It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Could Adderal cause mania?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
Mary Louise
(female)

Mary Louise HB User
Could Adderal cause mania?

I have some form of Bipolar Disorder. Dx. at age 53 and am now 66. Also ADHD. I been dxíd with BP1, Rapid Cycling, BPNOS, etc. My therapist is treating me for Complex PTSD, anxiety and questions the BP diagnosis, but my psych says there are forms of BP that donít meet the text book criteria and he thinks that what I have. Thus I take Seroquel, Trileptal for the BP along with a slew of other meds. I also have been dxíd with ADHD, OCD and various medical problems. I saw him 2 days ago and we decided to switch my Ritalin for ADHD to Adderall (at my request) as I didnít feel the Ritalin was working. I also just finished a 5 month journey getting off of Klonopin, but used 15mg of Valium to do that (based on the Benzo Buddies protocol). Dr. wants me to stay on the Valium until my next visit in 6 weeks at which time Iíll probably start weaning off of it.

Well since I started the Adderall I havenít slept and am wondering if it might have set off some mania. I was up at 3am yesterday and no sleep at all last night. Laid in bed last night, but finally got up at 3am to finish working on baby invitations. Currently working on a video for my granddaughterís birthday. I canít sleep even thou I last night I took 2 sleeping pills and at 4:30am I took 10mg of Valium and tried to lay back down. I am tired, but not sleepy. Yesterday was a nightmare. It took me hours trying to decide on the right font for the invitations, same with the baby quilt Iím making. Just couldnít think, but also canít stop thinking. Didnít help that last night I spent hours obsessing about an ultrasound report regarding thyroid cancer I had 38 years ago where some tiny nodules showed up and the report suggested I have a radioactive iodine scan, which is a nightmare.

I donít plan on taking the Adderall today as it made me very nervous and anxious. Could this be some mania starting and if I stop the Adderall will it likely resolve itself? Canít call my doctor as itís the weekend and heíll just want to up my Seroquel, which I wonít do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Kylekat
(female)

Kylekat HB UserKylekat HB User
Re: Could Adderal cause mania?

Adderall is an amphetamine based stimulant and it will most definitely keep you up at night. You shouldn't be taking it anytime near bedtime.

Reply Reply