It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

How to explain what taking medication is like?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
juniper86
(female)

juniper86 HB User
How to explain what taking medication is like?

Long story short, I have been seeing someone for 6 months and he knows I'm bipolar and said he didn't mind. We went away for one night (Sunday to Monday) and I didn't take my evening pills. I have a hard time swallowing pills and couldn't get them down. Usually I hide them in a soft food and we didn't have anything in the hotel room.

Last night we are texting and I was a little emotional (sad) and he said "missing your pills last night catching up to you now?"

I felt like a freak and worse yet he didn't realize he said something really hurtful until I told him I was mad, mortified, and upset. Am I overreacting? How do I explain to him that I can be upset and it have nothing to do with my medications or missing them?

I have a very hard time with my family and my mental health issues. My father thinks I need to "shake it off" when I'm down and "get over it." I don't want to push my new guy away but I want to explain what it is to be bipolar and I'm not doing very well at it.

Thanks all for any suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Anxious Jane
(female)

Anxious Jane HB User
Re: How to explain what taking medication is like?

Maybe you could find him an article on mental illness, or have him go with you to your therapist, if you have one. If he cares for you, he will take the time needed to empathize with you. It can be really difficult to describe to someone your mental health needs. I understand.

Reply Reply