It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
GIDGET933
(female)

GIDGET933 HB User
Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Hi everyone.
I'm hoping to connect with others that have/had Bell's palsy. Mine started about a week ago, with a numbness on the right side of my lips. It spread to my right cheek and eye the next day. My right ear is super sensitive to sound, my eye doesn't close, chewing food is difficult, I can't spit (brushing teeth) and my speech is slurred. Terribly stressful and embarrassing.
I'm using straws to drink, eye drops constantly (with a patch when at home) and now carry earplugs. Perhaps there's useful tips you can share on how you deal or dealt with it. I'd sure appreciate them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
theman2
(male)

theman2 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Bell's palsy

Any improvement for you yet? I just got diagnosed today, right side as well. My ears are fine but my eye doesnt close very well and is sensitive to light. My speech is normal at low volumes only. Buddy who has been through it says to look in the mirror and try to do face movements, even if the results are poor.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:48 AM   #3
GIDGET933
(female)

GIDGET933 HB User

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you have Bell's Palsy, but hope that your symptoms have gotten as bad as they'll get. Mine didn't fully erupt until after I'd gone to Urgent Care, where they said mine was a mild case. It got worse.

However, I'm very happy to report that as of day 23, my mouth has lifted, as has my eyelid. I still need to use a straw to drink and tape my eye shut at night, but am encouraged by the improvement I see.
I was put on Gabapentin, used a heating pad for the pain (and it got bad, especially my cheek and jaw bones) and slept a lot (I had the luxury of not working, seeing how I'd just lost my job of 22 years, which I totally think brought on the BP). I also did gentle massage and would try to move my face in the mirror as your buddy suggests.

Best of luck, I hope you heal quickly.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
theman2
(male)

theman2 HB User

Thanks, sounds like I dont have it too bad as I am about at your level now. Eye slightly drooped but otherwise normal, until I try and move that is. Neck pain every day. I can close my eye at night now but just barely. Time to get back on my best friend the heating pad.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
bajadoug
(male)

bajadoug HB User

Hello. Just wondering how you're progressing? My Bell's came on close to the same time as yours, about 10 weeks ago. I made a personal decision to not take the prescribed steroids, but instead take a selection of nutrients for the nervous system. I'm about 50% recovered at this point. Don't need to tape the eye shut anymore, although it still doesn't blink normally. Haven't had any residual pain since about day 4, possibly due to the anti-inflammatory foods and nutrients. My smile is about half way back. Still slur a little when pronouncing certain words, but hardly noticeable. I feel that at this pace of recovery, I should be 100% within the next couple months. Hope you are progressing as well. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
theman2
(male)

theman2 HB User

Cant speak for the op, but I have been about 90% back to normal since 4 weeks. Right eye still takes more effort to close and feels dry but everything else is back to full function. Hang in there!

Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #7
bajadoug
(male)

bajadoug HB User

Wow, you're doing amazingly well at only 1 month from onset. You must have had a fairly mild case or are an extremely fast healer. Would you mind sharing your personal strategy? Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
theman2
(male)

theman2 HB User

I didnt do anything special, took the steroids and kept trying to move the paralyzed muscles everyday, chewing gum seamed to help.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
tobityler
(female)

tobityler HB User

My mom has all of the same symptoms. Her ENT put her on Prednisone and an anti-viral med (don't know the name). He was upset that the Neurologist didn't do this when she saw him two days earlier. She uses an eye drop every 3 hours and an eye salve at night. She is wearing her eye patch. The ear noise has diminished and her eye is looking much better after just one week. Her mouth still droops and she uses a straw to drink, but she can eat and talk much better now. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
Bp liverpool
(male)

Bp liverpool HB User

Sorry you have been diagnosed, I was 8 months ago. I was complaisant and thought I could carry on as normal. I've just had a check up and been told I'm 80% recovered and can expect 5% more at the most as my recovery has plateaued. Remember when you have bells you are not well it is your body letting you know. Remove as much stress as you can, rest as much as you can and look after yourself! Also I have found chewing gum keeps your face stimulated and have seen improvements from chewing! Good luck

Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
kd1024
(female)

kd1024 HB User

I'm 8 days in on my first experience with BP 4th day on steroids. Have you experienced facial twitching or pain in the face? My upper eyelid, cheek, lip and chin will all twitch periodically. I'm wondering if that's a good sign? Too early to see progress?
I have pain to the touch on my cheek and jaw.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
Jtuck
(female)

Jtuck HB User

Hi, my son was diagnosed in may this year (he's 2) we are in NZ so no ticks, they were thinking either a viral infection he had the week before or I personally think it was a knock to his head which happened just before the onset of his BP, I'm just wondering as he's only 90% back to normal now (slightly droopy on the left side when he's tired and eye closes when smiling and opens while crying) have you any advice on what I should do since it's not completely right still after 6 months

Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Mw R I P
(male)

Mw R I P HB User

Massage your face! Please take this advice especially if you want your face to return to a high percentage of "normal" work the muscles in your face that you can not work due to the paralyzing. I can't give u a definite answer as to if it will definitely work but since massaging my neck and face everyday it seems the healing process has moved forward a lot faster.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
Alex100470
(female)

Alex100470 HB User

Hi...just diagnosed 4 days ago..i m devastated. My left face won t move my ear hurts badly my eye wont close...eating almost impossible drinking only with a straw. I m on steroids and antibiotics. I have eyedrops..but what about my psyche?? I cant smile...i feel this is even worse than all of the above. I look like a freak when i try and when i talk i cant pronounce certain words..i dont want to go out and expose myself not even to my kids..i m just a total wreck..any tips for surviving the first couple of days??

Old 02-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #15
JLS2017
(female)

JLS2017 HB User

Hi Bridget. I was diagnosed a week ago Wed with BP. I've finished a course of steroids and anti-virals. At diagnosis, I was probably a grade V or VI -- no movement at all -- but now I can almost close my affected eye although I do not yet have a spontaneous blink reflex. Also, I still have no movement in my lips, forehead, etc. The only good news is that the wrinkles on my forehead have disappeared ;-). I have tried to find information on time to recovery by grade but can't. My guess is that my recovery (if it happens) will take months....

Reply Reply