It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• Lamictal side affects... what are they?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
    oldwheat

oldwheat HB User
    Cool Lamictal side affects... what are they?

Would some folks please comment about Lamictal....

Tiredness, dizziness, possible rash... what about sexual side affects? Also could it affect your creativity, mental sharpness etc.????

Also is anyone on Prozac (or any other antidepressant) with Lamital?
    Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Lamictal side affects... what are they?

The wife is not nor has she been on that med

Mudhound

Old 07-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User

Hi

I found lamictal to be a medication that helped me with both my anxiety and depression. Last summer I was up to 300mgs a day which was too much for me. I felt tired, lethargic and suffered some memory loss, but the good far outweighed the bad. I got off of it for various reasons really, unrealated to Lamictal, but I wanted to start a clean slate, so I did.

I have just recently started it up again with a 25mg dose once daily for 2 weeks and then will slowly work up to 100mgs a day. If you develop the rash, stop it immediately! Other than that I don't think there's a lot to worry about. The side affects are minimal and go away shortly. It is an excellent drug for be-polar and depression especially used with something else in my case. I take celexa, klonopin and lamictal.

It seems to work for me, I hope it does for you. Good luck...

Bill

Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
    BrianKosh
    (male)

BrianKosh HB User
    Exclamation Re: Lamictal side affects... what are they?

I am on 200mg of lamictal, just started the dosage today. My doctor started me out on 25 mg for 2 weeks, then 50mg for 2 weeks, then 100 for 2 weeks and now I am upto 200mg... But I do beleive I will probably hit the 500mg. It's like after the dosage has built up, in about 2 weeks, it's like it isn't functioning anymore.. THAT is why I think the dosage will go up. I am going to ask if I can raise the welbutrim(sp??) as well, at 450mg, it is like your brain loses communications with your verbal communications and that the words sit there, but you can't connect the verbal communications with that word floating around... so why would I want to go higher...?? uhh, ewrrr, ummm..
    It doesn' effect me like the 450 did.. possibly because one was 300 and the other 150mg, xl, but I hiughly doubt it.. They both help the depression for the most part, but the mood swings are still there, and quite severe, plus the crying and fits of anger have returned.. It does not help that a close friend is working in IRAQ, going to his web page gives me severe anxiety... he up dates it once aweek, and I try and visit it, when I am oh lets just say while in a mania stage.. umm, anyway... my meory is shorter than a gnats (3 seconds or less) short term memory that is.. back to the Lanictal..

besides rash, mild headaches, aches and pains, that for a few moment terified me that i thought I was having a mild heart attack, I mean if it didn't have to have pain down the left arm and in the chest area... but I found out the pai was drug related (knocks on wood) my doctor's tell me I have a strong heart, so I dunno.. I have noticed while taking both AD's, that my paranoia has gone up about 500% more so, I start to doubt everything, and the scary part is.. I am not sure which frame of mind is the right frame of mind..

As for interfering wit mental sharpness, that is the welbutrim I take.. my sister inlaw pointed that out that she has known several people on it, having memory issues.. Also take note, besides the above, lot of ad's can have side effects of memory issues, especially Amitriptyline(sp??) I once knew someone on it, and asked her if her doctor could take her off of it and do another drug, she did, and the memory issues vanished.. I have noticed I am leveling off, but only so slightly.. I went through sevral AD's, and they all seeme dto fail after 3 months. INCLUDING prozac. Majority of SSRI's will cause sexual issues.. usually bad..

lamictal will, for some, cause Tiredness, dizziness, possible rash if taken in a large start up quantity, I could never spell, so thank gawd for spell checkers and THAT is not drug related.. In others, Lamictal can cause you to be a bit hyper..

side effects (listed for the drug): blurred vision, dizziness, double vision, headache.. (been there done that, and still too, like right now.) , nausea, uncoordinated movements.. ( i am like that w/o the drug.. ) and vomiting..

less common effects.
    Abdominal, anxiety, constipation, depression (gotta love that one) flu-like symptoms, sore throat and tremor..

Beware, I know for a fact, or personal experience that ignoarnce is sometimes bliss when it comes to prescription drugs, some people will start to worry, and think they too are in that 1% or less group, when they are not.. I know I once mentioned seritinine syndrome and may have caused more issues than the actual issue.

I alway feel bad about that and wish I would just shut up once in a while. btw, if u have not noticed by now, I am a bit on the up side.. at least I no longer crash and burn afterwards, or at least for 24hours.. that psychologically alone can cause me issues.. Of all the other issues going on, I can honestly say, going in and out of remission from Ulcerative Colitis is not helping me... I have it fried into my brain, that even sub-conciously avoid certain foods, even though I can at the moment actually eat those kinds of foods.. It plays with your mind.. adding on with some ever so fun genetic issues, passed on by the male saide of the birth parents, I have internalized that as causing issues.. I shouldn't, but IT DOES..

The AD's I am on now are basically my "end of the line" W/O them, I would not be here typing this mile long message....

Yep, that bad.

OK, so I just typed way too much..

I also find it weird that I actually know I am in a mania state, and start avoiding people untill I level out..

Uhh, I actually told my doctor that, ine really rotten days, BL ( before Lamictal) that I would take narcotic pain killers, for the buzz alone, but not daily for the fear of addcition, even though they are mild meds. He never thought anything of it.. So THAT has also made me wonder about that doctor.

Lamictal is for the treatment of Bi-Polar 1 issues, and other medical issues that doctor's have determined it works with.. and If my spelling was actually better I could actually type some out.. but I seem to be having the word floating about but can't say it issue again, because something is just a bit cockeyed upstairs.. Depression can actaully cause memory issues..

There's no short version of this message, so I hope u didn't doze off.

so, I must apologize for writing this 43 page book, and will stop now, and hope this helps..

either way, good luck..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldwheat
    Would some folks please comment about Lamictal....

Tiredness, dizziness, possible rash... what about sexual side affects? Also could it affect your creativity, mental sharpness etc.????

Also is anyone on Prozac (or any other antidepressant) with Lamital?
    Thanks!

Old 07-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
    5alive
    (female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User

Hello Everyone!
    I've been on lamictal 100mgs at nite for 6mths.It grabed my mania and slaped it into shape.I haven't noticed side effects.
    I am bi-polar 1,with add.disorder.I also take trileptal300mgs 4 times a day,seroquel 200mgs,prozac20mgs 3 aday.For add,adderall for 4yrs.
    Now I know that sounds like a huge amount of meds...it is...but,I was not
    properly diagnosed.They only knew of my depresions...why see a dr.otherwise?I had 16ects at 17.my manias were not fun .I blew money away like no tomorrow.I've been married 25yrs.I was sexually on a rampage before
    lamictal.My family is very supportive,my husbands a saint.I take my meds,
    faithfully.Oh,Bi-polar do's run in familys,My moms mother comitted suicide
    and left 10 children.Mom was 2,the baby6mths.The grown brother and sister,
    split the kids and raised them.Nan,i called her, raised the girls.Nan always had bizare ups and downs.
    Long story short,my mom saw me in a mania,and went to the dr.
    I think she should have gotten at least a commision for her diagnoses.
    It's taken many drs.,meds,family,and friends.
    I'm on my meds!!
    Sorry this was so long,I'm really not a drama queen,I just have a life like one.LOL..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    5alive

Old 10-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
    FallenFaery
    (female)

FallenFaery HB User

Lamictal has been awesome for my depression at 300 mg daily..No bad side effects.....finally a little stabilization after 40 yrs..but just lost insurance...sooooooooooo Sugar we're goin down swingin...
    But....hopefully i will figure this out soon...

Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
    BrianKosh
    (male)

BrianKosh HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Lamictal side affects... what are they?

I never tried doing this or even asking, but because of the price of the medication, u might want to see if you can get it for free, will need to know who makes the medication (GlaxoSmithKline i think). Alternative, keep asking the doctor for freebies.. you're not really suppose to go off cold turkey that i know of, if u are not sure about when or how u will get your next refill, ween yourself off as u weened your self onto it..
    on the flip side, I was getting headaches, constantly. I was being treated for headaches for years, and was finally free of them, until Lamictal came along.. great drug none the less..

about it's price, in some cases the 200mg tablet, in qty of 100 was just 10 to 20 dollars more in price than the 100mg tablet, search around for the least amount in cost, including mailorder. If you have to pay more than 200 out of the pocket, you are paying too much.. Otherwise, as suggested, as your doctor if there is any freebie program available directly from the pharmaceutical who makes it. Good luck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FallenFaery
    Lamictal has been awesome for my depression at 300 mg daily..No bad side effects.....finally a little stabilization after 40 yrs..but just lost insurance...sooooooooooo Sugar we're goin down swingin...
    But....hopefully i will figure this out soon...

Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
    klawk316
    (female)

klawk316 HB User

Brian, I'm sorry to hear your having such a bad time with mania right now. Did you ever consider Lithium alone, or mixed with Lamictal?

I found that when taking the Lithium it did away with my mania (which Lithium is best known for) and subsequently greatly diminished my depression. No need for any other med.

Also, antidepressants can really cause havoc for some BP folks, causing mood swings galore. Lamictal is known for acting as a mood stabilizer and as an antidepressive that won't cause mood swings. But for most people it does not do much for the mania. But for many folks it has eliminated the need for added antidepressants.

