It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Has anyone heard of this?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
arouetta
(female)

arouetta HB User
Has anyone heard of this?

I moved, needed a new doctor. On top of the move, I lost my insurance and had a delay in getting new insurance, so I ended up having to stop all my psych meds cold turkey over 2 months ago.

I saw a new doctor today, I guess I fell apart in his office, I don't know. I took my husband in with me because as I told the doctor, right now I don't know if my perception of reality actually corresponds with reality.

So I got new prescriptions, two are staying the same, one is changing. I went from lamictal, lithium and seroquel to lamictal, zyprexa and seroquel. I asked how to get back on it. Lamictal, as expected, super tiny dose to start. The seroquel and zyprexa though, he's not going up, I'm starting full dose right off the bat.

I don't think I've ever had a medicine where I didn't titrate up. But anti-psychotics are a relatively new thing for me to take and I'm in a crisis stage right now. Is starting off at a therapeutic dose instead of building up common?

The following user gives a hug of support to arouetta:
Siberiana (09-01-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Siberiana
Inactive
(female)

Siberiana HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of this?

Hi there! Altho Im new to these boards I am not new to BPD , manic and depr. episodes, and I have been on probably every possible combo of meds known to psychiatry! I also have the diagnoses of anorexia, and PTSD.

typing these words is kind of surreal but anyways - yes often the psych doc mayl start you on (except of course lamictal) the lowest effective dose - so for eg.ziprazidone, technically you'd start at 20mg/d ... which wont work for 90% of bipolar pts, so you start either 20 bid, or the more reasonable 40mgs qd - increased to bid after 7 - 10 days - depending upon your reaction to it - ie. too sedating - and so on until pt feels symptoms are under control. The newer prescribing practices do tend to go up faster than in previous decades. Of course you have to take into accnt the prescribers's style, AND the severity of your symptoms. So the dose will be brought up faster if for eg. youre in an acute manic state, vs just need maintenance doses.
How are you doing on your new combo?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Reply Reply