It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Coloring gray hair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
    Shogirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Shogirl HB User
    Coloring gray hair

I have baby fine hair that is very, very gray. Let's skip gray and even say solid white on top. I have to color my hair every single week, because my hair is so flat against my head that the white starts showing that quickly.

I like to have my hair a golden blonde color; however, now I'm using medium ash blonde which looks brown in some light, and really pretty red in others. I miss having my blonde hair. When I use lighter colors now it doesn't cover the gray well at all. In fact, it looks like I didn't even color it.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Someone would think I'm putting strawberry blonde coloring on my hair with the way it looks now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User
    Re: Coloring gray hair

I find a lot of colors come out more red than they should. I don't use blondes though, more light browns so I can't tell you anything specific about colors.

A stylist once told me to leave the color on about 40 minutes to get good gray coverage no matter what the box says & that's worked for me. Maybe that would help your blonde color to show up more?

I would also think doing some highlights would help blend your regrowth more so you wouldn't have to color it so often.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
    eve40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eve40 HB User

I would go the highlight, lowlight route and have it professionally done, about once a month. When we become old enough to have gray hair we are certainly old enough to spend a little money on ourselves and get a very natural look. Besides we've worked hard enough to have earned it. So I say go for it.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

A couple of questions, what color is your natural hair? Do you do it yourself or want to go somewhere else?

If you want/need to do it at home, do it as professionally as possible. I recommend: go to a Sally's Beauty Supply if you have one, buy the Wella Color Charm colors, they have MANY shades to chose from, it's the best there you can buy. You can get one or 2 & custom mix your color. You need to buy the developer to mix with it.

THEN....buy a packet of Ardell "Gray Magic" Color Additive, this will cover that gray beautifully. I also recommend a packet of Ardell Red-Gold Corrector Plus, to cancel out brassiness when you are dying your hair a blonde or red tone.

This is THE best most pro way to go if you want true blond hair. Unless you are trying to lift your natural hair (the part that is NOT gray). I'm talking just COVERING your gray.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
    Shogirl
    Inactive
    (female)

Shogirl HB User
    Question Re: Coloring gray hair

My natural color before it went gray was a dark ash blonde color. For years I had it weaved but now it's pretty much all gray.

I'll try your suggestions and see if it works. Someone told me once someone is so gray they have to go with darker shades, I hope that's not true, I like it a honey blonde color.

Someone told me to use 10 volumn instead of 20 volumn also, what do you think or know about this?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogirl
    My natural color before it went gray was a dark ash blonde color. For years I had it weaved but now it's pretty much all gray.

I'll try your suggestions and see if it works. Someone told me once someone is so gray they have to go with darker shades, I hope that's not true, I like it a honey blonde color.

Someone told me to use 10 volume instead of 20 volume also, what do you think or know about this?
    No, you are in luck, if you are more gray. Use 20 volume, you'll get more penetration of the color. 10 volume is mostly for deposit only, as in a semi-permanent colors.

Spend a bit of time checking out the colors, there are a lot of them, get the shade you want. Usually pick one shade a tad lighter than you want; or.....mix the one you like on the box 1/2 and 1/2 with one shade lighter. I believe you use 2 parts developer to 1 part color. Be sure and check. Honey blonde seems to be a warm tone; stay away from the ash family. You don't want to end up "greyish".

One good thing about color, you can aways go a bit darker if you are too light, but it's harder to lighten up once you are too dark.

Trust me, I am a former hairdresser. Good luck.

Closed Thread