It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• question for people who have highlights

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
    Momof2kids2005
    (female)

Momof2kids2005 HB User
    question for people who have highlights

ok i have breakage in my hair but it's in top layer only and the hairstylist said my hair is blending and it is getting better so i am waiting until all damage is all cut out before i get anything done to my hair.

My question is this when my hair is in good shape i want to get blonde highlights medium highlights i have dark blonde hair. will it cause my hair to break off when i get it done, i mean i know all chemicals cause damage but i don't want my hair in layers again after all this damage is cut out i want my hair all one length. So when i get highlights is there a certain shampoo i need to buy to help my hair or will my hair be ok and no breakage? Hope this isn't a stupid question but i won't get highlights if it is gonna cause breakage to my hair. i got breakage this time cause i straightened my hair at home with a straightener you buy in Wal-mart and cause of right after having a baby they said probably cause of hormones may have messed my hair up. anyway if anyone can answer my question thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
    amy2705
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

amy2705 HB User
    Re: question for people who have highlights

any sort of colouring (highlights and full colour) with bleach will increase the chance of breakage. If your hair has been prone to breakage before, I would really try to protect it this time when you get your highlights. You should use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. You don't need anything fancy or expensive, but try to get good products specifically made for colour treated hair.

I use a spray on leave-in conditioner to prevent the ends from breaking. I've noticed a real difference since doing this. I also use a deep conditioning mask once/week.

good luck!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
    young momma
    Veteran
    (female)

young momma HB User

I agree with amy. Also, get a good heat protectant. That way if you straighten or blow dry you hair, it will help out. I have had highlights for 16 years now. Summertime is the worst for me. I have a swimming pool. I am outside pretty much all summer long.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
    kkush7
    (female)

kkush7 HB User

I agree with Amy on this one. When you get your highlights, ask your stylist NOT to use bleach. Instead, she will use a high-lift color. In the meantime, do some deep conditioning treatments on you hair. Find a very thick and rich conditioner (doesn't have to be fancy), then apply it to damp hair and leave it on for at least 20 minutes. Do this twice a week, and your hair will start to become healthier!

Last edited by kkush7; 01-04-2006 at 05:43 PM.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hey there! I'm having the same exact problem. I have naturally brown hair and I am going blonde gradually.. it's a golden color now but I want it blonder next time. I got a little breakage, but not too bad, one time and it hasn't been as soft since then. My hairstylist only highlighted my roots this last time so the bottom would stay healthier. I'm hoping next time I can get them all the way down again . Don't buy Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde.. it made my hair worse.. and apparently it has happened to other people on here as well. I like Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine.. it's cheap and moisturizes my hair well.

Also, limit the heat styling. Do you blow dry your hair? If you do, try stopping or at least doing it less. It will make your hair soo much better. I flat iron mine, but what I try to do is wear it wavy sometimes, or after I flat iron it, wait 2 days before washing it. Definitely use heat protecting spray! And products like Biosilk Silk Therapy and Frizz Ease will make it softer as well!

Let me know if you guys figure out any other products that help really well!

Closed Thread