It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• help with curling/straightenin iron!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User
    help with curling/straightenin iron!?

Hey guys.. So yesterday I bought my first curling/straightening iron. It's by Conair.. Has ceramic plates and all that.. Basically, it's a flat iron, but is cylindrical on the outside, with 1.5" diameter, and has the little curling iron thing on it too.. so it's 2 in one.

Using the flattening iron, I was NOT able to make my hair more shiny. My hair is already straight, but I wanted to make it silkier and shinier, because I have a lot of little fly-aways.. Like, I have all these hairs growing out that aren't as long as most of my hair is, so they kind of pop out all over the place, making my hair look frizzy. The flat iron did NOTHING to smooth them down.

As far as the curling feater, it didn't seem to work either. And I DID use mousse, a rather generous amount, I thought... (Thermasilk brand.) But, no matter one, my hair would just not curl. I was kind of going for the Bree van de Kamp look (from Desperate Housewives) but not quite as stark/stiff/drastic. But even if I can't get my hair to be like that, i would at least like to have SOME sort of curling action toward the bottom.. and it just didn't seem to happen.

Anyone have any tips? Oh, and also, how the heck do you do the back of your head?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User
    Re: help with curling/straightenin iron!?

I also have straight hair and bought a Revlon ceramic straightener a long time ago. The cheaper brands basically just don't work when it comes to smoothing out your hair and making it shinier. I don't know why, but they don't. They only straighten hair slightly and make it less frizzy.

The only other iron I have tried that actually made my hair silky and shiny was at the mall. I don't know what it was called (it was pink), but one of the women who was promoting it or whatever insisted that she tried it on my hair. It worked wonderfully... so I asked for the price, and she said was around $125! Way too much. I didn't even consider buying it after that. My hair is staright enough as it is... spending that much money on an iron just to make my hair shinier would be such a waste.
    Oh, and she also curled a piece of my hair in about 5 seconds. It looked absolutely gorgeous. I don't know how it works but it did even though this iron she used was just a regular flat iron, not a 2-in-1 like the one you have.

Basically if you want your hair to be nice and shiny you can either try serums (which also help with flyaways) or a new, expensive iron.
    I've also heard that MaxiGlide is great when it comes to creating shine... but it's still pretty expensive and I think you have to order it.

I figure it would be nice to have really shiny, super straight hair, but I'd rather achieve that in a more safe way that won't fry my hair. Even after using heat protectants, you'll still get split ends.
    I figure it's just not worth runing my hair over.

I hope this helps. If you still want to achieve that look with a straightening iron and aren't overly worried about the damage, you're much better off returning the one you have and buying a more expensive one that will actually do the job.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Haha yeah flat irons can get VERY pricey. I heard about a $400 one that celebrities use.. so expensive! I broke down and bought the Chi for $120. It came with free Biosilk Silk Therapy and the place I bought it from had a 20 year warranty, so that part made me feel a lot better. I would feel horrible to spend over a hundred and then have it break in a year. My hair is natually wavy and a $20 iron just wasn't getting it as straight as I wanted... plus it wasn't ceramic and dried my hair out.

I have seen those ones they sell in the mall.. they often have half price sales on them so you can get them for around $60-65. They seem to work pretty well. They also curled a piece of mine so nicely.. but I can't figure out how either. I say they turned it at an angle, pulled it down, and when they let go, it just bounced up! I have been trying to do it at home unsuccessfully, but may ask my hairstylist when I go in on December 5th for highlights.

I would definitely get some shine spray to make your hair really shine! I just bought one by Garnier Fructis, but brands like Biolage make good ones too. Or you can use a serum, either way works fine. The sprays are lighter and the serums are a bit thicker and work for frizz too.

I haven't tried any Conair straighteners.. I have a Remington Wet 2 Straight that I hardly ever use.. and I had an old gold plate Revlon (not ceramic) one. My mom bought a Revlon ceramic iron for $20 or 25 but I noticed it didn't get as hot as my Chi even on the hottest setting and it took me forever to do my hair.. and it STILL wasn't as straight.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
    opple
    Inactive
    (female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

Chi was the only way to go for me. I tried others and this one is it. Other brands pulled my hair out when it got caught in the plates.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dapple
    Chi was the only way to go for me. I tried others and this one is it. Other brands pulled my hair out when it got caught in the plates.
    Eeek my old metal straightener would do that to me too!!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
    frankiesmom
    (female)

frankiesmom HB User

Wandering--

if your hair is already straight, don't bother with an iron. it's very drying, i don't care what the thing claims, take some kind of serum (i use john frieda extra strength) rub your hands together and smooth it over your hair after you finish brushing it. the serum will make it shiny. my hair is wavy but unruly so in order to curl it, i deep condition it and let it air dry for a while, THEN after i put some serum on the ends, i put it up in a bun, a ponytail with the tail of it twisted around the rubber band and secured with a bobby pin. I then spray my hair with water until it's damp and sleep like that. when i get up i take it down and curl the strays with a curling iron. you'd be amazed what you get.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
    KissyFace
    (female)

KissyFace HB User
    Arrow Re: help with curling/straightenin iron!?

