It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Just Disgnosed w/ BP - 26 w/ MS

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
kd1024
(female)

kd1024 HB User
Just Disgnosed w/ BP - 26 w/ MS

Hi, everyone!
About 2.5 weeks ago I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Everything was fine until a week post surgery (9/22/16). My tongue started to go numb, but I thought I was having a reaction to food. The next morning my left outer lip started tingling; by mid morning I attempted to put on lipstick and noticed my left side of my lip wouldn't go up all the way. I tried smiling at my husband and he looked worried. By that evening, I lost total function of the left side of my lip and by the next morning the entire left side of my face.
I panicked all weekend wondering if something had gone wrong with the surgery.
I had a follow up appointment w/ my oral surgeon Monday (9/26/26) who told me it wasn't brought on by the surgery but presumes it to be BP. He encouraged me to visit my neurologist.
I was diagnosed with MS last November, so I already have a neurologist. I met w/ my neurologist who said it is a coincidence that this happened 7 days after the wisdom teeth but could have been broght on by a virus (none present) or stress. I still have to get an MRI next week to rule out the *chance* of it being an MS symptom (although with MS, the facial paralysis typically occurs only on the mouth).
I'm on my 7th day since the onset. I was prescribed Prednisone 9/27/16 (day 5) and I have been taking B12 vitamins, too. I have no function in the entire left side of my face. My upper eyelid is dropped, but the lower lid does not sag. I have trouble saying words with "B" "P" & "F."
Has anyone tried acupuncture & had any luck? It's frustrating not having a timeframe besides "sometimes a few weeks, other times a few months & a few years in some cases."
What makes a BP case mild or severe? Is the "usual" timeframe thought to be about a month? Has anyone had this multiple times? Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply