It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

Trileptal = Mood Stabilizer?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
sonja342
(female)

sonja342 HB User
Question Trileptal = Mood Stabilizer?

Hello,

I was diagnosed as Bipolar w/ psychotic features years ago at the age of 17, and I've been on tons of different medications. I started off off on Risperdal by itself and hated the blunted emotions + weight gain it gave me so it was changed to Geodon. I turned out to be extremely allergic to Geodon and was taken off it. Then I went off medications completely until around 2-3 years ago. My doctor has me on 5 different medications currently but the one I have questions on is Trileptal. Has anybody else been given this as a mood stabilizer? and if so, Did it actually work? I've been on it for 2 years now and still feel down most of the time. Not fully depressed, just not in the greatest mood and I rarely feel happy. Every time I tell my doctor he just adjusts the dose. I currently take 300mg a day.

Other medications:
Abilify - 10mg (anti-psychotic)
Lexapro - 10mg (anti-depressant)
Hydroxyzine - 25mg (panic attacks)
Remeron - 30mg (insomnia + anti-depressant)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
BuddehGuy
(male)

BuddehGuy HB User
Re: Trileptal = Mood Stabilizer?

I was prescribed it for about 9 months for the same as you were, Bipolar 1 w/ Psychotic features. It didn't help as a mood stabilizer; the doctor's response was to continue increasing the dose. I was on 900mg daily after adjusting for about 4 months, and she wanted to continue increasing until the correct dose was found (and told me to try increasing at 300mg intervals for a few days in between to see how it was tolerated). It turned out 1200mg caused some sort of very short-lived paralysis of my legs after the dose took effect, the first time it happened I thought I'd had a stroke or something. 900mg wasn't effective in stabilizing mood, so I moved on to other options.

You're still on a very lose dose of it though, the upper end is 2400mg a day. I'd say give it a shot at 450-600mg depending on what the doctor wants to increase it to and see if it helps.

Other meds at the time were:
dextroamphetamine 5mg 2x daily (ADHD)
zoloft 25mg daily
temazepam 30mg for insomnia

Current meds are same as above minus the zoloft and with change to plain amphetamine salts / adderall 20mg 2x daily on suggestion of doctor, and depakote xr 1000mg daily as mood stabilizer. I've felt more normal since the depakote was started than I had in years.

I have a question for you as well... how is Remeron working for insomnia? I'm looking to taper off of temazepam with the help of my doc, but that won't eliminate the insomnia issues.

Reply Reply