It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bipolar Disorder Message Board

  • Risperdal

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
    inspirations
    Junior Member
     
    inspirations's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 44
    inspirations HB User
    Risperdal

    Just a few comments/questions about the drug. I started on it 2 weeks ago and for the first week I was elated. My mood swings were gone and even when they did arise I could easily ward them off. Then the 2nd week everything went crazy again. The happiness, the rage, and then the tears. All in a matter of minutes. And it is just as bad as it used to be before any of the drugs. Has this happened to anyone else on Risperdal? Was it really working that first week or did I just have more control over myself? Should I try and have the dose increased, or should I suggest getting off the drug completely? Also, has anyone else had a problem with eating while on Risperdal? I've found that I am eating everything in sight. For crying out loud, I've gained 5 lbs. in 2 weeks.

    Last time I went to the pdoc he told me that it sounded to him like bipolar. Ofcourse he didn't read the 15+ page journal I had been writing for the 2 weeks prior. (What a waste of time!) I'm not sure if this diagnosis is correct but I can guarantee a mood stabilizer is in order. I was wondering if any of you could share what mood stabilizers you are on, that way I cuold do some research on them.

    Thanks,
    Inspirations

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    mudhound's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Location: Bean Station, TN, usa
    Posts: 2,189
    mudhound HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    [but I can guarantee a mood stabilizer is in order. I was wondering if any of you could share what mood stabilizers you are on, that way I cuold do some research on them.

    Thanks,

    My wife has taken several. Amoung them has been Depakote, Topamax (dopeAmax), Abilfi or Ablify (Spelling), and maybe some more. I also hear that Lithem (salt) is used for mood.

    Hope this helps. Be sure to check my spelling. LOL I scare myself sometime with the gross misspllings.

     
    Old 02-24-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
    potchrazebie
    Member
     
    potchrazebie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 68
    potchrazebie HB User
    Talking Re: Risperdal

    Risperdal is an antipsychotic, not a mood drug.
    It does make some people gain weight.
    I take 3 mg/day. It helps with anti-social thoughts/behavior.
    You should be seeing a psychiatrist for psychiatric problems, not a primary care doctor (general practitioner). This is crucial. G.P.'s are not knowledgeable enough in the uses of psych meds.

    Last edited by potchrazebie; 02-24-2004 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fix

     
    Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
    angie75
    Senior Member
     
    angie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Chicag suburbs
    Posts: 126
    angie75 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inspirations
    Just a few comments/questions about the drug. I started on it 2 weeks ago and for the first week I was elated. My mood swings were gone and even when they did arise I could easily ward them off. Then the 2nd week everything went crazy again. The happiness, the rage, and then the tears. All in a matter of minutes. And it is just as bad as it used to be before any of the drugs. Has this happened to anyone else on Risperdal? Was it really working that first week or did I just have more control over myself? Should I try and have the dose increased, or should I suggest getting off the drug completely? Also, has anyone else had a problem with eating while on Risperdal? I've found that I am eating everything in sight. For crying out loud, I've gained 5 lbs. in 2 weeks.

    Last time I went to the pdoc he told me that it sounded to him like bipolar. Ofcourse he didn't read the 15+ page journal I had been writing for the 2 weeks prior. (What a waste of time!) I'm not sure if this diagnosis is correct but I can guarantee a mood stabilizer is in order. I was wondering if any of you could share what mood stabilizers you are on, that way I cuold do some research on them.

    Thanks,
    Inspirations



    Hi:

    Risperdol is a strong drug. It is technically an anti-psychotic mediaction, and some docs rx it for sleep. Use of if you rally need it, don't if you do not need it. Risperdol, and other drugs like it, can cause rare, but serious side effects, not all of which are temporary...that is why I say that. It is not a mood stabilizer. It is possibile that you felt relief at 1st because it gave you a temporary sedative effect.

    As far as mood stabilizers, there are quite a few: lithium, dapakote, tegretol, neurontin, topamax, trileptal. Several of them are ant-seizure meds originally, but are also used for BP. They all affect different people in different ways. My personal experinece has been as follows: can't take litium at all, depakote and tegretol caused a lot of weight gain, neurontin worked well for quite a few years then stopped, am currently on low-dose of tripletal for epilepsy and topamax for bipolar. Topamax gave me side effects for the first few weeks of initiating treatment, but I was fine once I adjutsed.
    I hope that helps some, and I hope you get something that helps you out,

    Angie

     
    Old 02-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
    potchrazebie
    Member
     
    potchrazebie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 68
    potchrazebie HB User
    Talking Re: Risperdal

    One of the permanent side effects of Risperdal angie75 is probably talking about is tardive dyskinesia. A few years ago a psych told me I could take up to 800 mg/day of vitamin E to help prevent this.
    Another mood stabilizer is Lamictal.

