It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Lamictal

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
AnneinTexas
(female)

AnneinTexas HB User
Lamictal

My doctor recently prescribed Lamictal. I am currently on Ziprasidone, Geodon, and Klonopin. She says I need a mood stabilizer as Geodon has not been approved for such. I am afraid to take the Lamictal for fear of contracting the deadly rash. Anyone have any suggestions? I want a mood stabilizer with the least side effects as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
arouetta
(female)

arouetta HB User
Re: Lamictal

I was on Lamictal, I found it effective. They started me on a tiny dose, I think 25mg/day, and went up very slowly to avoid the rash. I was below therapeutic levels for over a month, that was done to avoid triggering the rash. My doctor said that after a few weeks, you no longer are at risk and that was when he bumped it up to therapeutic levels.

Drink lots and lots of water on it. The dry mouth is a little rough.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Siberiana
Inactive
(female)

Siberiana HB User

Hi! I am currently on Geodon (ziprasidone) but did start w lamotrigine since my diagnosis back about 10 yrs ago - when I had acute manic episode and then the devastating depression that follows. Lamictal is a great med - don't refuse it for fear of the Steven-Johns. reaction - they will start you on a low dose and go up, and it is well worth it my friend!

Old 10-09-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
SuccessStory
(male)

SuccessStory HB User

Lamictal works great! I worked my way up to 200mg per night and have been on it for about 4 years. I also take 200mg of Seroquel. This combination dampened my mood swings that would alternate between deep depression to hypomania into a socially acceptable range. I'm very calm and collected and have never felt better. There are definitely side effects though... they have become less noticeable over the years. Double vision when falling asleep; vivid dreams; occasional twitches; insane drowsiness (why I take them in the evening); weight gain (sedentary office job doesn't help though); blurred vision occasionally (but I spend 12 hours a day staring at a computer screen). Honestly the side effects are definitely worth the freedom from the illness, and they do go away/you get used to them over time! For me the actual beneficial effects from Lamictal just crept up on me about a month in "Hey I feel normal, this is great!". Take it at night, then go to sleep. Honestly, I attribute my ability to finish my Bachelor's degree and Master's Degree while working full time to 2 things: quitting alcohol and taking Lamictal. It really works.

Good Luck!

Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
juniper86
(female)

juniper86 HB User

I take Lamictal -- I started with Oxtellar XR which is the extended release but my insurance wouldn't cover it when I switched insurances.

I've never had a rash and I take a lot of MGs.. like 600 in the am and 900 at night I think. It works well for me.

Good luck!

Reply Reply