It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bell's Palsy Message Board

• Solving the Eye Problems Associated with Bellís Palsy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
    mrbjnu

mrbjnu HB User
    Lightbulb Solving the Eye Problems Associated with Bellís Palsy

A number of years ago I had Bellís Palsy that caused my left eye not to fully close for a few months. I soon found out that this was a dangerous problem because if the eye dries out too much it could result in eye damage, there was also the risk of inadvertently getting in the open eye that my reflex could not properly closed. If my eye was covered with a patch it limited my sight and depth perception and if I used glasses they effected both eyes nor where they totally effective against debris nor dry eye.
    I found a unique way to solve all of these problems at little costs with items found readily available that so impressed my doctor he wanted me to market the idea. In stead I describe to offer the idea free by posting it on a few internet sites that are a forum for people with Bellís Palsy. I hope this help because it greatly helped me get through the ordeal of having Bellís Palsy and it will most likely work for any medical problem that causes an eye not to close.
    All that is needed is a good pair of scissors, some fabric elastic banding, a sheet of paper or two, clear, thin plastic sheet (I found mine at the salad bar), and an awl or anything to punch a hole in the plastic.
    What I finally did that solved all of these problems with the least daily fuss was to go to the salad bar at my local supermarket and get a few large salad containers; the big ones with a big flat area of clear, thin plastic on the top and bottom. Then I cut a clear, flat plastic patch out of the bottom or top of one of these containers. I got about three because it took a few tries to get the patch to fit my eye and get the fabric elastic strap attached to the patch properly. I took the extras because the the patch needs to fit as snug as possible and I tend to be a perfectionist about such things but even then I think I only used parts of two if the salad boxes.
    When the patch fits snug the natural moisture from a personís eye and skin keeps the humidity high under the patch which keeps the eye plenty moist. Mine occasionally would get extra moisture on the underside of the plastic patch which was easy to clean; just lift up the lower edge of the patch and wipe with a clean cloth. The good fit was also a good protection from any dust or other debris and the clear plastic made the visibility with the left eye normal. But maybe the best part is the clear plastic made the patch much less noticeable.
    The best way to make the patch was to lay a piece of paper over the bad eye and trace a line on the top starting from the middle of the forehead just above the eyebrows. This will be an attachment point so make it a little bigger, then draw a line on the paper across the forehead just above the eyebrow to near the temple. There will be another point here for attaching the fabric elastic strip so make it a little bigger also. Do not worry if you make it too big you can always cut it down later. Next draw a slightly curved line down from you temple, crossing you cheek a little below the cheek bone until you are near the nose. Getting the nose are correct is important but the paper will not bend properly so do an approximation but leave extra. As you near the nose try to round the corner as you curve it up near the nose, then sort of hook the line up on top of the nose near the middle of the bridge. Then finally draw the line on the paper back up the top of the nose to the middle of the forehead where you started.
    Cut it out the paper with a pair of scissors, lay it over you eye, and make any adjustments that seem good for you. This is a good time to make fine adjustments around the nose but also be careful not to trim too much or you will have to start over. After you have made all of the adjustments, tape the paper to a corner of the thin plastic sheet being careful to leave room for more patches if necessary. Cutout the plastic patch with a good pair of scissors and remove all of the paper and any tape. Make a hole to attach the fabric elastic band in the corner over the center of the forehead and tie it. Make another hole in the patch over the temple but donít tie it until you know the length of the fabric elastic band you will need. When you try it on you will be able to find the correct length, then tie it and try it out. You may want to make some minor adjustment but ware it for a while before making any new modification to get a better feel for what may need to be changed. While this may seem complicated, it is actuality not and it even gets easier with each successful attempt. As I said earlier this greatly reduced the maintenance through the day and helped me live my life with Bellís Palsy.
    If a person has both sides of the face effected by Bellís Palsy this will still work by either making a one piece covering over both eyes or repeat the process for each eye. My sense is that it would be better to make an patch for each eye and connect them together because it would give more flexibility to the individual patches. If that does not word it be easier to make a dual eye patch out of the two eye patches that would fit properly than making a single patch for both eyes. That could be very difficult to get the area round the nose fitting snugly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply