It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

Timeline to recover from third nerve palsy?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #1
Tori2020
(female)

Tori2020 HB User
Timeline to recover from third nerve palsy?

I developed third nerve palsy two years ago and I can't recover. When it came on I developed strabismus and ptosis (droopy eye that turns out) on my right side.

After two years my eye still won't open at all. My doctor says there is really no cure and I just have to wait for it to go away spontaneously.

Is there a chance I won't get use of my eye back? I'm only 25 and they told me I would be better in 6 months when this started.

Is there anything I can do? So tired of seeing out of one eye and being weird looking! Its making me very anti-social and taking away my confidence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Timeline to recover from third nerve palsy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori2020 View Post

Is there anything I can do?
Hi Tori2020,

There's no guarantee of results but there might be something you can try, depending on the cause. What you have is a form of neuropathy and you can try treating the underlying cause. For example, high blood pressure, infection or diabetes.

Based on the above causes, it would make sense to maintain the healthiest lifestyle possible. In other words, eat a healthy diet consisting of natural whole foods (i.e., avoid processed foods as much as possible). Maintain a healthy weight and healthy percentage of body fat. Don't smoke and limit consumption of alcohol. Exercise, and be at least moderately active.

About diet: I don't think a high protein diet is a healthy diet. A healthy diet is high in fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, limited whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. In other words, animal protein should be kept somewhat low and you can compensate by eating more healthful protein such as beans and lentils etc.. These foods will help to raise the nutrition and fiber content of your diet. The fiber content of your diet, from natural whole foods, should be at least 25 grams per day.

You might need to have your B12 checked if you go too low on consumption of animal protein. You might try vegan meals for breakfast and lunch and that should be okay.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-06-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #3
Tori2020
(female)

Tori2020 HB User

Thanks, John.

I thought my diet was pretty healthy, but based on what you said I guess it isn't. I also have problems sleeping and usually don't get enough.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori2020 View Post
Thanks, John.

I thought my diet was pretty healthy, but based on what you said I guess it isn't. I also have problems sleeping and usually don't get enough.
Getting enough sleep and reducing stress are two things I neglected to mention and both are very important. Perhaps going for a leisurely walk in the evening might help, or doing some stretching exercises. I know it helps me if I do some easy exercising about one hour before going to sleep.

Also, it might help to take a short nap at mid-afternoon if you feel you need it.

About eating a healthy diet: No one can know for sure just how strict a diet needs to be to reverse a health condition. But I do know that some studies have been done indicating that DNA can be repaired with a strict vegetarian diet, exercise and stress control.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-07-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: To add some thoughts

Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Tori2020
(female)

Tori2020 HB User
Unhappy Re: Timeline to recover from third nerve palsy?

Its been about 5 months since I first made this thread. I tried improving my diet and getting more rest. I've gotten in better shape too. So far there is no improvement with my eye though.

I'm being told there is nothing I can really do about nerve damage and it has to heal on its own. I'm starting to think this might be permanent. Its going on three years.

Reply Reply