It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Good medication for rapid cycling bi polar

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
elliej88
(female)

elliej88 HB User
Good medication for rapid cycling bi polar

I'm diagnosed with rapid cycling bi polar, also have remission state petit mal epilepsy.

I've been put on tegratol as it can treat both but I've put on loads of weight, got really spotty and am just depressed most of the time (at least i;m not manic ay!!)

is there another medication anyone could recommend me?

preferably no weight gain!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
JustMeJen
Senior Veteran
(female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
Re: Good medication for rapid cycling bi polar

I've been on nearly everything for rapid cycling mixed bipolar I. The most effective med for me by far is Seroquel XR. (And the XR made an incredible difference; when it came out I begged to go on it immediately and within days noticed a difference). It's not weight neutral unfortunately although I didn't have trouble with it at normal doses (I'm on a lot of it now and that has caused weight gain but on lower doses I was able to lose 60 lbs of weight from depakote and maintained that until I had to increase the dose quite a bit and also use other meds that cause weight gain). It is also a pretty good antidepressant I think; not for me but it is supposed to be.

Lamictal is pretty good and is pretty weight neutral. I was on it twice; I was in a clinical trial for it and that time it made me throw up a lot. Later I went back on it but at a lower dose and was feeling great and just out of the range when the rash usually happens when I got the rash. Because of how badly I had the rash and the location of it and that it was my 2nd bad experience I'm considered allergic even though one time with the rash doesn't usually disqualify you from trying again. The few weeks that it worked that time though were pretty good. (It does take what feels like forever to get to a minimum therapeutic level).

Those have been the best mood stabilizers for me. I went through pretty much every antidepressant out there without success until I started Emsam which is an MAOI. It works really well but there are food and drug interactions that you have to watch out for and it's usually considered a last resort med. I've been on it for 5 years now and have done really well with it. It's really changed my life in fact, it and the Seroquel XR together. Far from symptom free but better than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliej88 View Post
I'm diagnosed with rapid cycling bi polar, also have remission state petit mal epilepsy.

I've been put on tegratol as it can treat both but I've put on loads of weight, got really spotty and am just depressed most of the time (at least i;m not manic ay!!)

is there another medication anyone could recommend me?

preferably no weight gain!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
LaceyAnne
(female)

LaceyAnne HB User

Hey there,

I find that I rapid cycle to the point where if I'm bad enough I suddenly "am" borderline.

I'm on lamotrigine and quetiapine and probably couldn't be doing better with this combination. I don't even want/need DBT (or whatever) therapy anymore...

Also antidepressants make this a LOT worse -- I feel I'd have been depressed without them but probably should have ditched them anyway.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
LaceyAnne
(female)

LaceyAnne HB User

Abilify is a good one too. For weight. I only gained a few lbs but came out of mania very very quickly.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
lastflowers1
(female)

lastflowers1 HB User

I have found ability to be very effective for rapid cycling , 7.5 mg

Old 01-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
lastflowers1
(female)

lastflowers1 HB User

Parietal is a wonderful mood stabilizer