I found that I had more side effects with the Lithium then with Lamictal. But Lithium works best for me and I plan on returning to it.

Also, Lamictal is known for memory problems, word recall, etc. Sometimes these effects will go away on there own and then return every now and then. Sometimes a to big of a dose will cause this. The dose of Lamictal your doctor is suggesting sound much much to high to me. I suggest you find out more about other mood stabilizers. Please consider Lithium, many people have had great success with this drug, and also many have no side effects. k--

Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
    BrianKosh
    (male)

BrianKosh HB User
    Cool Re: Lamictal side affects... what are they?

Well here's the kicker to all this, the original post of this was beginning of thise year. Since then a lot has changed.. It seemed that nothing was really helping, and I started to wonder.. more so this time then before. I weened myself off the medication, and have actually not taken an anti-depressant for about 5 months.. So here is the really scary part.. I don't suffer from depression like I did while taking the drug.. I already informed my doctor of this.. So he knows what I did.. I actually feel better now then I have in years? This is in no way suggesting that anyone else do what I did, just thought since everything just seemed to fail to work properly, that maybe it was the medications making me depressed.. Am I 100% out of it? i have a few ups and downs.. but nothing serious, and nothing that can not be handled.. Have I ever weened myself off of anti-depressants before, I have actually tried to, the result was not the same, I actually became more depressed. So I Really do not understand what was going on.. I began again and was fine.. As for recomending the medication Lamictal or other medications, I will still do so. What works for some, does not work for others, and if u need to take them, so be it.. nothing wrong with it. ( I just wish the less expensive stuff worked as well, since, I just do not understand why someone can be THAT greedy that they have to profit off of someone elses issues.. With medicine it is different.. it should not bankrupt a person just to make them better, to help them.. if that made any sense.. ) If medication helps u, it is doing what it should for you. .. So I STILL wish everyone good luck, and that everything works out ok for you...

Oh, btw, i have taken lithium before, it left me a zombie, I never seemed to adapt to it, it left me a slug.. cheers.. best wishes..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by klawk316
    Brian, I'm sorry to hear your having such a bad time with mania right now. Did you ever consider Lithium alone, or mixed with Lamictal?

I found that when taking the Lithium it did away with my mania (which Lithium is best known for) and subsequently greatly diminished my depression. No need for any other med.

Also, antidepressants can really cause havoc for some BP folks, causing mood swings galore. Lamictal is known for acting as a mood stabilizer and as an antidepressive that won't cause mood swings. But for most people it does not do much for the mania. But for many folks it has eliminated the need for added antidepressants.

I found that I had more side effects with the Lithium then with Lamictal. But Lithium works best for me and I plan on returning to it.

Also, Lamictal is known for memory problems, word recall, etc. Sometimes these effects will go away on there own and then return every now and then. Sometimes a to big of a dose will cause this. The dose of Lamictal your doctor is suggesting sound much much to high to me. I suggest you find out more about other mood stabilizers. Please consider Lithium, many people have had great success with this drug, and also many have no side effects. k--

Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
    Toby706
    (male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

Hi,

I am questioning my time on Lamictal all together. I am BP 1 and have always counted on Lithium-the doc has me down to 900 mg/day!! And the Lamictal just makes me irratible/grouchy(no rash). I am just not sold on the idea of d/c my Lithium, for Lamictal-as one poster, I think it was klawk said-Lamictal is a not a good bet for someone w/mania. Any thoughts?

Old 11-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
    feelinglost
    (female)

feelinglost HB User

-My bpbf was put on lamictal about 2 months ago and I don't think it is working well for him either. It does seem to help some with the depression, but doesn't seem to do much at all for mania....I actually think it makes it worse. Especially the irritable/agitaition side of his mania. It seems now that if I say the slightest thing that he doesn't agree with or feels is offensive he goes off on me. His irritable moods are much, much worse.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #12
    Toby706
    (male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

It's me again... in regards to Lamictal and BP 1: it isn't working for me. I hope with doc's assistance to go back to Lithium and my antipsychotics, soon!!!

I never understood seizure medicine for a psychiatric condition anyways.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #13
    jen1008
    (female)

jen1008 HB User

Hi, I was on Lamictal 300mg all of last year and because of moving (no access to meds) was off for about 2 months. As a BPII I found it extremely helpful with out ANY side effects, except for the clumsiness for about two days when my dose was upped. I am now back on 75mg hopefully working my way up to maybe 150, if needed 200. I will never go back to 300 though, it didnt make any difference and was just more meds in my body. I'm also on adderall for lingering depression and ADD symptoms. My new psych just added trazadone 50mg for anxiety and insomnia. I dont know anything about it, ive only been on it for less than a week. My new psych is military and won't perscribe normal anti-anxiety meds because of soldiers abusing them. Go figure

Closed Thread