It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• HELP! Pit smells after tanning.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
    cark
    (female)

cark HB User
    HELP! Pit smells after tanning.

Ok, NO deoderant jokes.., I use deoderant/antipersperant. I go to an indoor tanning bed, tan and when I get out my underarms smell like burnt wood! I bathe, use antibacterial soap.. all fo that immediately after returning home... everything ...yet the odor persists. WHat is this, how can I get rid of it, and why is it happening now when it never has before to me?

Im on vitamins, herbs and the depo shot.,, can this effect it? ANd if so why only my pits?!

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
    Abbey32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Abbey32 HB User
    Re: HELP! Pit smells after tanning.

It's the smell of burning flesh. It's really hard to get rid of. No advice here.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Tanning beds make a weird smell usually.. I just carry around deodorant to use afterwards. You can always use the restroom there to wash them up, but that would be kind of tricky in a sink haha! It just happens. I have no idea why it makes that weird smell if being in the sun doesn't do it.. and even when I'm barely in the bed and don't get much color, it still happens! Oh well.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
    Yekcoh4
    (female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

It's commonly referred to in the tanning world as "ATO" (after tanning odor) and it extremely common among indoor tanners. Thankfully it does not affect me, really the only thing that can be done is a nice shower

Also I would immediately do a search of all of the medications and vitamins you are taking because MANY interact negatively with the sun and can cause you damage. Do a search for photosensitive medications online.

Last edited by Ange; 02-02-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
    cark
    (female)

cark HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
    Tanning beds make a weird smell usually.. I just carry around deodorant to use afterwards. You can always use the restroom there to wash them up, but that would be kind of tricky in a sink haha! It just happens. I have no idea why it makes that weird smell if being in the sun doesn't do it.. and even when I'm barely in the bed and don't get much color, it still happens! Oh well.

This is FYI... I found a reference to this on a medical site and its the reaction some people have due to normal bacteri and UV interraction.. Some poeple get it some dont.. but the factors that make is more probable are BC pills and Depo, deficiency in ZINC, hormonal imbalance, deoderant ingredients reacting to UV, and allergic reactions to some tanning lotions.

I never had this happen before and had been tanning on and off for a few yrs.. I just had a baby in Dec and figured tht may have something to do with it. ANyway, last night I used a new antibacterial soap, used a new deoderant ( a natural crystal deoderant) and NO smell. whatsoever. so I dunno if Im correct but it seems my deoderant was the culprit more than anything else... since it was ONLY my pits that smelled funky. Yeehaw...

Im also investing in the tanning lotion that has antimicrobials in it.

Oh and thanks for your SENSIBLE reply.. much better than "burning flesh" nonsense.. Im always suprised when people blab about things they dont hasve a clue about just to hear themselves rattle..

Old 02-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Haha yeah.. I mean if it were burning flesh how does that make sense if you didn't BURN or if it doesn't happen outside in the sun? I actually am on BC pills so that's probably my case! A shower is definitely the best idea.. I just get a weird smell on ALL of my skin. They say to wait an hour or so or showering right away can make you not tan as much.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
    Abbey32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Abbey32 HB User

I am not on the pill, take no meds, have no hormonal problems or anything else you mentioned, use no deo in the beds, AND no tanning lotions and I STILL get the smell....so your reply is nonsense..not mine. And a shower does NOT help...not even with antibacterial soaps.

Last edited by Abbey32; 02-02-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
    cark
    (female)

cark HB User

Proofs in the puddin honey.. switched deoderant and I dont stink anymore. Maybe you shoudl go correct the medical website as you appear to know so much. Your post obviously want helpful and perhaps YOU shoudl just try deoderant.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
    cark
    (female)

cark HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
    Haha yeah.. I mean if it were burning flesh how does that make sense if you didn't BURN or if it doesn't happen outside in the sun? I actually am on BC pills so that's probably my case! A shower is definitely the best idea.. I just get a weird smell on ALL of my skin. They say to wait an hour or so or showering right away can make you not tan as much.

ALl of your skin? I am assuming it dissapears after a shower? Mine didnt.. it kept stinking after a shower and antibacterial soap.. but since I tried the crystal deoderant there is no smell at all. Deoderant reaction obviously.

I DID ask my tanning salon owner and she said that a lot of the women mentioned this and she asked around on an industry board online and it was suggested that a tanner with this problem use chlorophyll.. like the concentrate liquigels you can get at a healthfood store....some suggested the antimicrobial tanning lotions also.. . She's convinced it is from BC pills or in SOME cases BAD HYGEINE. In your case if its all over I betcha chlorophyll woudl work great!

Burning in my case is not the problem as Im darker skinned black haired and not going for a tan but to clear up my skin.. so I go HALF of the tim eit takes the light skinned people to tan.. Im a white and native american mix... which is working.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
    Abbey32
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Abbey32 HB User

I'm not talking about body odor dear. I'm talking about the nasty smell it leaves all over your skin.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well in my case it definitely is NOT bad hygiene.. I am a very clean person thankfully! However, I'm sure it is either BC pills or the tanning lotions I use. I never tan without lotion, and I use regular lotion on my skin anyway, so it's probably just that. I don't mind the smell so much since it comes off when I shower, so obviously it's only the lotions. I'd rather use them then get my skin all dry and wrinkled though! I'm glad the change of deodorant worked though!! At least you figured it out

Closed Thread