    Topamax makes some people lose weight.

     
    Old 02-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
    angie75
    Senior Member
     
    angie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Chicag suburbs
    Posts: 126
    angie75 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potchrazebie
    One of the permanent side effects of Risperdal angie75 is probably talking about is tardive dyskinesia. A few years ago a psych told me I could take up to 800 mg/day of vitamin E to help prevent this.
    Another mood stabilizer is Lamictal.

    Topamax makes some people lose weight.


    About thw vitamin E, you can safely take that amount of vitamin E (barring other health problems), but it is no guarantee of protection. I don't want to scare anyone. I just want to encourage informed choices. I have tardive dyskinesia (you cannot really tell anymore unless I take something that sets it off, or I have caffeine), but I am uncomfortable most of the time. For people who really need meds drugs that can cause it, those drugs are still a godsend, they can make life livable.

    Angie

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
    inspirations
    Junior Member
     
    inspirations's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 44
    inspirations HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    I want to thank all of you for your help and input. Turns out the doctor decided to take me off the Risperdal (I think mainly due to the eating everything in sight) and told me to take trileptal twise a day. He said it was for epilepsy (as you said angie) but can also be used to stabilize moods. It kind of stinks though because I have to have my birth control dosage doubled because he said it increases metabolism. (Anyone else taking this heard of that?) Although today I feel great, and I haven't had any side effects other than a little stomach pain earlier today. (Which I read on their website can be a SE.)

    Oh and potchrazebie - I see a psychiatrist, not a GP.

    Just to get a head start if this doesn't work I will be taking all your suggestions and reading up on them.

    Thanks Again!

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    index.html's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,943
    index.html HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by angie75
    About thw vitamin E, you can safely take that amount of vitamin E (barring other health problems), but it is no guarantee of protection... I have tardive dyskinesia (you cannot really tell anymore unless I take something that sets it off, or I have caffeine), but I am uncomfortable most of the time.
    Angie, I hear you saying that vitamin E doesn't guarantee protection, but is there any evidence that it might offer some protection (that you know of). I'm a new Zyprexa user-for sleep-and so, I'm curious.

    Also, I'm being nosy, but your comment about being uncomfortable from the TD... I'm curious how it feels on the inside. Don't answer if I'm overstepping by my bounds by asking, okay?

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #9
    angie75
    Senior Member
     
    angie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Chicag suburbs
    Posts: 126
    angie75 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inspirations
    I want to thank all of you for your help and input. Turns out the doctor decided to take me off the Risperdal (I think mainly due to the eating everything in sight) and told me to take trileptal twise a day. He said it was for epilepsy (as you said angie) but can also be used to stabilize moods. It kind of stinks though because I have to have my birth control dosage doubled because he said it increases metabolism. (Anyone else taking this heard of that?) Although today I feel great, and I haven't had any side effects other than a little stomach pain earlier today. (Which I read on their website can be a SE.)

    Oh and potchrazebie - I see a psychiatrist, not a GP.

    Just to get a head start if this doesn't work I will be taking all your suggestions and reading up on them.

    Thanks Again!


    I am glad you found something new to try. I am on trileptal for epilepsy, but it is a mood stablizer too like you said. I am sure I get the mood stabilizer effect from it as well as seizure control. The main side effect that I have had from it was sedation, which did lessen as I got used to it. I hope it works for you. As far as the birth control issue, trileptal as well as several other mood stabilizers (that are also ant-sizyre meds) make birth control pills less effective. You might want to consider using a back-up method (ie condoms, gel/foam, etc). I hope the trileptal helps you,

    Angie

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
    angie75
    Senior Member
     
    angie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Chicag suburbs
    Posts: 126
    angie75 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by index.html
    Angie, I hear you saying that vitamin E doesn't guarantee protection, but is there any evidence that it might offer some protection (that you know of). I'm a new Zyprexa user-for sleep-and so, I'm curious.

    Also, I'm being nosy, but your comment about being uncomfortable from the TD... I'm curious how it feels on the inside. Don't answer if I'm overstepping by my bounds by asking, okay?

    Here is What I know about I know about Tardive Dyskinesia:

    Which I am now caling TD, because I'm sick of typing it out. . And, no, you are not over-stepping your bounds...I'm the one who brought it up. First, I want to explain something that noone ever makes clear, you can have it and it isn't obvious all the time. When I was diagnosed it WAS very obvious. I went to the ER AGAIN, after being diagnosed multiple times w/acute dytonic reactions, which are supposed to be temoopary. The thing is there was no breal in between the last 2, and there was also no "cause", aka ant-psychotic medication. One of the neuros from my office came in, w/his parade of residents, diagnosed me, and left, just like that. So, there I was, w/my jaw moving against my will, my back arching, my hands and feet twitching. The neuro said there was nothing he could do.

