It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Covering Highlights?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
    katrina26
    (female)

katrina26 HB User
    Covering Highlights?

I will say in advance, thanks to everyone who can offer some tips/ideas/help!

Last week I went to a new salon based on a recommendation to just mostly get a trim and some sublte, small highlights. (or so I thought!)

She ended up cutting 4+ inches off my hair which I didnt want, and the highlights came out looking horrible. She used a cap to pull hair through and while it may work for some, it didnt work for me. She pulled through a lot of hair, and it was hard to tell if she was being even. I told her I wanted light sublte highlights, instead I got some blondish highlights, several shades too light for my hair. I have very dark brown hair. I specifically told her, subtle in color and subtle in design, and instead I got chunky, blondish, uneven highlights. One side of my head has WAY more highlights than the other side.

Point of all of this is, I dont want to go back to her. I dont trust her. Is there a good at home dye that I can buy to go over the highlights and just get at least somewhat closer to my natural color? Will the blonde bleed right through a dark hair color? Will using a non color care shampoo help the highlights fade out faster? I just really want my normal hair color back, not this spotty stuff!!!!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
    PeytonP
    (female)

PeytonP HB User
    Re: Covering Highlights?

My girlfriend got highlights once, and her hair came out WAY too bleached-blond looking.

She went to another salon and got what's called a "reversal". Basically, it's where they put brown highlights back into your hair to even it out. She loved it.

I'm wondering if that would work for you?

Old 11-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
    greenfairy84
    (female)

greenfairy84 HB User

This is one of those situations where u should call the manager of the salon and tell them you are not satisfied with the results and usually they'll have someone else fix your hair for free.I had this happen to me once where i got neon yellow highlights over dark brown hair and I was nice about it and said I was getting bad compliments about my hair and people were asking where i had it done at,Which was true,and they gladly fixed it free of charge.Maybe get what the other person said to do,just done by someone else at that salon.You might be scared to go back there but if u ask anyone,these things happen and hair can be fixed.I actually went back to person who did that to me and that's what she said when she was fixing it.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
    germanshepherd
    (female)

germanshepherd HB User

Hi! I just read your post and I am a lic nail tech with hairdressers lic. You can go to another salon and have "low lights" put in with the foil method. The only other way would be to fill in the blonde with a redish semi permanant color and then use a something close to your own color over that. let me know, Tammy

Old 11-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
    eve40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eve40 HB User

Go back to the salon and make them fix it for free. That will teach them to hire someone who either doesn't know what she's doing or hasn't had enough experience, then not watch her!!! Don't be afraid to insist that they fix it. You don't need to be mean, just insist.

Closed Thread