It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

  • Acne scars and stretch marks.

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
    DesperationGirl
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 259
    DesperationGirl HB User
    Acne scars and stretch marks.

    I'm currently pregnant (due in September!) and have decided that, after my son is born, I want to work on improving my appearance and overall physical fitness. As part of this, I want to take care of stretch marks, cellulite and very bad acne scars that have always plagued me. I have extremely bad acne scarring due to the fact that I have a bad case of cystic acne. What can I do to get rid of these scars as much as possible? I've tried creams and neosporin, both to moderately good results (not while pregnant, obviously. Nothing going to be done while baby is in me.), but each time the effects would stop working after a few weeks.The scars return full strength and my acne that had receded springs back worse than ever.

    As for stretch marks, I have no idea what to do about them. I have them down my legs, stomach and arms.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
    dammie
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 129
    dammie HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    I don't know what to do about the acne scars, i have tons myself and am unable to come with an answer. As for the strech marks, a lady i used to work with said that through out her pregnancy she used to rub cocoa butter on her belly and that really prevented the strech marks, BUT i've heard that it can actually help them as well.
    P.S. Congrats on the baby.

     
    Old 06-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #3
    satine
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2006
    Location: Florida, USA
    Posts: 44
    satine HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    Coco butter does help fade away stretch marks. When I had surgery my doctor told me to use coco butter to make the scars fade away.

     
    Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
    fatoom90
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Posts: 143
    fatoom90 HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    scrub & apply cocoa butter
    scrubbing renews skin epidermal cells, while cocoa butter moisturizes very well & gives anti-stretchening effect.
    Some say that grape seed oil is anti-aging & lifting.

     
    Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Posts: 1,058
    rita HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    First of all, congratulations on the happy occasion. Is this your first?
    Don't worry about doing improvements now, just have a healthy baby. First things, first.
    After the baby is born you give yourself a few weeks to adjust, then get to work on yourself. I am positive you will make great improvements where you feel they are needed. I can tell you are determined to do so.

    First, stop using neosporin. It's probably what making your acne come back even worse.
    If you still have active acne then treatments for scars have to wait until your acne is gone. Is your acne acting up because of pregnancy? It's VERY common. You just need to wait it out until your hormones settle down a bit. In the meantime, try to prevent further scaring. You must see a dermatologist. He or she will know how to help you and try to prevent more damage. You can make plans with him on how to proceed and how to traet the scars. There are many ways now that really work well to reduce the scarring (even very bad one) so that it is hardly noticeable.
    As far as stretch marks, save your money and do not fall for ads that promise a miracle. There is none for this. Stretch marks will improve on their own, fading from purple/red to silvery white and becoming much less visible. Having said that, there is a way to treat FRESH stretch marks (when they are still red) with a special laser so if you have the money, go see a good plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They will know how to help. Otherwise, just leave the marks alone. Majority of women have them somwhere on their bodies. Don't worry about it. It's just not worth it.
    What you can do something about, though, is your physical condition.
    Make it a priority. No excuses.
    After you have your baby, start on a program of self improvement where YOU control the odds. You can, if you really want to, get into fantastic shape. You can look so good that no one will even notice any imperfections which worry you. I know it can be done, I have seen it countless times at my gym.

     
    Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
    DesperationGirl
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Posts: 259
    DesperationGirl HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    Thank you very much for the advice and suggestions, everyone!

    I'll definitely look into the cocoa butter. I've heard about using it before, but for some reason it hadn't really connected up in my mind.

    A dermatologist actually recommended neosporin to me, thus I'm rather confused... but I will definitely look into scheduling another appointment with a different doctor. I was told that I would always have acne, as that was the nature of the particular type of acne that I have. Thus far, I've never been entirely without acne, even when I had been on doctor prescribed medication for it.

    This baby will be my first, and it's really made my husband and myself want to set up fitness goals for ourselves. I've seen too many parents turn into "couch parents" after their kids are born, rather than keeping themselves in shape. Having so many younger cousins, I can definitely say that it's better to be in shape if you intend to keep up! I've already started looking into more passive excersize classes that I might even be able to take with my son with me (mother and baby yoga and a mother and baby water aerobics class), as well as gym memberships in our area.

    Will losing weight make the stretch marks more noticeable?

     
    Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
    LizzyandLuke
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 10
    LizzyandLuke HB User
    Talking Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    Hey!!

    Congratulations!!

    I just had my 8 month old baby boy in October 2006, so I have been doing LOTS of research about stretch marks. Though mine didn't come in too bad on the stomach (but still did come), I have big ones on the sides of my breasts and going down my thighs. Fun stuff!! LoL

    So, one thing that I have found and am going to start trying, is using Preperation H on the stretch marks. I'm not sure where I read it, or heard it. You can try doing a ****** search though. It said to apply to the stretch marks before exercising. Preperation H tightens the skin. My Mom told me that models use it under their eyes to tigthen the skin - no bags!!

