It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Bi-polar vs Bi-polar II vs Bi-Polar Rapid Cycling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
    Epiphany2003

Epiphany2003 HB User
    Question Bi-polar vs Bi-polar II vs Bi-Polar Rapid Cycling

I am so confused. I was initially diagnosed with major recurrent depression and generalized anxiety disorder. The pdoc started me on anti-depressants... Zoloft made me TOO happy, Wellbutrin made me TOO irritable and restless, and Lexapro sent me into a bad depressive state to where I was finally hospitalized a month ago. While in the hospital I was taken off AD's and put on mood stabilizers and diagnosed Bi-Polar.

Then I went in to see my regular pdoc after the hospitalization and he said I was Bi-Polar II. Then I just went back today for a med check and after talking some more and filling out some questionaires, he now says I am Bi-Polar with rapid cycling.

I am just SO confused now. I know the text-book definition differences of each, but I guess I am still stumped. So, am I Bi-Polar? I just don't get it. I thought everything was figured out when I was told I was Bi-Polar II, and now I have this different label of Bi-Polar Rapid Cycling and I just feel like a lab rat being tossed around.

Any feedback appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
    wobbly
    Veteran

wobbly HB User
    Re: Bi-polar vs Bi-polar II vs Bi-Polar Rapid Cycling

Well, it sounds like you are bipolar, particularly the part about antidepressants pushing you too far up. That is a classic sign of bipolar.
    It's not that unusual to go thru several diagnoses before hitting the "right" one.
    I think you can be rapid cycling whether you're bipolar I or bipolar II, though. Rapid cycling means more than 4 swings in a year. Depending on whether you hit true mania or just hypomania, that determines the I or II part.

"Gentlemen, nothing's too good for the proletariat!"
    --Union organizer "Big Bill" Heywood

Old 01-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
    thickman
    Inactive

thickman HB User
    Re: Bi-polar vs Bi-polar II vs Bi-Polar Rapid Cycling

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobbly
    Well, it sounds like you are bipolar, particularly the part about antidepressants pushing you too far up. That is a classic sign of bipolar.
    It's not that unusual to go thru several diagnoses before hitting the "right" one.
    I think you can be rapid cycling whether you're bipolar I or bipolar II, though. Rapid cycling means more than 4 swings in a year. Depending on whether you hit true mania or just hypomania, that determines the I or II part.
    What is a person that switches mood 2-3 times daily? Mis-diagnosed?

I think thats me

Closed Thread