It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Best products for the over 40 skin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
    Best products for the over 40 skin?

I am 42 and medium skin tone. I have pretty good skin and do not use a lot of make up. Just a base maybe a blush and mascara. But I want a good skin regiment. I used Prescriptives for years and liked it fine, then Mary Kay and like it fine too but what is best for the aging skin? What products did you ladies have the best luck with?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User
    Re: Best products for the over 40 skin?

Hi thre, I am newly 40 and as concerned as you. So far so good mother nature has been kind to me. I only noticed how kind when we went to several graduation parties for friends of our graduates. THANK YOU GOD!!! Anyway. I have used DOVE for about 20 years now. Just regular soap. I recently tried the Mint Julep Mask and LOVE IT...it's something I might do a couple times a week though. If you have dry skin it might be too drying. I have been using Regenerist for about 3 years now. As for makeup I wear little as well. All the hype about the mineral makeup is true. Honest. Took me about 5 years to get enough courage to try it, now I wont wear anything else for a foundation. It's light and airy. You truely don't feel it on. I just use my fav blush color, and minimal mascara. I just think keeping it simple is the best way to go. Good luck, and I hope you find what fits best for you!!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Nitro I also feel lucky that God has blessed me with decent skin. But my mother and grandmother on dads side have/had awful skin. My mom was a heavy smoker so that was part of it, I never touched the stuff. I did however spend a lot of time in the sun as a kid and until my early 20's. I haved been caring for my skin since then. I used to use Dove all the time. I think I may go back to it. My dermatologist always said it was the best. Like you I wear little makeup. I never learned how to use it. I do like mascara on the upper lashes though since mine are long and it detracts from my crooked nose. (ha) I do want to try the mineral stuff. Do you use the stuff you see on TV?

Mary I never heard of that stuff but I will look it up. Thanks....

Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User
    Hey BACKINTHESADDLE

I do use the stuff you see on TV, but I didn't commit to the whole thing at once because I am a skeptic and a control freak. I searched on ebay for Mineral Makeup Samples. Found a good package with several colors to try. The beauty of this stuff is that you can mix the colors to make the color that best fits your skin tone. Heck by the time I was done, I got the perfect skin tone color and unlike the othr makeups, you truly don't feel it on.... HONEST. I got so tired of all the ones that said it feels like you aren't wearing anything at all.. YEAH RIGHT...but I gotta blot, powder, touch up.. I don't have the patience, or frankly that level of concern for makeup for that. WHAT A HASSLE.
    You will find LOTS of kinds of Mineral Makeup online, not just the stuff from TV so mix and match what is best for you. Using samples first is fantastic!! OH and I don't know if you have come across this...since you wear mascara(me too its a staple for me) I found the best clump free way to apply it... WHile you are drying your hair or whatever in the morning, warm the tube in a coffee cup of HOT water. Most of the tubes you have to weigh down because they float( I just use a rubber band wrapped around the cup handle and the tube) The mascara goes on smooth.. not clumpy. then I brush them out with a clean brush I saved from the last mascara I finished.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I Love the Avon products. I have been using the peel which is fantastic and the Anew. I also use one of their firming creams on my eyes neck and chest area.
    They have come a long way and have great products for aging skin.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
    Terrierlover
    Inactive

Terrierlover HB User

There are SO many nice skin care lines out there now. Paula's choice is a nice basic line without a lot of frills, but quality products. Serious Skin Care has a lot of nice products. I love Philosophy also. Good luck sampling!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I tried Serious skin care and didn't care for it at all. I haven't tried Paula's choice where do you get that?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
    Adream
    (female)

Adream HB User

I have one year left of my forties and so far so good!

I really like the Nivea CoQ10 face creams: night, day, eye cream, all of them!

Remember to drink water throughout the day, build up of toxins in the body will show up on the skin. When I forget about the water, I notice the difference the next day.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
    looky_loo143
    Inactive
    (female)

looky_loo143 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle
    I am 42 and medium skin tone. I have pretty good skin and do not use a lot of make up. Just a base maybe a blush and mascara. But I want a good skin regiment. I used Prescriptives for years and liked it fine, then Mary Kay and like it fine too but what is best for the aging skin? What products did you ladies have the best luck with?

Thanks
    My mom is over 40 as well and I have been helping her learn to take better care of her skin. I took her to a beauty consultant and these are a few of the things that stuck out in my mind as far as a regimen goes:

"cleansing, toning, moisturizing, treating and eye care." since you don't wear a lot of makeup, make sure you do apply a daytime moisturizer that contains SPF so that your face is protected from the sun's aging rays.

if you want to maintain the firmness and contours of your face, you can treat aging, sagging skin with a moisturizing treatment that contains gold, copper and magnesium. these ingredients are supposed to firm, lift and contour your face.

taking care of the skin around your eyes is really important, too. use eye creams or serums that have vitamin C in it--it helps rejuvenate the skin and prevent skin damage.

as for products that work really well, I'd recommend trying the Kinerase product line. it's supposed to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, so if that's what you're trying to prevent, I'd suggest looking into that.

well, i hope that helps. my mom seems to be doing good with her regimen, but i can't keep her from piling the makeup on! oh, well.

Closed Thread