    Needless to say I wnet home and called my psychiatrist and said "you better tell me this is going to get better than this or I don't know what I'll do...." ....you can fill in the blanks. The psychiatrist said that most cases of TD althouh they donot completely go away don't stay as bad as mine was and drugs like klonipin can help a little w/the difscomfort, which it did, A LITTLE. But, I was miserable for a long time, and sometimes still am, but it was alot worse than this. I did have the diagnosis confirmed by the movement disorders clinic at Rush university medicalk center to be sure.


    Anyway, you asked what it feels like. When it was bad: a pulling sensation in your jaw, like the top part wants to move independent of the bottom part (in 2 different directions), and it actually does move against your will...it really hurts. Your back arches in a muscle spasm, which also hurts after a while. Your arms and legs can twich, as can your whole body. It looks similar to a seizure, or more accurately parkinson's disease. Just imagine your whole body moving in ways you don't want it to, and the resulting msucle tension and pain that might come with that.

    Now, it is different. It has calmed down from when it was 1st diagnosed, and I quit smoking and don't drink very much caffeine, which set it off. Plus, I just can;t take any anti-psychotics (or anti-nauseas drugs, or degongestants), plus several anti-depressants set it off too. There are some drugs that really "shouldn't" set it off, that do like zoloft. Like my neuro said, the onlt drugs we cannot guarantee will set it off are anti-seizure drugs.

    I am sorry of always seem on a soap-box about the ant-psychotics, I just want everyone to make informed choices. When I was 19, I had anti-psychotics shoved down my throat at a not- so- great hospital in Champaign, specifically 'stelazine' (which has barely been used since the 50's). I wish I had more information when I chose to take all those, that's all.

    About the vitamin E, My pysychiatrist suggested after I was diagnosed, so I am not sure if it is about protection or alleviating symptoms. I am sure that it wouldn't hurt to try. If it is just about sleep, unless you have a substance abuse problem, I would consider sleeping pills, or even trazadone just at
    night.


    Angie

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
    potchrazebie
    Member
     
    potchrazebie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 68
    potchrazebie HB User
    Cool Re: Risperdal

    The vitamin E is for prevention. It is an antioxidant and "scavenges free radicals" (like hydroxyl ions) which ultimately accumulate and can cause TD.

    Angie I know you said you had the diagnosis verified, but I have heard that caffeine can set off epilepsy too. I hope you're doing okay. The image of someone going through what you mentioned makes me worry about that person.

    TD mainly effects older people who have been taking antipsychotics for many years. It usually starts with an involuntary rolling of the tongue, and progresses slowly. However Risperdal and the other "atypical antipsychotics" are believed to have less of a chance of causing TD than the older antipsychotics.
    A good shrink will check you for TD periodically by having you open your mouth wide for a few seconds. Or he may just be able to monitor for it while you are talking.
    Good luck.

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    index.html's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,943
    index.html HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Wow! You-guys are a wealth of information! Thanks so much for your answers.

    You know, it never occurred to me that the disorders that involve involuntary movements were so uncomfortable for the person who suffers with them. I'll be more understanding in the future but I'm sad for you...

    Actually my "trist" wanted to do Klonopin for sleep, but I was scared of the addiction risk (even though I've never had an abuse problem). Antidepressants like Trazodone - which have worked well in the past - are out because my insomnia this time results from SSRI-induced hypomania. But that's a separate post!

    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #13
    Jmr1969
    Junior Member
     
    Jmr1969's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Howell,MI USA
    Posts: 16
    Jmr1969 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Risperdal is the drug of choice to start with for children with BPD, or so says my son's psychiatrist. It has helped my 5&6 year old boys, the 5 yr old was extremely aggressive (mostly impulsively not premeditated) Both boys are comorbidly BPD, aspberger (5yr)/high funtioning autistic(6yr), and ADHD. He'd have 3 emotions extremely happy, furious, and sobbing sad. After risperdal calmed the aggressive behavior, however he is even quicker to cry than before. (look at him funny or try to help him and he tears off running and crying) it is a good thing for him though cause before he would just throw things and knock things over now he's actually giving himself a "timeout" to calm down. My older son started raging after being on just stimulants for impulsiveness, so i did more research on BPD and realized that he was probably BPD also and disscussed with both doctors and started risperdal with him also. (and realized that they probably inherited from both me and their father, Im seing a psych next week)He's a totally different kid now. He even told me the other day "Mama, the medicine helps me" I was so happy to hear this.
    both are on concerta and risperdal. We are still working on getting right meds and dosages. Anyway my son's psychiatrist said adults use the other meds that are listed above by others. Welbutrin is also being tried because it has an anti-depressant and stimulant effect without exasberating the bipolar symptoms or so iv'e read in BPD books.
    Janice

