It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

I really need help explaining bipolar illness to my boyfriend.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
Kgdepressed
(female)

Kgdepressed HB User
I really need help explaining bipolar illness to my boyfriend.

I really need help explaining bipolar illness to my boyfriend he just doesn't get it I can't seem to find the words to say he can just get up everyday and face it when I get sick he doesn't understand why I can't he doesn't know how to be there for me he's confused and scared I'm going through something right now I've been taking care of mom for2 years she has Alzheimer's and other physical ailments I've been drinking a lot trying to cope she's in and out of hospitals and need lots of care I just lost it the other night ended up in the ER I don't know how to tell my family I can't take care of her and myself any advice would be great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
RapidFlyer
(male)

RapidFlyer HB User
Re: I really need help explaining bipolar illness to my boyfriend.

It sounds as though you are near your breaking point as far as taking care of your mother. However you tell your family: tell them. You might try first explain to them that you have a diagnosed mental illness and describe bi-polar.

For me stress is a major trigger for depressive and manic episodes. I can image how caring for your mother is a significant challenge. Let your family know this and tell them that you need help in caring for her.

Please drop the drinking. I know it can seem to smooth some of the jagged edges, but it's a no win proposition over time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
SwingLow
(female)

SwingLow HB User

First of all, Im sorry for all the things you are trying to juggle right now. My mom was a serious alcoholic and trying to manage care for someone else while you feel like your drowning is so hard. Have you ever tried providing your boyfriend with reading materials about bipolar? Sometimes I think seeing it as a medical condition as opposed to an emotional one is easier for people to understand. I hope this helps in some way

Old 07-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Diverdan8
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Just a quick post from me.

The few people I bother to tell about it I always just start with its just like being on a roller coaster all the time, my mood can change as quickly as ride.

Sometimes you times your heading up and your on top of the world, but with a napping in the back of your mind saying 'what goes up must come down' and the down in a quick and harsh as being on the ride. Other times your on the cork screw section of the ride and you don't know if your coming or going it feels like you have lost control over your life.

its always going to be hard for him or others to understand what they have never been through, so I guess you have to bare with him a little there why he learns what your like in each stage and what if anything he should do that can help.

You have to remember that again depending on your stage up or down you react differently to what is said.

start with the roller coaster bit and see where the conversation goes hopeful he will say stuff or want to know a little more and he'll learn.

Is there know way you could get him caring for your mum, idk if your in the uk or not, but if you are see your gp they can sort a care package out which hopefully would allow you to take a step back

Regards

Dan

Reply Reply