It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• wrinkles??? at my age??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
    Nici11
    (female)

Nici11 HB User
    wrinkles??? at my age??

I'm 19, 20 in a month, and i think i have fine lines under my eyes. i started using a cream to hopefully help the situation, before i have actual wrinkles at 25! Should this be happening at my age? what is it caused by? does anyone know of anything that really works to help fine lines?

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User
    Re: wrinkles??? at my age??

If you're talking about those small lines right underneath your lashes, I don't think that's a big deal. Pretty much everyone I know has them and they're not noricable since they're very fine lines, not actualy wrinkles.
    I have one on each eye myself and I'm only 21. I don't see them as a problem since I've always had them (as far as I know), and they always look the same.

If you actually have more than a couple of lines and they're deeper or look like they actually may turn into wrinkles, than you should use an eye cream I guess. I don't use one so I can't recommend any good ones.

I used to have fine lines on other parts of my face that would come and go mainly when I wasn't drinking enough water, washing my face regularly, exfoliating, or getting enough sleep.
    All those things can help your skin look better. Also, stay out of the sun and use a moisturizer/makeup with SPF 15 at all times.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
    mikesgirl
    (female)

mikesgirl HB User

You do sound young for real wrinkles, but if you really do have lines, you can bet they are from the sun. Wear your sunscreen EVERY day!!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Another important tip: Take your makeup off every night before bed. A skin consultant recently told me that every time you sleep with your makeup on your skin ages 3 days. I'm pretty sure that this is true, and I'll tell you why: I'm 36 and I took my makeup off every night from the time I started wearing makeup (about 12) until my late teens, early twenties. After that, I started slacking off and I would take it off every other night, sometimes not until three days later (I know, that's bad). It was at that point when the wrinkles started coming. Prior to that, I had people telling me that I looked 16 when I was 22, no joke. You can bet I take it off every night now. Also, I agree the sun does age your skin. My 17-year old niece goes to the tanning bed all the time. I tried to tell her she's going to get wrinkles, but of course, she doesn't listen. I done the tanning thing, too, for quite a while (a few years). I was only doing it a couple months out of the year (every Spring), I still got wrinkles from it, though. I just do the sunless tanning now, much better. In a couple years, she'll realize that her auntie was right. Then she'll be wanting botox, mark my words.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
    cuddledumplin
    Veteran
    (female)

cuddledumplin HB User

First, I'd look at my lifestyle. If you smoke or tan, you need to stop. ALways use a sunscreen of at least spf 15 (preferably highter). You also need to make sure you're eating well. Not getting enough essential fatty acids and/ or not drinking enough water can cause fine lines. I'd also make sure that I get enough vitamins and sleep. Next, I'd start with a sensible, systemic skincare routine (cleanse, tone, moisturize). You may just have dry skin, and skincare can help with that, or it could be normal, combination, or oily skin that is prematurely aging, so you might want to read something about skin types to determine which kind you have. For dry skin, rich creams work well. (Some people with very dry skin even use Vaseline or Crisco). You also might want to look into antiaging skincare. Peptides, retinols, hyaluronic acid, and alpha and beta hydroxy acids have been shown to help improve the look of skin.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I'm around your age (20) and I have those fine lines too. Then I noticed that a LOT of people have them, even younger than me. I guess it just happens from smiling and stuff. I thnk the eye cream will be great to prevent actual wrinnkles, also as mentioned, not smoking or tanning too much. Use a sunscreen. Also make sure to get plenty of sleep and water. I know when I don't get enough of either, my eyes look much more tired.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Yes, it's possible to have wrinkles at your age. Two possible explanations:
    1.) Heredity
    2.) Sun damage
    Or a combination of both.
    You cannot do much about your genetic makeup but you definitely can prevent the damage caused by exposure to sun. Wear a sunscreen 365 days a year. No excuses.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
    Nici11
    (female)

Nici11 HB User

Thank you for all your replies!
    Well, the lines are not the ones right under my bottom eye lashes that look like major wrinkes, but they're right below it, in that sensitive skin area, that turns dark when you don't get enough sleep. There's about 5 lines per eye. They aren't very deep, and probably only noticeable by myself, in the mirror, but it is only recently that I have noticed them. It's very possible that it is from too much sun. I've never really done the tanning bed thing, but tend to bake in the summer. I have fair skin, so i try to get as tan as possible... I also don't smoke, and never have. I recently started using a moisturizer with spf 18 in it. i should probably start drinking more water too.

Thanks again!!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rita HB User

Number one (and possibly the ONLY one) wrinkle prevention: SUNSCREEN on your face and everywhere skin is exposed. Baking in the sun has caused the damage you see now and possibly more damage that has not shown up yet (but will). Sorry to scare you this way but it's the truth and maybe hearing it will help you make the decision to avoid the sun as much as possible and when not possible, wearing a sunscreen. You will then prevent any more damage.
    By the way: number one cancer among young adults now is melanoma. Enough said.

Last edited by rita; 03-02-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #10
    Muzkmkr
    (female)

Muzkmkr HB User

I agree with everyone who has posted so far. Wear sunscreen, take care of your skin and another suggestion would be to wear sunglasses. I have noticed I have more lines around my eyes when I don't wear sunglasses for a while. This may sound like a very basic thing, but I wear glasses and it is a pain to change them all the time. I have realized that it is ESSENTIAL to do this. You may not think you are squinting but after a while you'll be able to see the lines. Good luck and kudos to you for starting to take care of your skin while you are young and not waiting until there is a problem.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
    MoonLight0
    Inactive
    (female)

MoonLight0 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muzkmkr View Post
    I agree with everyone who has posted so far. Wear sunscreen, take care of your skin and another suggestion would be to wear sunglasses. I have noticed I have more lines around my eyes when I don't wear sunglasses for a while. This may sound like a very basic thing, but I wear glasses and it is a pain to change them all the time. I have realized that it is ESSENTIAL to do this. You may not think you are squinting but after a while you'll be able to see the lines. Good luck and kudos to you for starting to take care of your skin while you are young and not waiting until there is a problem.
    I totally agree with that, especially while driving. A couple of years ago I never wore sunglasses and I noticed that after a while I started to develop lines around the eye area because I'd squint when driving all the time, especially when it's really bright out. I started wearing sunglasses right away and now I don't have any issues with that.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
    Nici11
    (female)

Nici11 HB User

I actaully do wear sunglasses almost all the time when it's sunny. I think it hurts to squint! I can deffinatly see how not wearing sunglasses could make the problem worse though.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
    misskitty1221
    (female)

misskitty1221 HB User

first, make sure you are wearing sunscreen and moisturizer by your eyes. i also know that when your'e done drinking tea, save the tea bag and put it in the fridge. after a while, put it on your eyes and relax for about 30 min. this takes away a lot of the fine lines and wrinkles. good luck!!

Closed Thread