It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Effexor withdrawals or Wellbutrin side effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2003, 05:36 AM   #1
    wobbly
    Veteran

wobbly HB User
    Effexor withdrawals or Wellbutrin side effects?

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of switching from Effexor to Wellbutrin. Here is the situation. I took my final dose of Effexor 4 days ago and have been on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL for 2-1/2 weeks. Ever since I quit the Effexor I have been noticing the following:
    -Electric zaps both in my brain and body
    -Terrible night sweats. I wake from a deep sleep in a freezing cold drenching sweat, have to change pajamas and sleep on the couch 'cuz my sheets are soaked.
    -Anxiety on waking up, severe enough that I have to take an Ativan. I usually only need them 2 times a week and my anxiety was actually decreasing, but now it's increasing.

So is this all from going off the Effexor, or could the Wellbutrin be causing it? Is it a passing phase or something I should be really alarmed about? The thing is, Wellbutrin really does seem to be getting my depression under control. I would really hate it if I then had to stop taking it because it was wrecking the rest of my life.

I am also on Lamictal 200 mg, Remeron 30 mg, Zyprexa 10 mg.

If anybody can shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    wobbly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    I got similar symptoms when I quit Zoloft. Not the same as Effexor but close, as both deal with serotonin.

Later on I was put on Wellbutrin. It was very good with depression, but so-so with anxiety.

Old 11-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #3
    jgurl1976

jgurl1976 HB User
    I went from effexor to welbutrin. Coming off effexor was hell but I was given xanax to help. When I started taking welbutrin I had those side effects. I didnt sleep for 4 days. They did finally go away. I am still on welbutrin today.

Jen

Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
    Steve_the_elf

Steve_the_elf HB User
    I wouldn't count on those symptoms ever going away. I'm very sour on Wellbutrin. I had terrible sweats and panic attacks that occured one right on the heels of the other. After about a month the panic attacks lessened to about four times a week, but the sweating never went away. I waited a
    (un)reasonable four months and then demanded I get of it.

Closed Thread