stay in the tanning beds as long, or go less often. It isn't good to make your skin super dark anyway.. it's just worse for you!

I know this guy that that worked at a store that said he actually wears sunscreen in the beds, and he was definitely still tan. That way you get some sun protection at least. I don't think you are supposed to and tanning salons don't recommend it b/c it "blocks" the color, but obviously it still works and is a little safer anyway.

As for self tanners.. Loreal Sublime Bronze gel is probably the best I have tried so far, and doesn't smell AS bad as some. Does anyone know any that don't smell at all? I saw there is a sunless tan deodorizer spray that I would like to try, but I forgot the brand! I also hate having to reapply my tan like every 2 days, and every time I shave it allll comes off! Any advice on this?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, I found a bunch of websites online that sell tanning pills but then i also came across an FDA website warning on them
    here is what it said:

U. S. Food and Drug Administration
    Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
    Office of Cosmetics and Colors Fact Sheet
    October 18, 2000

Tanning Pills
    In their quest for the perfect tan, some people may look for a "magic pill" that will help them achieve this with minimal exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. There are no such pills approved for this purpose. Nevertheless, pills bearing tanning claims continue to appear on the market. Consumers should be aware of risks associated with such products, as well as doubts about their efficacy.

The Claim: Tinting the Skin by Ingesting a Color Additive
    So-called tanning pills are promoted for tinting the skin by ingesting massive doses of color additives, usually canthaxanthin. When taken at these large doses - many times greater than the amount normally ingested in food - this substance is deposited in various parts of the body, including the skin, where it imparts a color. The color varies with each individual, ranging from orange to brownish. This coloration is not the result of an increase in the skin's supply of melanin, the substance produced naturally in the skin to help protect it against UV radiation.

'Tanning Pills' Are Not FDA-Approved

Although canthaxanthin is approved by FDA for use as a color additive in foods, where it is used in small amounts, its use in so-called tanning pills is not approved. Imported tanning pills containing canthaxanthin are subject to automatic detention as products containing unsafe color additives.

Adverse Effects Have Been Reported
    At least one company submitted an application for the approval of canthaxanthin-containing pills as a tanning agent, but withdrew the application when side effects, such as the deposition of crystals in the eye, were discovered. In the August 1993 issue of American Pharmacy, Darrell Hulisz, Pharm.D., and pharmacist Ginger Boles described this condition - called "canthaxanthin-induced retinopathy" - as "a common adverse effect associated with canthaxanthin use," adding: "The patient experiencing this form of retinopathy rarely is symptomatic, although decreased visual acuity has been reported."

According to the article, the condition is reversible, "although it may take 25 to 60 months for complete resolution, and deposits have been detected for up to seven years following discontinuation of canthaxanthin." Hulisz and Boles also referred to reports of "nausea, cramping, diarrhea, severe itching, and welts" associated with the use of canthaxanthin "tanning" pills.

The following article appeared in the February 1990 issue of FDA Consumer:

Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
    engineer1961
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Try the spray on tan ****** tan i think it's called it works for a few weeks . But make sure to exfoliate your dry spots first and put some moisturizer on too .....really if you just go once every few weeks you'll just have a nice light golden tan look going. But it's not cheap.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yikes.. maybe tanning pills aren't a good idea! Maybe the ****** tan is a good idea.. isn't it about $25? Has anyone tried any other similar spray on tans that cost a little less?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yes tanning pills dont seem to be a good tanning option at all. they are sprays, I bought one for my legs its for woman that dont want to wear pantyhose and it gives you a bronzy glow...they have tons of instant tanning products you can try just

Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
    mikeryanrebecca
    (male)

mikeryanrebecca HB User

I do understand that there are risks out there for people who tan alot, but I'm just talking about a little bit of color here, not "tanning like noones business". It couldnt be dangerous if i just got a minimal tan.

btw, can anyone give me an estimate of how much it costs per time?

Old 01-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
    EchoeB42
    (female)

EchoeB42 HB User

What About FakeBake? Has anyone ever tryed that?? I am their website now thinking about making an order

Closed Thread