It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• "Bad"manic episodes instead of "good"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User
    "Bad"manic episodes instead of "good"

I am just a partially treated BiPolar due to insurance. (Only on an antidepressant).

It seems that when most people experience mania, they are hyper and feel really wonderful. I wish. My episodes make me cry, scream at times, want to kick things, and do irrational things such as searching my husbands e-mail, become paranoid, have racing thoughts, etc. When I was a teenager, I kicked holes through doors and walls.

Does anyone else have this type of mania? I wish I had the "hyper" kind instead. :/

Also, have any women out there noticed that hormones have triggered their mania? My last two episodes occurred during ovulation and now right before aunt flo.

Anyone interested, please respond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
    bluelady

bluelady HB User
    Re: "Bad"manic episodes instead of "good"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulaRoet
    I am just a partially treated BiPolar due to insurance. (Only on an antidepressant).

It seems that when most people experience mania, they are hyper and feel really wonderful. I wish. My episodes make me cry, scream at times, want to kick things, and do irrational things such as searching my husbands e-mail, become paranoid, have racing thoughts, etc. When I was a teenager, I kicked holes through doors and walls.

Does anyone else have this type of mania? I wish I had the "hyper" kind instead. :/

Also, have any women out there noticed that hormones have triggered their mania? My last two episodes occurred during ovulation and now right before aunt flo.

Anyone interested, please respond
    I'm recently diagnosed bi-polar 2 after three years of treatment on an SSRI for depression (which I no longer take) and I'm still trying to understand this disorder, especially the mania/hypomania. I don't feel good or wonderful at all. I feel like you described. I have racing thoughts, I cry, I want to throw and kick things, including myself. I don't understand this part of the disorder at all. I never feel dellusional, have feelings of grandeur or feel paranoid. Mostly I either feel like I'm going crazy or I'm depressed. I don't get it.
    I can't answer you about the hormones because I went through menopause almost two years ago (which they tell me is what helped trigger the bp2). I can tell you that my meno symptoms were magnified 100 x's.
    I hope someone answers you because this confuses me too.

Bluelady

Old 06-17-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Yes, it is confusing. I wish they'd do more research on mental disorders and I wish society would see them as real diseases! The brain is the most important organ of the body, but not many take it seriously!

Luckily, I'm only having manic episodes once or twice a month. I decided to put them on a calendar and see if there's a pattern! Gotta do my own research.

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #4
    weasel
    Veteran
    (female)

weasel HB User

i think hormones have a huge impact on bp......before i was diagnosed as bipolar, it was like lock work. id be depressed for the week before and week of my period, then id be fine for two weeks, then id be depressed.....like severly depressed, couldnt get out of bed, couldnt eat, wanted to die depressed. im now on birth control, which seems to be helping keep my hormones at an even level. i think the lamictal is pretty good too........be very wary of antidepressents.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

I need antidepressants. I can't survive without them, however, when I finally get pregnant, I'll have to go off. It makes me wonder how many of us women are mis-diagnosed and aren't really bipolar. Hormones can really affect some of us.
    When I'm depressed, I want to eat. I wish had loss of appetite!! (On a diet now, though!)

Old 06-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
    bluesnowflake
    Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User

"I wish they'd do more research on mental disorders and I wish society would see them as real diseases! The brain is the most important organ of the body, but not many take it seriously!"

Hey PaulaRoet,
    Oh my, they do HUGE amounts of research on neurological disorders, including mental diseases. I am currently entering this field myself actually. But I agree, it's VERY confusing. And I do know that MOST of society sees mental illness as something someone brings onto to themselves, and that they can overcome it easily. It's very sad when people do not recognize the real cause. However, SO many people assume they must something wrong with them and immediately self diagnosis depression, mania, etc. And thats where most of society sees the major problems- these people who whine and complain about regular ups and downs and think the world would look better through paxil coloured glasses.

Oh I just realized how much I got off track here...sorry .

My hyper are manias, I LOVE MYSELF so much on them. I wish I was like that all the time. I probably wouldn't be alive though. Ah well. They are great times. I seem to be usually semi depressed the week of aunt flo, and a few days before. I hate it. Mainia forever .

blue

What meds are you on?

Old 06-18-2004, 03:56 AM   #7
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Blue -- I'm in Lexapro, only. My insurance doesn't cover psychiatry and my MD would only give me the Lexapro. My husband just has to deal with my swings about twice a month.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
    twisted123

twisted123 HB User

I also think that changing hormones in my daughter was the key to the on set of BP. It all happenened about the same time but it was also combined when my mom got sick with cancer and died just a month later.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Twisted, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It makes me wonder if your daughter and some of us are misdiagnosed. Your daughter's situation sounds circumstantial.
    I hope your daughter is recovering well.

Old 06-18-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
    twisted123

twisted123 HB User

Thanks Paula.

I do think that she has the right dx the more I read about BP. She is doing much better now that she is balanced on her meds. Do you feel that you are misdiagnosed?

Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 PM   #11
    frazz911

frazz911 HB User

Paula...nice to meet you.

I am new to bi-polar, just dx today. But I do understand the kind of mania you are talking about. I get that kind without as much anger I am just aggitated. I will fill you in more about the hormones thing when I have a few months of this under my belt.

Frazz

Old 06-19-2004, 05:43 AM   #12
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Twisted, not really, because I do have swings. I just can't get the correct medication until my husband gets his insurance AND until I have a baby. (Been trying to conceive for 1.5 years).

Old 06-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #13
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User

the wife can have some real bad ones (mania's). She spends and spends until there is nothing left to spend. Also, she will see things and have the racing thoughts. there is more but i need the time to allow all of them to come forth.

Mudhound

Old 07-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
    Paet
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paet HB User

Frazz, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. What prompted you to finally get help? I feel so hopeless right now. Without insurance, I have to suffer.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #15
    Steve_the_elf

Steve_the_elf HB User

With one exception, I have ONLY had bad mania (or hypomania really in my case)previous to my treatment. I was extremely irritable, experienced rages, suffered from panic attacks, and had no patience with anyone. I didn't feel grandeur; I felt like an evil and/or incompetent person. This is one of the reasons it took so long for me to be diagnosed. I read all the literature about BP and thought, "this can't be me. I NEVER feel good!" After finally finding the right doctor for me, I learned that mania does NOT always feel like an emotional high. He explained that BP is more like having a "fast and slow" switch rather than "up and down." This also helped to explain why some days I just felt I could do nothing at all, eventhough I did not feel at all depressed. Since then, I have tried to explain it to others that way. It sounds a lot more accurate for a lot of us.

Closed Thread