It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Bipolar and Dry Mouth

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User
    Bipolar and Dry Mouth

Was wondering if anyone out there experiences dry mouth taking Lithium and Seroquel?
    Im posting for a friend who was recently diagnosed silent reflux after experiencing very bad dry mouth, like mucus in his mouth making it difficult to swallow food without drinking water....hes on meds for reflux with the hope this will eventually improve the mucus in his mouth which should leave him with just the dry mouth associated with taking the meds he does for Bipolar....happy to hear others opinions...ty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
    bprapcyc
    (male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User
    Re: Bipolar and Dry Mouth

Yes to both medications. I use Biotene to help moisturize my mouth.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
    Fstrader

Fstrader HB User

I am on Lithium and Clonazepam for sleep. I have had dry mouth with the sticky, slimy side effect for years now. Everything I have tried has failed. Sugarless gum and hard candy are temporary solutions. I am thinking of lowering my lithium dosage and asking my Doc to add either Lamictal or Tegretol. I am hesitant as to the lowering of my Lithium, as I slide into Mania quite easily. But the side effects do affect my mood, and it is really starting to get to me. Also, after many years on psychiatric meds with the dry mouth side affect, you could buy a car with the Money that has gone into my dental repair work! Oh my, this has turned into a rant. Unusual for a Bipolar 1?

Old 11-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
    bprapcyc
    (male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

Yup, same dry and sticky too. Biotene helps, but Lithium dries you out. Have you spoken to your dentist about a high fluoride prescription tooth paste? I have my teeth cleaned and fluoride varnished three times a year.

What dose of Lithium are you at? There are so many alternatives and additions you can make. Definitely bring this up with your Pdoc. You might want to consider Trileptal. It is the sister drug to Tegratol.

Amongst all the medications I take, Lithium and Seroquel are my saving grace. Did you know Seroquel is being used for sleep?

Reply Reply