It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Sensitive ear and tingling in lip after more than 10 years

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Aexaa
(female)

Aexaa HB User
Sensitive ear and tingling in lip after more than 10 years

Hello,

Was diagnosed with BP in 2004. After different types of treatment the paralysis cleared.
My problem now is the fact that my ear is so sensitive a lot of types of sounds really hurt and can even cause the nerve leading to my lip to tingle.
Does anyone recognise this and what can be done about it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User
Unhappy Re: Sensitive ear and tingling in lip after more than 10 years

Yes, I have the same hearing problem. It's called, "Hyperacusis". My palsy was on the right side of my face, however the left ear became sympathetic and I have hyperacusis in both ears now. IT's difficult to live with this hearing problem. Earplugs can cause me pain if they hit the nerve that runs through there. I wish I had some hope to offer, but all I can say is you will have to learn to cope.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User
Re: Sensitive ear and tingling in lip after more than 10 years

Also, I get a lot of unpleasant and sometimes painful sensations with the hyperacusis. Including but not limited to a thumping sound/feeling in my ear drums, the sound/feeling that water is rolling through my ears, a stabbing sensation in my head and/or ears, dizziness, a strange "twanging" type of feeling in my ears. If I am exposed to sound that bothers me for any great length of time I become dizzy and feel sort of "off".

When earplugs are painful and impossible to use ear muffs may be a better option. For example, eating while wearing ear plugs is extremely difficult. As the chewing motion of the jaw moves the ear around also, this causes the nerve to be painful due to the pressure of the earplug. Walking while wearing earplugs is loud because I can hear my footsteps, it's like I am stomping around on my own ear drum, In social situations where I am expected to carry on a conversation earplugs make it hard to judge the volume of my voice. I did get a certain kind of earplugs from "ear peace" which are much better than regular earplugs. They are more expensive though.

By the way, the reason it affected our hearing is that it affected the muscles in the ear which are responsible for the acoustic reflex. This reflex causes the muscles to contract in order to deflect sound.Because these muscles now only function partially we are more susceptible to feeling pain with low decibel sound as well as very loud sounds. I fins sometimes volume is not the main problem so much as pitch. Speaking voices are difficult for me especially women and children and men with booming voices. Among a plethora of other sounds of varying pitches and volumes.

Last edited by MalloryKnox; 01-04-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: adding more info

Reply Reply