It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• facial................

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
    daisy-duke77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
    facial................

My face is worse after a facial!! Is this common? I have had alot of clogged pore's and very dry skin due to drastic weather changes. She did a very mild facial with extractions. I have had facial's in the past and she was by far the best i had, including very noligable on my condition................BUT..........i have more acne then ever!! Could this be because of the extractions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
    amo
    (female)

amo HB User
    Re: facial................

Yea, for sure. I never had any acne problems until after my first facial when I was about 17. Not that a facial gave me acne, but I think it aggrevated an underlying issue.
    If it seemed like a good facial, hopefully she just really released a lot from your skin, and you are breaking out as a result. It should clear up after the initial break out if that's the case.
    Just be gentle with your skin right now, give it time to balance out.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
    nisam78
    (female)

nisam78 HB User

Breaking out after a facial is really normal. She must have done a good job of getting all the bad stuff out from your skin. That's why they say not to get a facial before a big event.
    After your third facial, your skin should start looking fabulous. Some of my friends don't have to wear as much makeup.
    For me, it's used to help the condition of my skin. Just started getting pricey.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
    amy2705
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

amy2705 HB User

I don't have anything against facials ... but my derm told me not to get them. I used to have acne (which thankfully cleared up years ago). I still see the derm every 6 months just to make sure things are in check. He warned my against facials, even now that my skin has been clear for years, for two reasons: (1) the extractions, and (2) the steam.

He said the extractions are okay provided the person doing them is a trained esthetitican. If the person isn't trained properly, they can cause problems - like permanent scaring.

His main issue was with the steam. He said steam actually just makes your skin swell and that contrary to popular belief, the swelling closes your pores really really tight - it does not open them (which makes sense when you think about it). So when your skin looks all smooth after a facial it's just because of the swelling of the pores and top layer of the skin. He says because the swelling plumps everything up, your skin looks smooth but all the junk is trapped in the pores that are swollen shut. This can cause acne and can make existing acne much worse. This is why you break out after a facial. It's not that the facial cleared it out, it's because it was trapped in. And then a layer of cream was put on top.

Basically, he strongly recommended against them but said if I insisted on getting them to make sure that they absolutely do not use steam, only use non-comedogenic products and extractions are only done by a trained, qualified esthetician.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
    daisy-duke77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

Well i found out that i am allergic to the product she was using! I had a HORRIBLE reaction! It is slowly but surely getting better! Thanks for the replies!

Closed Thread