It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• tanning salon, sunburn and skin damage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
    antoni

antoni HB User
    tanning salon, sunburn and skin damage

Hi,

I had been going to a tanning salon for a few months then went out into natural sunlight and got a severe lobster red burn on my face with swelling.

After the skin peeled, I ended up with bumps on my forehead skin and like brown blotches. Before, my skin was very clear like porcelain. Now the healed skin is harder and the pores are enlarged. I went to a dermatologist who said the bumps were acne, but they just won't go away no matter what and they look like red mole bumps rather than acne. Also my skin turns redder and it's much more sensitive. This happened several months ago.

Also, after the skin heeled I had much more prominent wrinkles in the bags under my eyes. The upshot, is permanent, irreversible damage occurred to my skin.

My question, has anyone had a similar problem like this and is there anything to restore the skin to look healthier. If anyone has really good skin out there, please be careful because even one severe burn like in my case may ruin your skin.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
    digmusic
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User
    Re: tanning salon, sunburn and skin damage

Unfortunately I'm only replying because I have the exact same problem as you and the exact same skin type from what it sounds like. I've always had really smooth healthy, lucky skin. I am 21 now and I used to lay out in the sun all the time, had several bad burns...well ever since i was 13 i have had what looks like freckles on my face but they're more like sun spots, the same wrinkles under my eyes and bags that you talked about. I tried bleach cream and that made me break out like whoa (nothing makes me break out usually) and i also tried this unnecessarily expensive laser thing at the derm. that is supposed to lighten the sun spots but it didn't work. after time they fade but only slightly and only if you wear sunscreen every day and never go to the beach basically...so i would also love to hear POSITIVE responses to this post cause I have the same problem as you! I wish I could turn back time

Old 03-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

You can't reverse all the damage, but there are treatments that can reverse a lot of it, and using sunscreen can help prevent future damage. A dermatologist needs to evaluate your skin. If the damage is minimal, some mild topical peels might be all you need. There's so many new treatments available these days that can help. There's TCA and glycolic acid peels, microdermbrasion, and injectable dermal fillers. A dermatologist can tell you what will help the most.

I know I'm always lecturing people on the dangers of sun tanning, but there are so many people who don't believe it will do them any harm just because they haven't burned, or they only tan a little, or worse yet, they use tanning beds in the false belief that they're safer. Most of the treatments for photo aged skin are so expensive. A few years of pretty, tanned skin is not worth the early onset of wrinkled, sun-damaged skin and the expense of trying to reverse it. The sun screen is especially important when using the glycolic acid since it can make your skin even more sensitive to the sun.

Despite the hype that the chemicals in sun screen cause cancer, there's no evidence of that, but there's plenty of evidence that over exposure to sun can.

I'm so sorry that you've already got damage. Don't lose hope. It's never too late to start taking care of your skin. If you can't see a dermatologist right away, start with some mild OTC lotions containing glycolic acid (8-10%), and use a product containing stabilized Vitamin C. Vitamin's C and E are are great free-radical scavengers and taking them in the form of supplements wouldn't hurt either. Use an SPF 30 sunscreen anytime you go outdoors. If you do these things, you can stop future skin damage and even reverse some of the current damage.

The sun screen is especially important when using the glycolic acid since it can make your skin even more sensitive to the sun. Despite the hype that the chemicals in sun screen cause cancer, there's no solid evidence of that, but there's plenty of evidence that over exposure to sun can.

Last edited by cookiepls; 03-02-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
    cookiepls
    Inactive
    (female)

cookiepls HB User

P.S.
    I don't want this original poster's question to deteriorate into a debate over sunscreen. So.........if anyone prefers not to use a sunscreen, then covering up with clothing, wearing a hat, and staying in the shade works just as well, and won't expose your skin to any chemicals.

Closed Thread