    I will def. be trying it.

    GOOD LUCK!!

    - Lizzy

    P.S. - I'm not sure if exercising will make them more noticable, but when I tighten my skin using my hands, on my stomach, they appear less visable. So, I would immagine losing the weight & tightening the skin would help. Sounds right to me, LoL :P:P


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DesperationGirl View Post
    Thank you very much for the advice and suggestions, everyone!

    I'll definitely look into the cocoa butter. I've heard about using it before, but for some reason it hadn't really connected up in my mind.

    A dermatologist actually recommended neosporin to me, thus I'm rather confused... but I will definitely look into scheduling another appointment with a different doctor. I was told that I would always have acne, as that was the nature of the particular type of acne that I have. Thus far, I've never been entirely without acne, even when I had been on doctor prescribed medication for it.

    This baby will be my first, and it's really made my husband and myself want to set up fitness goals for ourselves. I've seen too many parents turn into "couch parents" after their kids are born, rather than keeping themselves in shape. Having so many younger cousins, I can definitely say that it's better to be in shape if you intend to keep up! I've already started looking into more passive excersize classes that I might even be able to take with my son with me (mother and baby yoga and a mother and baby water aerobics class), as well as gym memberships in our area.

    Will losing weight make the stretch marks more noticeable?

     
    Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Posts: 1,058
    rita HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LizzyandLuke View Post
    Hey!!

    Congratulations!!

    I just had my 8 month old baby boy in October 2006, so I have been doing LOTS of research about stretch marks. Though mine didn't come in too bad on the stomach (but still did come), I have big ones on the sides of my breasts and going down my thighs. Fun stuff!! LoL

    So, one thing that I have found and am going to start trying, is using Preperation H on the stretch marks. I'm not sure where I read it, or heard it. You can try doing a ****** search though. It said to apply to the stretch marks before exercising. Preperation H tightens the skin. My Mom told me that models use it under their eyes to tigthen the skin - no bags!!

    I will def. be trying it.

    GOOD LUCK!!

    - Lizzy

    P.S. - I'm not sure if exercising will make them more noticable, but when I tighten my skin using my hands, on my stomach, they appear less visable. So, I would immagine losing the weight & tightening the skin would help. Sounds right to me, LoL :P:P

    Please save yourself the trouble and money with Preparation H. It does absolutely nothing for stretch marks. Zip. If it was only that easy!
    Exercising will have no effect on stretch marks either. Exercise does not tighten the skin. Skin is not a muscle and exercise works the muscles only.
    Losing weight also will not tighten the skin. Just the opposite. The more weight you lose, the looser the skin will be afterwards. That's because the skin is stretched when a person is overweight and then, when the weight is lost, the skin usually remains the way it was when it fit over a larger body so you end up with excess skin. If a person wasn't overweight too long or too much, and the skin is still elastic enough, it will shrink back somewhat, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on individual factors such as genetics.
    Not much can be done for either stretch marks or loose skin. Only plastic surgery will get rid of both.

    Last edited by rita; 07-02-2007 at 08:27 PM.

     
    Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
    leilani3202
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: spokane, wa, usa
    Posts: 107
    leilani3202 HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    so ive always heard that cocoa butter helps stretch marks, and then the other day i heard aloe vera helps with acne scars, and scars in general. so would aloe vera help stretch marks you think??

     
    Old 07-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
    rita
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Posts: 1,058
    rita HB User
    Re: Acne scars and stretch marks.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leilani3202 View Post
    so ive always heard that cocoa butter helps stretch marks, and then the other day i heard aloe vera helps with acne scars, and scars in general. so would aloe vera help stretch marks you think??
    Cocoa butter doesn't get rid of existing stretch marks. Nothing you appy topically will do that. That's the harsh truth but it's better than wasting your time and money on a futile search for "miracle".
    Cocoa butter may help prevent some stretch marks by keeping the skin supple.
    Aloe vera is a great product for treating burns and generally keeping the skin moist. It does nothing, however, for either scars or stretch marks.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Acne making lines on face worse andertrack Acne 3 12-21-2006 10:20 AM
    OBAGI/ACNE - why am I not happy after all the improvement..sigh ksk226 Acne 0 10-29-2006 01:11 AM
    Acne scars! at101 Acne 15 04-23-2006 08:26 PM
    Whats the diff between a post acne mark and a scar? Knicks21 Acne 1 09-18-2005 09:05 PM
    What you've tried for clearing acne scars/red marks and success rate Amycola83 Acne 6 05-13-2003 04:55 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!