It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• highlights and touch ups

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
    anxiety27
    (female)

anxiety27 HB User
    highlights and touch ups

I have dark brown hair and have been highlighting it for about a year. I had light brown / blond foils down and I love it. My stylist made it blend in very nicely. My question is how do I keep the highlights looking the same each time I go and retouch it up? Meaning, I don't want to become a blond, yet I want to have the highlights that I currently have and not any more. I have friends who have my origional color hair and since as they continue to highlight their hair, they have become blond? What do I tell my stylist that I want done to maintain my highlights yet keep it minimal? Do I ask for highlights and lowlights or do I dye it dark brown after a couple of highlights to get my hair back to dark, and then start over again with the highlights?

Also.. I have some grays on the top of my head that my stylist said she needs to "touch up" before she highlights my hair. What does that mean? Will she put a permanent rinse in all over the hair or just on the top? I don't know if I want that in my hair just yet for a couple of grays?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
    jimmielegs
    (female)

jimmielegs HB User
    Re: highlights and touch ups

I have medium brown hair so my situation isn't the same as yours but it's similar. I also have some grey hair.

When you have your hair touched up, tell your hairdresser, "I don't want to be a blond, I like the amount of highlighting I currently have and the color of the highlights. Please just touch up the highlights." Tell her what you like about the highlights, i.e. "I like that it's streaky" or I like that the highlights are tiny and you can't see individual streaks." or whatever.

Never have your hair dyed to "start over." If you dye your hair and then highlight it, it may turn orange, and it will definitely damage your hair because you are double (or triple) processing it.

For that reason, I never have my grey hair touched up before highlighting. The grey simply looks like more highlighting.

And yes, you can request some "low lights" whenever you wish to have your hair a little darker.

Good luck!

Last edited by jimmielegs; 03-14-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
    Diane817
    (female)

Diane817 HB User

Yep I was going to say low lights as well. I had a horror story with my hair a few weeks back. The woman I went to had never colored my hair only cut but I thought I would let her highlight it. OMG big mistake. First she kept the bleach in to long and the under color on to long as well, she was suppose to only touch up the gray roots. I am 49 and normally have light to med brown hair with to much gray coming in. She cut it shorter than the picture I brought and pretty much fried the top of my hair. When she high lighted it she did not weave the hair at all but took chunks of it and put them in the foil. I did not want chunks and told her so. Needless to say I did not pay her, nor will I ever go back there. I looked like a skunk. The under was black. It was horrible. I had to go to another hairdresser to get the color straightened out. She did a great job of fixing it. Took several steps but thank goodness she was able to do it. It's still fried of course and will take a long time to be back to "normal" the blond she kept in she toned down so now it's not white, just blends in nicely with the brown. I was having panic attacks just thinking of what she'd done to me. I know.. no one ask for a horror story.. lol.. But I had to vent. Whatever you do talk to your hairdresser and make sure she is listening to you. Ask her to tell you what she is doing with each step. My new hairdresser did that and I was so grateful and reassured. She can cover the little bit of gray without much trouble.
    Take care and have a great day.
    Diane

Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
    anxiety27
    (female)

anxiety27 HB User

Thank you for responding as I am going in very soon. I am more nervous than ever now. My stylist is a bit overwhelming, always trying to tell me what to do with my hair for my shaped face.. please its my hair. I have like 10 grays on the top of my hair, not too noticable. My mom is telling me its not enough to start dying it, but Im not sure if thats even what my stylist means. I don't know exactly what she is going to do to "touch it up". I am leaning more towards not touching up but just touching up the growth of the highlights. They can add dark brown and the blond in though right?

Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
    Diane817
    (female)

Diane817 HB User

She probably does mean dying it when she says touching it up. Don't let her do anything to you that you are not ready for. It's your hair after all. 10 gray hairs is nothing to worry about. I have tons of it. I wished I'd know about my ex-hairdresser with color but I'd never seen her do it, only cuts. No wonder. lol. She can't do it worth a crap. If you know your hairdresser is good with color let her do it. You don't want more highlights, just lowlights right? So as not to be to blond? Just make sure she doesn't go to dark on you. Talk to her and make sure she understands completely. I have learned and lived to tell about it. We all do but why do we have to have such bad experiences sometimes. They go to school and should know but there are good and bad in every profession I guess.
    Good luck with what you do. Come back and let us know how it turns out.
    Diane

Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
    anxiety27
    (female)

anxiety27 HB User

Thank you Diane, your so sweet. She is really a good hairdresser, I trust her. I am just .. a worrier! I will let you know after its done in.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

There are different ways you can prevent your hair from becoming completely blonde. My hairstylist would ONLY highlight the roots of my hair as they grew out and would leave the rest of the bottom as it was. It would blend in and didn't look funny or anything.

You can also dye the whole thing brown over again (which I have done) and redo the highlights, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to be completely brunette again for a little while.. since there are other ways to do it.

Then you can do as you said, which would be to get lowlights AND highlights. I will be doing this next time I go in! It keeps the contrast so you don't become completely blonde.

For the gray parts, I would guess that she is just putting on color to the gray parts, but I'm not so sure... the good thing about blonde highlights is that is kind of blends in the gray hairs. Maybe she is just putting some brown dye on your roots to cover the gray, THEN they will do the highlights.

Closed Thread