     
    Old 02-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #14
    Kimberly8
    Member
    (female)
     
    Kimberly8's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Massachusetts
    Posts: 50
    Kimberly8 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inspirations
    Just a few comments/questions about the drug. I started on it 2 weeks ago and for the first week I was elated. My mood swings were gone and even when they did arise I could easily ward them off. Then the 2nd week everything went crazy again. The happiness, the rage, and then the tears. All in a matter of minutes. And it is just as bad as it used to be before any of the drugs. Has this happened to anyone else on Risperdal? Was it really working that first week or did I just have more control over myself? Should I try and have the dose increased, or should I suggest getting off the drug completely? Also, has anyone else had a problem with eating while on Risperdal? I've found that I am eating everything in sight. For crying out loud, I've gained 5 lbs. in 2 weeks.

    Last time I went to the pdoc he told me that it sounded to him like bipolar. Ofcourse he didn't read the 15+ page journal I had been writing for the 2 weeks prior. (What a waste of time!) I'm not sure if this diagnosis is correct but I can guarantee a mood stabilizer is in order. I was wondering if any of you could share what mood stabilizers you are on, that way I cuold do some research on them.

    Thanks,
    Inspirations
    My daughter was on Risperdal for quite some time. She ate frozen bread non stop. Gained a lot of weight in her face...but it helped with hallucinations, not so much the mood swings though.

     
    Old 02-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #15
    angie75
    Senior Member
     
    angie75's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Chicag suburbs
    Posts: 126
    angie75 HB User
    Re: Risperdal

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potchrazebie
    The vitamin E is for prevention. It is an antioxidant and "scavenges free radicals" (like hydroxyl ions) which ultimately accumulate and can cause TD.

    Angie I know you said you had the diagnosis verified, but I have heard that caffeine can set off epilepsy too. I hope you're doing okay. The image of someone going through what you mentioned makes me worry about that person.

    TD mainly effects older people who have been taking antipsychotics for many years. It usually starts with an involuntary rolling of the tongue, and progresses slowly. However Risperdal and the other "atypical antipsychotics" are believed to have less of a chance of causing TD than the older antipsychotics.
    A good shrink will check you for TD periodically by having you open your mouth wide for a few seconds. Or he may just be able to monitor for it while you are talking.
    Good luck.

    Believe me here, I have had the specialists of specilaists verify this diagnosis again and again. The rush movement disorders clinic in Chicago is one of the best there is. There evals are very comprehensive. And as much as it is pretty much latent now, as long as I am careful about what I ingest, I am stuck with it. What you said about caffeine and seizures is true as well, that is why I limit my intake. The tricky thing about TD that noone realizes is that any "good" psychiatrist can check you as often as they want, it's called "tardive" dyskinesia because the symptoms show up after-the-fact, frankly when it's too late, and the damage is done. And, yes, the theory on atypical ant-psychotics is that they are less likely to cause it than old drugs like stelazine and haldol, however they can still cause it. I know the odds are slim, but these drus are relatively new so there are no long-term studies availible. I would never suggest that someone stop taking a drug they really need, I just think the concept of "do you really need it" should be given some thought. By the way, your generalization about how TD generally progresses slowly is just not true. Maybe that heppens in some cases, but not all by any means. And, yes, it is *most* common in older people who have been on the drugs for many years, but I just want everyone to know that isn't always the case. Potchrazebie, you seem like an intelligent person , but you really don't have to always be right, and believe me, you don't want to know more than me on this one,

    Angie

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Two Question's about Risperdal.... Sari05 Mental Health 4 06-10-2008 06:17 PM
    risperdal guru44 Schizophrenia 1 05-15-2007 07:55 PM
    Son's new med is Risperdal tylersmom29 Bipolar Disorder 4 09-23-2006 02:24 PM
    Risperdal? nuttyprof. Schizophrenia 7 03-23-2006 08:03 AM
    risperdal for OCD?? obsessor Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 9 04-06-2005 09:40 PM
    Risperdal anyone? sjd1654 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 14 03-07-2005 12:29 PM
    Low-dose Risperidone (Risperdal) in HFA and Asperger's Redhead23 Asperger's Syndrome 2 02-15-2004 02:10 AM
    Risperdal and the unknown side effects El Anomaly Schizophrenia 0 07-31-2003 03:40 PM
    Risperdal question missmoody Schizophrenia 3 05-08-2003 12:16 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!