It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Lamictal titration

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
    JacobPDX
    (male)

JacobPDX HB User
    Lamictal titration

I was diagnosed recently with bipolar depression and put on Lamictal and Seroquel. I've dealt with a diagnosis of depression/anxiety for the past 25 years and put on various SSRI or SNRI drugs. The only time during this I ever felt "good" was on an SDRI Wellbutrin, but it also caused severe tinnitus. During one of my sessions with my doctor we together had the epiphany that possibly I've never settled into a drug, because the wrong thing has been being treated. She stated how a lot of people with bipolar struggle with regulated dopamine levels vs serotonin or norepinephrine and these drugs help but suppressing certain receptors as well as sometimes spike dopamine.

With all that said, I've felt like I'm struggling some on specifically the Lamictal. I started 25 mg for two weeks, then 50 mg for one week, then 100 mg on out, which should be the "therapeutic dose", though some need to go higher she stated.

During this titration, I've felt a big manic. On just 25 mg I felt extreme anger/rage, agitation, anxiety, racing thoughts. On 50mg it wasn't a lot better, but we upped the seroquel as well. The goal to go higher is there, but also to be sensitive to every body being different and maybe I can't tolerate higher. Yesterday I took 50mg at bedtime, then 25 mg during the day, which 25 mg seroquel at the same time (day time use, 100mg at bedtime). I feel the most reasonable.

I've read many times online that people experienced a lot of similar feelings during the titration, but it leveled out when hit more of a therapeutic dose - my psych doctor said her colleagues agreed, of course there are the small percentage it just isn't a fit for, but you don't know until it's had time.

Did anybody else on here experience feeling rough and or manic during titration, but better when hit 100mg or 100mg+?

Thank you for your input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    lamictal, seroquel