It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Bell's Palsy lingering effects.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User
Bell's Palsy lingering effects.

I had Bell's Palsy back around May of 2011. I have times where I worry about a relapse. Sometimes my face gets "stuck". Like my upper lip will stick for a fer seconds on the palsy side, sometimes I get a twinge of pain that I worry could be the start of round two. Some people say they get symptoms such as pain or twitching, weakness, dropping etc.. during cold or rainy weather. Who else has recovered yet still gets these funky things going on? If so please describe what happens to you. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Aexaa
(female)

Aexaa HB User
Re: Bell's Palsy lingering effects.

I have similar problems. My BP was in 2004. Although most of it cleared (going through acupuncture, electro muscle stimulation and various drugs) my face still is very sensitive. A cold will cause the facial nerve to become painful. I can feel where it exits the foramen beneath my ear. Over the cause of the day the whole nerve becomes sensitive, especially the branche going to the mouth. My lips start tingling. Sometimes my eye starts to water as well.
Similar sensations are caused by loud noises (the pain and tingling can last more than two days) and it is no longer possible to wear earrings.
Although it now has happened a lot of times without causing real paralysis, it still is a very frightening feeling....!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User

It is a bad feeling! I have not had any relapse but these sensations do make me worry about it! I have times where eating crunchy food causes my face to hurt on the "Palsy side". I don't wear earrings often, but I will keep it in mind next time I do. If they cause my face to hurt I won't worry so much since you mentioned it.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Aexaa
(female)

Aexaa HB User

I have the impression the hole in my earlobe is at an acupuncture point, so when I put an earring in it, is starts to "work" because I can feel the whole path of my nerve being "illuminated". Not necessarily a nice feeling

Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
allig71
(female)

allig71 HB User

Hi MalloryKnoxx-
I've had Bell's 8 times. All on the left side.
I have constant issues with my affected side. All of what you are describing is "normal" if you didn't recover fully. Feel free to ask any questions....I'm kind of a pro at this.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User

That is TERRIBLE!!! I can't imagine going through it that many times! How long do you go between episodes?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
allig71
(female)

allig71 HB User

On and off over the last 10 years or so. Twice this year a month a part. Stress is a huge factor. My Neurologist says the more you get it....the MORE you get it. I have residual side effects.I would say I have about 30% residual paralysis that won't come back. Pain...eye issues, facial/jaw Charley horses that'll stop me in my tracks...lethargy....I hAve it all. Most people who have not been effected...have no idea the pain and suffering we go through. Good luck to all....get your rest!!!

Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
MalloryKnox
(female)

MalloryKnox HB User

BLEGH!!! I HATE the facial and neck charlie horses! This really do suck. I had one in my neck once that left it sore for a week! It's like the charlie horse starts in the lower front of the jaw and goes straight down. I have not had one of those in a while but man I hope I don't get one any time soon! The way winter seems to irritate it I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I also read that the more you get the palsy the more you get it. Thankfully I have had only one round but I feel like I have to stay mentally prepared just in case.

My heart goes out to you because getting it that often is just terrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Do you take any vitamins or anything to try and prevent or alleviate it?

Reply Reply