It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

thought projecting

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
thoughtprojecti
(male)

thoughtprojecti HB User
thought projecting

Recently diagnosed with bi-polar, one of the symptoms is delusional thinking. I'm aware of this, yet can't help but think that this is an unproven theory of the medical community cast as a fact in the public eye. Recently started having strange experiences, i would be thinking of something, like ' i wish my neighbor would clean up the cigarette butts on their lawn' then they did. Or 'driving to the mall with wife, i thought she should go to home depot instead, and look at the discount lumber pile' she did, and she didn't realize until she was already there. More experiences like this have happened. Perhaps if I thought with 100% certainty i was psychicly projecting my thoughts, that might make me delusional, but I'm very aware all these experiences may be a coincidence. So, what's the likelihood that 5-10 experiences like this would happen to me within a week, and be just coincidence?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 AM   #2
SuccessStory
(male)

SuccessStory HB User
Re: thought projecting

Late reply, but hopefully you see this. I don't want to come across as condescending, but those are absolutely delusional thoughts. You can not control external things (people, objects, events, etc.) with your thoughts. That belief defies the well established laws of physics. You are even admitting that this "belief" that persisted for a week is incorrect.

Please let me attempt to explain your likely thought process. You are imagining/wishing that ordinary very likely realistic scenarios will happen. Based on your previous life experiences, you are applying that information to figure out the most logical/probable outcome from these ordinary situations you have mentioned. These scenarios/events are happening because of the same external stimuli you and these other people are being exposed to. Eventually your neighbor would clean up her cigarette butts; maybe she has cleaned them before once they've accumulated enough, and you noticed that she hit that same accumulation point that lead her to clean them up last time. With your wife, you probably had a previous conversation at some point related to building something out of wood, and obviously the realistic reaction for her would to go check it out, especially if the discount lumber pile sells out quickly, which I imagine it does.

Life is very similar to chess. In these situations you were able to see several moves ahead, but you definitely did not cause these things to happen with your thoughts!

You are aware these are delusions. Don't let those thoughts fool you! Logically think through your thought process and make sure everything aligns with reality (especially the laws of physics).

Medication helps stop those delusions, and the ones that slip through you will be able to recognize as delusions and throw them out.

Good Luck!

Reply Reply