It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board

• bi-polar disorder binge drinking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
    jacky7

jacky7 HB User
    Unhappy bi-polar disorder binge drinking

hi im new here im a 60yr old with a 30yr old daughter who was diagnosed with bpd which has now been re-diagnosed as bipolar disorder ll with rapid cycling.i care for my daughter 24/7 and the thing i find most hard to deal with is the binge drinking which she has done for years as she did not know what was wrong with her.as we live in england we do not have as many clinics as in the usa and have to rely on the national health service.i would be glad of any suggestions on how to get her to stop the drinking as it has started to damage her liver also she has gained so much weight as she binge eats as well.on a binge she drinks about 3-4 bottles of vodka.at the moment her medication is 800mg carbamazepine daily plus she has been started on lamotrogine and is working up to 150mgs she also has rispiridone to take as and when she needs it and has been reducing her ciprimol.any suggestions would be most welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
    vixation

vixation HB User
    Re: bi-polar disorder binge drinking

All I can say about bipolar.....I went SEpt '03 to a psychiatrist just overwhelmed with life and he sat and wrote as I talked.....I wasn't even depressed, nor had I ever been manic, just tempermental at times. He diagnosed me as being bipolar....I accepted it, went on the wild roller coaster of pharmaceutical meds he kept overlapping without weaning me off....anything from Lithium to Lamictal, which a "second opinion" doc who told me I just suffered from anxiety disorder.....long story short and after about 15 Rx's, all those meds almost blew my mind.
    My new reputable doctor told me to be careful out there in the world of psychiatry...that bipolar was being very much misdiagnosed. I became suicidal...(and I'm the happiest one usually in the bunch...) I blame myself for not seeing the red flag with this little doctor who didn't even look me in the face and spent 5 minutes with me on each visit and NEVER listened to all the side efffects that were killing me. I thought of nothing but death and dying.

I am going to all natural route...I found a website (or God showed it to me) called [ removed ] .....just read it. Awesome. I started this all-natural antidepressant 3 days ago and can already feel a cleared head. Praise God.

Peace. My best to your daughter.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-22-2004 at 08:43 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites, use brand names only.

Closed Thread