I use the jilbere de paris turmaline (get it at sally's beauty supply) it shines your hair and it was only $60.But if you have more money, definitly CHI!
    Best Hair Serum: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Weightless Smoothing Serum – with apricot
    kernel and avocado oils, this serum nourishes hair and keeps it soft, yet weightless. A word about
    de-frizzing hair serum: Thick ethnic hair like that of most Indian women will soak this stuff up, so
    use sparingly, avoiding the scalp, otherwise you’ll look like you went a couple rounds with a bottle
    of coconut oil! Really, only the bottom half of your hair needs serum to control split ends and
    provide shine

does anyone know anything about hair extinsions?

Last edited by KissyFace; 11-28-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would love to try out some of those tricks where you sleep in a bun and wake up with great hair.. but my hair will NOT dry when I sleep that way! It only occasionally dries when it's down if it's a really early shower. It's a pain!

About the hair extensions.. I have never used them but I am thinking about getting them. They are reasonably priced at Sally's for real human hair (since I would want to style them). It looks nice and the hair was very soft.. my hair has been growing pretty fast so I'm not sure if I'll end up getting them or not. I was trying to go for Jessica Simpson type long curls when she had the longer hair.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
    csay
    (female)

csay HB User

Just want to remind those who use the straightening iron frequiently. A friend of mine who use it frequently experience massive hair loss.

Or maybe it just happened to my friend...

Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by csay
    Just want to remind those who use the straightening iron frequiently. A friend of mine who use it frequently experience massive hair loss.

Or maybe it just happened to my friend...
    Yikes! To prevent this, try not to flat iron EVERY day and make sure you keep the iron moving and don't keep it still for too long. Also use a heat protecting spray!

My roommate actually blow dries AND flat irons her hair every day and her hair looks great and is very healthy.. but she has never dyed her hair, gets regular trims, conditions it well, and uses protecting products!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
    Yikes! To prevent this, try not to flat iron EVERY day and make sure you keep the iron moving and don't keep it still for too long. Also use a heat protecting spray!

My roommate actually blow dries AND flat irons her hair every day and her hair looks great and is very healthy.. but she has never dyed her hair, gets regular trims, conditions it well, and uses protecting products!
    I wish I could do that. I also know this girl who does the exact same... washes, blowdries, and flat irons her hair on a daily basis. There is absolutely no damage and her hair is soooo long. I'm way jealous.
    Plus she dyes her hair as well. Weird how some people's hair is so perfect no matter what they do to it.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
    Katrina Marie
    (female)

Katrina Marie HB User

I have bought at least 12 different straighteners. I found the Revlon straightener. (white with gold plates) It works great. I also have those small annoying fly aways. So I can say I am in your shoes. I also wanted to have shinier hair. I used the VO5 Mist to use before the iron and it works so great. No mousse or gel. It makes your hair clumpy and dry looking. (like you haven't brushed it). After that I just spray with a misting hair spray. It works wonders on your hair. Have you tried that yet? Just a suggestion. Hope you find something that works.

Katrina

Old 12-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have also used the VO5 miracle mist and like it. I really like how it doesn't leave any residue!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
    honeygirl101_5
    (female)

honeygirl101_5 HB User

Well I'm one of those lucky people i wash, blow dry and straighten my hair almost daily and it is in perfect condition. Although it doesn't take me very long to straighten it mainly just the ends.

About two years ago my mum bought me a Muster Ceramic straightener which i find really really good i have no idea how much it was but obviously not super expensive. Wait maybe it was just saw a metal plated one for $150... my mums so kind. Well i don't use serum but i think i will go out and buy a good one! Any one got any good brands which won't cost a tonne.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #15
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

For serums, the Biosilk Silk Therapy is around $12 for the small bottle. It isn't cheap, but this lasts a long time and a lot of salons use it. If you want something cheaper, there is John Frieda Frizz Eaze and some people have said they like one made by Fructis. I haven't tried the Fructis, but I do like some of their other products. I also have one called So Silk Silk Drops that I got at the grocery store. It came in a set with shampoo and conditioner for a good price and the bottle is pretty big for a serum. Works just like Biosilk!

For a heat protecting spray, the V05 miracle mist is a great priced one.. and Matrix Sleek Look Iron Smoother is similar but a salon brand.

Closed Thread